cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Colour is your SKY? - UK/Europe

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I live in London and yesterday after playing Syndrome VR I took off the rift and looked outside the window and the sky had turned an eerie yellow sepia effect colour. I panicked (thinking my eyes had messed up) then googled to discover that parts of the UK have an influx of Sahara dust particles in the air  (caused by hurricane Ophelia) which are blocking out blue light from the sun rays leaving more reddish light and thus creating the appearance of a yellow sky. It's now doing the same again but not as intense. Anyone else seeing this Mad Max style sky it's pretty spectacular.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
8 REPLIES 8

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Yes, same here but not as red as yesterday. (South London)

zboson
Superstar
grqoswb3mmtn.jpeg
It's happening in several places in Europe. I have heard of it in France, Sweden, and the UK. The image above is from this morning in Stockholm.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Its the end of the world as we know it but I feel fine!
Or at least I would if I had company.
xjmqdfzfyqbd.jpg
WAAAGH!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I live on the 4th floor and have a nice panoramic view from the window next to my desk looking North. I can see some really interesting layers in the cloud cover at the moment.  It's like a crumpled quilt stretching across the sky. However, the colour doesn't pick up when I take a photo. Anyone want to suggest the technical reason why this is?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Try using a different filter to take the photograph.
Odds are its because the sand in the air that you are seeing is fine enough to distort the light you are seeing but not completely refract it.
WAAAGH!

danknugz
Superstar
the aliens are returning
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Roaster
Rising Star

I live on the 4th floor and have a nice panoramic view from the window next to my desk looking North. I can see some really interesting layers in the cloud cover at the moment.  It's like a crumpled quilt stretching across the sky. However, the colour doesn't pick up when I take a photo. Anyone want to suggest the technical reason why this is?

As for the color, camera automatic white balance I expect.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

kojack
MVP
MVP
Australian sky in the afternoon:
ztbjcl0at6p2.jpg

During a dust storm that hit us 8 years ago:
jmwkyp2nqiqz.jpg

(both are my back yard)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2