New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

I just want to show how far ahead of the curve I was regarding controller designs. . . .

inceptionalinceptional Posts: 109
Art3mis
edited October 12 in General
And I also need to get it out of my system to remove the stress of being totally poor when in reality I'm a frikin' genius and I should be a multi-billionaire by now.

So, if you look at the controller design for the recent Oculus Go:

And compare these to my own designs, which I literally came up with over 12 years ago (before Nintendo's Wiimotes were even first shown), you can see that I literally designed the controller that Oculus is now using for its Go headset:

I mean it is pretty much identical to my original design--the only real difference is I was never a good enough drawer to get the shape perfect (but trust me when I say the Oculus controller is almost exactly what I was after. The Wii Nunchuck is right on the same lines too in terms of the ergonomic gun-grip-like shape I was after)--and my design even has a few additional features that still aren't in this controller in 2017. But basically, you have an ergonomic Wii Nunchuck-like main shape, a touchpad with additional click functionality as the main input for your thumb, a trigger for your index finger, another button on the handle for your other finger(s) (a sort of "grip" button in my case), a couple of simple menu buttons next to the touch-pad (Home, etc), and it has full motion control and rumble built-in too. You can also hold one in each hand, just like the Wiimotes/Nunchucks, Vive controllers and Oculus Touch. My design also has a mic for voice input and few other bits and bobs too.

Also, here's another variation on a similar design I came up too (also before the Wiimote was shown originally, when the Wii was in fact still called Revolution):

My original designs predate the Oculus Go controller, the Oculus Touch controllers, The Vive controllers, the Steam controller (in terms of dual touch-pads with additional click functionality), and even the Wiimote. I seriously should be rich--and married to a super-hot girl by now!

I know ideas aren't end products, and it takes a lot more than just having an idea for it to truly count (trust me, I know this all too well), but I did come up with this idea (these ideas) basically long before anyone else did (years before even the date on the IGN article), and it just depresses me that I wasn't ever able to find a way to reap the rewards I 1000% believe I deserve for having this kind of foresight, creative thinking and problem solving talent. This really seems to be the story of my life. And, yes, I am feeling sorry for myself--I'm just a human being, and I can't seem to get a break!

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest in a place where maybe some of you will understand and empathize where I'm coming from.

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,200 Valuable Player
    They could be twins.

• inceptionalinceptional Posts: 109
    Art3mis
    They could be twins.

Identical twins!
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,200 Valuable Player
    You should sue their arses off!
    Art3mis
    edited October 12
    You should sue their arses off!
    Sadly, I can't because I never patented the design--which costs thousands and is only really something the already wealthy and/or connected can afford to do anyway--nor did I turn it into an actual physical product (again, it was beyond my means), and without that, I don't really have much of a leg to stand on.

I had it all there nearly 20 years ago, and I have nothing to show for it other than disappointment that a bunch of people in far more fortunate and conducive circumstances are getting rich from stuff I was coming up with before it was even a twinkle in their eyes.

This world sometimes [often] doesn't feel very just or fair at all to me--I'm probably gonna die p*ss poor and likely pretty lonely too.

:-(
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,156 Valuable Player
    I used to love the Wii! Manhunt 2 Uncut is one of my favourite games of all time, the BBFC and the ESRB completely ruined one of the best motion controlled games released that gen with unnecessary censorship. It was SO satisfying doing kills in that game with the remote and nunchuck when it was Uncut.

My claim to 'fame' was that I designed not only the same pointer controls for an FPS game that Metroid Prime 3 used before it was released but I ALSO incorporated the resizable bounding box that Medal Of Honor had that improved the MP3 controls...only to be told that the design department at Eidos wouldn't even look at my Game Design Document because I didn't have a design degree. That STILL irks me to this day. :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    I used to love the Wii! Manhunt 2 Uncut is one of my favourite games of all time, the BBFC and the ESRB completely ruined one of the best motion controlled games released that gen with unnecessary censorship. It was SO satisfying doing kills in that game with the remote and nunchuck when it was Uncut.

My claim to 'fame' was that I designed not only the same pointer controls for an FPS game that Metroid Prime 3 used before it was released but I ALSO incorporated the resizable bounding box that Medal Of Honor had that improved the MP3 controls...only to be told that the design department at Eidos wouldn't even look at my Game Design Document because I didn't have a design degree. That STILL irks me to this day. :(
    It's so frustrating. It's kinda like a parallel in this life where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Some of us have great ideas but because we're not part of the inner circle, or whatever it's called, we can't get a break.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,156 Valuable Player
    And the worst thing is, if I was still working for Eidos and I release Nakamura's Fall in the Oculus Store or on Steam it would belong to Eidos lol

There was an IP clause in my contract. You REALLY couldn't make it up :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    And the worst thing is, if I was still working for Eidos and I release Nakamura's Fall in the Oculus Store or on Steam it would belong to Eidos lol

There was an IP clause in my contract. You REALLY couldn't make it up :o :D
    Tell me about it. :-)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,640 Poster of the Week
    Make me think of a favorite sitcom:

Kramer:  That was MY idea!

Jerry: 2.9% financing on a Toyota 1 ton was your idea?