cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an amd fx 8320 good for oculus rift?

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
I was going to get a 9790 but the power usage concerns me. Will an and fx 8320 3.5ghz see me through and also for gaming with my RX Vega 64.??
7 REPLIES 7

Richooal
Consultant
There are lots of threads already involving discussion about the FX 8320.
You probably should read them because not everyone seems to agree. Just search "FX 8320"
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
So does it suit? There is mixed messages and some say it doesn't meet the requirements

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Vega 64 is plenty for anything but the FX 8320 is questionable. In properly multi-threaded games, it's fine. The problem is many games aren't properly multit-hreaded and the single thread performance is pretty bad. On the bright side, those old FX chips are fairly easy to overclock the snot out of from what I've heard. So a fair bit of improvement can be had if you're willing to go that route.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can try it, but unfortunately the FX chips are really lacking and aren't that great in general. I wouldn't spend any money on an FX chip today (I used to have one, it was bad). Better save some more money and get a Ryzen or something decent.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
I just going to buy a ryzen

BeeGee74
Honored Guest
I have been running smoothly with an FX8320 and an 8GB RX480 card

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer

BeeGee74 said:

I have been running smoothly with an FX8320 and an 8GB RX480 card

It is more electrically economical to get a ryzen.