New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Go - Little more than a Mobile phone VR Enclosure

Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,320
Art3mis
So Facebook Announces Oculus Go at $199...

But without positional tracking and hand pressence this is a huge step backwards in my opinion. I mean sure we all know that the future of VR will be stand alone decives no larger than a pair of glasses or contacts... 

But thats 10 year out and this is much like the CV1 trying to do too much and not excelling in any specific area. 

Don't get me wrong the CV1 is good... but its a first generation consumer piece of kit... we will all look back at it and wonder how we put up with it much in the way we did when we went from dk2 to CV1... 

But why do we need Oculus Go??  I am struggling to see who this is aimed at?

What are your thoughts on it? 

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

Comments

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,577 Valuable Player
    Price is key. $199 is a very good price.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,218 Valuable Player
    If the picture is better than that on the Gear VR (and the Gear VR had an excellent image)  it's the perfect replacement for that and every other mobile VR device.  Films, photos and the odd game - some Gear VR games are fantastic.

And the price...
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 1,926
    Project 2501
    edited October 11
    Tim74UK said:

Samsung who manufacture GearVR have now joined Google Daydream to make Androind the Mobile VR standard. If Samsung decide to stop GearVR production in 2018 then the whole Oculus GearVR platform collapses without a HMD to support it.

Oculus ‘GO’ might prolong the life of GearVR beyond Samsung but will it be enough to save it when everyone else supports Daydream?
  • Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,320
    Art3mis
    Atmos73 said:
    Tim74UK said:

Samsung who make GearVR have now joined Google Daydream to make Androind the Mobile VR standard. If Samsung decide to stop GearVR production in 2018 then the whole Oculus GearVR platform collapses without a HMD to support it.

Oculus ‘GO’ might prolong the life of GearVR beyond Samsung but will it be enough to save it when everyone else supports Daydream?

Ahhh I didn't know that and this explains it.
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
    Tim74UK said:
    Atmos73 said:
    Tim74UK said:

Samsung who make GearVR have now joined Google Daydream to make Androind the Mobile VR standard. If Samsung decide to stop GearVR production in 2018 then the whole Oculus GearVR platform collapses without a HMD to support it.

Ahhh I didn't know that and this explains it.
    It's a theory but it falls down if you know anything about Google Daydream.
  • anthonshanthonsh Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited October 11
    This is exactly what Ive been waiting for. I dont have a good PC and Ive been a GearVR user for over a year. My phone contract is almost up. This completely changes my plans. 
    NerveGear
    Atmos73 said:
    Tim74UK said:

Samsung who manufacture GearVR have now joined Google Daydream to make Androind the Mobile VR standard. If Samsung decide to stop GearVR production in 2018 then the whole Oculus GearVR platform collapses without a HMD to support it.

Yes. At that pricepoint it will.
    NerveGear
    edited October 11
    CrashFu said:
    *cough*  Well, the Samsung Gear VR is already the highest-selling VR device on the market by a very wide margin, and yet even that device's market has been limited to people who are willing and able to shell out $600 or more for a phone (and possibly another $100 if they didn't get Gear VR as a free promotion with said phone)

This is a device that costs only $200 total, a tiny fraction of what ANY other decent VR system costs, and is also a better and more refined product in every way.  Also it won't eat up your phone's batteries and (presumably) won't cook your face while you're using it.

So I'd say it's aimed at a whole heck of a lot of people. :tongue:

****, I'm probably going to get one, myself.
    If I can keep my paid Gear VR apps (Minecraft... etc) then a new daydream and phone isnt a consideration. 
    anthonsh said:
    CrashFu said:
    *cough*  Well, the Samsung Gear VR is already the highest-selling VR device on the market by a very wide margin, and yet even that device's market has been limited to people who are willing and able to shell out $600 or more for a phone (and possibly another $100 if they didn't get Gear VR as a free promotion with said phone)

This is a device that costs only $200 total, a tiny fraction of what ANY other decent VR system costs, and is also a better and more refined product in every way.  Also it won't eat up your phone's batteries and (presumably) won't cook your face while you're using it.

If I can keep my paid Gear VR apps (Minecraft... etc) then a new daydream and phone isnt a consideration. 
    Oh damn i'd forgotten about my Gear VR apps - i've had 2 Gear VRs but sold them to pay for the Rift.

Yep, we need to know this, but i'm pretty sure all your Gear VR content will transfer over.
    NerveGear
    anthonsh said:
    CrashFu said:

Oh damn i'd forgotten about my Gear VR apps - i've had 2 Gear VRs but sold them to pay for the Rift.

Yep, we need to know this, but i'm pretty sure all your Gear VR content will transfer over.
    Yeah, Im sure they will try to make this work because it also floods their content library. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,169 Valuable Player
    Didn't they confirm that it will run GearVR software..? Or was that the Santa Cruz..?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    Didn't they confirm that it will run GearVR software..? Or was that the Santa Cruz..?
    Yeah, just watching the presentation now.  "We're bringing the best of our library from Gear VR across on day one."  

Does he just mean some of it?  Is the library not fully compatible?
    NerveGear
    edited October 11
    snowdog said:
    Yeah, just watching the presentation now.  "We're bringing the best of our library from Gear VR across on day one."  

Does he just mean some of it?  Is the library not fully compatible?
    And will my purchses carry over?

Maybe no "samsung" apps. 

Maybe they need to be resubmitted or tweaked a little bit. Maybe they want to weed out the crap with a higher standard. 

I want Minecraft, Amaze, cross platform compatibility with Oculus Rooms...  Etc. (Rush, Vendetta Online, Augmented Empire, The Well...  Haha)
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 730 Poster of the Week
    CrashFu said:

I know I'll be getting one - maybe even two since my boys are Rift nuts and keep wanting to use mine.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Posts: 710 Poster of the Week
    With the higher resolution panels, this could be a great solution for a quick pull on access to multi screen desktop working.
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    So Oculus Go uses the gear vr apps, I already have a rift set and maybe want to get a ocu go for my wife, is there any cross platform games between gear vr and oculus store apps?
    NerveGear
    KenSniper said:
    So Oculus Go uses the gear vr apps, I already have a rift set and maybe want to get a ocu go for my wife, is there any cross platform games between gear vr and oculus store apps?
    AltSpace..  Maybe a couple others?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,554 Volunteer Moderator
    The apps that work could be dependent on what the actual specs are, how does it compare to a Galaxy phone?

At least now upgrading your phone won't affect things now. I have a Note 8, it doesn't fit in my GearVR so it's now a paperweight (the GearVR, not the Note 8).
    Letting others try it will be less stressful when it's a $199 device rather than a $1500au device strapped to a plastic shell.

I don't like 3DOF Mobile VR, but so far I like the look of this more than GearVR.
    Can't wait for the specs of this thing - weight is a biggie too.  So many questions.

Micro SD slot?

Power/charging?  Battery life?

I like the idea of it being so easy for the non-techy people, like they said, this is accessible VR.
  • SpyrdeSpyrde Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    I am a "hardcore" vr user so my interests mostly lie in the best possible vr solution. But since Im not going to buy a 600$ phone to use GearVr this could be a good unit to watch videos or play simple games when not at home. Depends how much different the experience is from using a 20$ shell with an cheap android phone.

Or maybe it is just a device to get more people in to vr. 
  • whosinanamewhosinaname Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I just like the fact that is is a whole unit in one.  I hate taking my note 8 out of the case and clipping it in.  I would much rather just have a headset that I just put on and play.  At the 199 price point I will get one just for the fun of it.  This also opens up my choice of phones next time I get a new phone because I won't have to go Samsung if I don't want to.
    Spyrde said:
    I am a "hardcore" vr user so my interests mostly lie in the best possible vr solution. But since Im not going to buy a 600$ phone to use GearVr this could be a good unit to watch videos or play simple games when not at home. Depends how much different the experience is from using a 20$ shell with an cheap android phone.

Or maybe it is just a device to get more people in to vr. 
    The difference between other phones and nearly all of the £20 - £60 shells and a Gear VR with a premium Samsung phone is huge - i've tried many and so have colleagues and friends.  Don't go anywhere near them.

I expect this will be on a par and hopefully better than the Gear VR.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 556
    Neo
    Tim74UK said:

But without positional tracking and hand pressence this is a huge step backwards in my opinion. 

I'm pretty sure it has positional tracking
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,554 Volunteer Moderator
    jayhawk said:
    Tim74UK said:

But without positional tracking and hand pressence this is a huge step backwards in my opinion. 

I'm pretty sure it has positional tracking
    Go just has 3DOF rotation tracking.
    Santa Cruz has 6DOF position tracking.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,688
    Wintermute
    Tim74UK said:
    A little from tab A and a little from tab B!

OVR has had to look towards themselves to continue to support the burgeoning but vulnerable mobileVR scene. With the original GearVR soon to be superseded, an alternative was needed. Also the transferring of support by Samsung to a Daydream / WinMR approach means OVR has to fill the void the best they can.

it will be interesting to see how important non-phone cheap VR will prove, especially with past attempts such as GameFace finding support muted. How much GO is there to keep previous GearVR investment relevant is a interesting observation.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • gconvergengconvergen Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    KenSniper said:
    Minecraft!
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    On the topic of santa cruz project, is it suppose to be the 2nd edition of the consumer rift? the CV2? or another bridge between the Rift and the Go? because its wireless and all it seems to be a fully mobile experience like the Oculus Go so I was wondering about the specs 
  • gconvergengconvergen Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    It will be a step up from the Go. It will be a long while before we have the capability of a 1080ti in that form factor. Have a watch of John Carmack's talk at OC4, he touches on this.