cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any major differences on having 4 over 3 sensors? (need a bit of help now)

Nij
Heroic Explorer
So I've been running a 3 sensor setup for a while now and everything has been great, never had any tracking issues at all

Today though I got a replacement rift due to issues with my last one and Oculus decided to also include a sensor with it, so I now have 4, so just wondering is it worth me actually using it? does it make a big difference? I remember going a while back lots of people saying it ended up causing more issues than when you have 3

It is going to mean me getting another extension cable, which will mean more wires across the floor, so don't know whether to bother!

EDIT
I've decided to try the 4th sensor but encountered this screen (see below) which doesn't exactly tell you why it is unsupported, my camera spacing isn't ideal but I'm running out of places to put them 😄 and they are all within the measurements, maybe not enough USB bandwidth or it's pc related, surely if my cameras weren't right it'd say right?

z8kpgp1ddsgd.png
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
14 REPLIES 14

babybasher
Protege
I got 4 sensors mounted on the ceiling. No tracking issues at all, or unusual quirks. I've never tried 3. Went straight from 2 to 4.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best thing about the Rift's tracking system, and something it doesn't get a great deal of credit for for some reason, is that you can move the sensors after you've done the sensor setup as long as you move them back in near enough the same place without messing up the tracking. So you don't need to always have wires across the floor, just when you're using your Rift if you move them back to near enough the same position.

Nij
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

The best thing about the Rift's tracking system, and something it doesn't get a great deal of credit for for some reason, is that you can move the sensors after you've done the sensor setup as long as you move them back in near enough the same place without messing up the tracking. So you don't need to always have wires across the floor, just when you're using your Rift if you move them back to near enough the same position.

Yeah I remember cyber saying a while ago, if you move your sensors or unplug them while your pc is on , you would always need to re run setup, I leave 2 sensors plugged in all the time but my 3rd, I unplug every night, but what I tend to do now is, fully shut down my pc and then unplug the 3rd sensor then the following day I'll plug it back before I switch my pc back on to avoid running setup every day which seems to be fine, as I can't have wires traling across the floor every day, so seen as though I've aquired this 4th sensor then maybe I should do the same with that, just means getting another extension cable and one of them selfie pole thingys to stick it on, just wondered if it will make a massive difference to my setup now!
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I've read a lot about this on Facebook (a hefty amount of techies in the Oculus Rift group). If there is ever a tracking issue report with 4 sensors, it is only with certain software, not with the Oculus platform itself.

Although I have also gotten the impression that 4 sensors is a bit of overkill. I imagine that it is only vital for those who are dedicated to pure Multiplayer competitive play where absolute perfect 360 tracking is a "must" for victory.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
After 3 sensors, you're probably in the realm of diminishing returns.  Moving from two to three was a help for me, but unless I huddled into the corner purposely blocking the sensors, I've never had an issue.  Getting the sensors up high and looking down is more important than the number of them.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I have never had a issue with my 4 sensor setup.
WAAAGH!

Javelin396
Adventurer
i've mostly used three sensors before the 1.11/1.12 update when the overall tracking wasnt as good is it is now, going to four really gives you that piece of mind that your going to be tracked no matter what. however, my experience with having to reset the sensors with four  of them seems to be more difficult to do when you get to the part where you have to squeeze the trigger and hold your arm out. you really have to hold your hand up just right for it to find your controller and you may have to reset the setup a couple times before you can get it. but of course once you do get it set up you dont have to worry about it again unless you sensors get moved or whatever. overall i'd say its worth it to have it setup if you have the patience to sit through the setup since its not really supported for 4 sensors

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Nice one guys, I may aswell give it a go now anyway seen as though I got a 4th sensor for nothing, I have to unplug and plug my 3rd sensor in everyday anyway so having to do this for a 4th, wont be that bad anyway but if setup wants me to start moving all my existing sensors then that will probably stop me using the 4th as I've got them just right now

Nij
Heroic Explorer
EDIT
I've decided to try the 4th sensor but
encountered this screen (see below) which doesn't exactly tell you why
it is unsupported, my camera spacing isn't ideal but I'm running out of
places to put them D
and they are all within the measurements, maybe not enough USB
bandwidth or it's pc related, surely if my cameras weren't right it'd
say right?

z8kpgp1ddsgd.png