New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Dash

Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 49
Brain Burst
edited October 12 in General
Looking forward to Minority Report.... err I mean Dash :wink:

Looks awesome, I have found it difficult to swap between my desktop and games. When playing ED I need to google stuff sometimes and it's a right pain. This issue has discouraged me from using the rift at times.

Also comms have been a pain, I run Discord, Steam and Whatsapp while playing and every time I receive txt msg, off comes the Rift again.....

I want to put the HMD on and have access to it all and Dash seems to fit the bill.

Cant wait!

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Posts: 710 Poster of the Week
    I think it's going to be great, and the fact it's going to be an overlay that you can pull up from within any experience takes it beyond what Steam is offering. They've built a powerful base and I think we are going to see a lot of cool stuff coming through in 2018. What would make it even more impressive would be if you could manipulate it with your voice as well as touch.

• dburnedburne Posts: 751
    Neo
    Yep I am really looking forward to this update as well, going to totally change the Home experience and allow us access to everything pretty much from within it.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    edited October 12
    This sounds amazing, what is it exactly?

Are Oculus making this or 3rd party? Is it free or do we need to pay?

It's called Dash?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 751
    Neo

It's called Dash?

Oculus is making.
    Beta in December.
    Free update
    Yes it is called Dash.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 596 Poster of the Week
    " Waits paitently for Atmos to yell about walled gardens "

Sounds like it will be an awesome update.
    WAAAGH!
    Nexus 6
    dburne said:

It's called Dash?

Oculus is making.
    Beta in December.
    Free update
    Yes it is called Dash.
    Awesome!!! Cheers mate! :)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,238 Poster of the Week
    Mmm, just rhink how useful this will be in virtual workspaces or artistic programs lime Medium, you could easily use the overlays to access reference material and whatnot.

I wonder how the creator of 'V' feels about this, though?
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    Nexus 6
    CrashFu said:
    Mmm, just rhink how useful this will be in virtual workspaces or artistic programs lime Medium, you could easily use the overlays to access reference material and whatnot.

Whats V mate?
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    CrashFu said:

Whats V mate?
    Here you go   
     http://www.hellov.io

I was on V discord page earlier today and someone actually posted RIP and the link to the dash video
  • Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    edited October 12
    I heard V used a lot of resources and caused lag, I hope dash doesn't do the same.
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,255 Poster of the Week
    edited October 12
    Yeah. am realy looking forward to this, love the idea of in-game/in-software outside app/video overlays that you can place off to one side while still being in the app.

Loved the 'Dashception' comments the live stream got when the guy said at one point they were debugging dash on visual studio running on dash while inside dash (in VR). LOL. That's what I'm talking about, this will be great for developers as well as gamers.

Oh and while the current CV1 may be a bit resolution limited, it's great to see thoughtful and exciting infrastructure going into things early on, BEFORE we get a CV2 when these things will really fly. Pacing!

EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    System: 8700k O/C 4.9ghz ACT awaiting Volta or at least Pascal Refresh!
  • Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    edited October 12
    Yea, no alt+tab just spread out the apps around you, all that space to display stuff!
    It's like having access to many monitors without having to pay for them :smiley:

Must get a new swivel chair with a short backrest so I can spin round and move my head freely to see EVERYTHING.
  • kernowkernow Posts: 668
    Trinity
    So is Dash going to be another one of those things that they won't let work on Win 7?
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,392 Valuable Player
    This is going to be the greatest software update yet! Seriously can't wait!! Going to help a ton in Medium!
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 236
    Nexus 6