cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall creators update wiped out my Oculus drivers

superdave132
Explorer
I just installed the Microsoft fall creators update to windows 10 and it broke my Oculus. Now all I see when I put the headset on is black screen.

looks like they killed the driver because my device manager doesn't recognize the hardware anymore, but it still sees the sensors.
53 REPLIES 53

Roaster
Rising Star
Just a curious question ... did you unplug the Rift before updating?
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

It is unlikely that the Fall Creators update has broken your "Oculus" as you call it.  It might have biffed the software.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try tinkering with your USB placements on your board and ensure that you turn off the USB Power Management options in your device manager.  These settings got turned back on during the update if you had previously disabled them.  Also, double check your motherboard or USB expansions' firmware for updates.

superdave132
Explorer

Roaster said:

No was that necessary, and will a reinstall of the Oculus software fix it?  

superdave132
Explorer

Try tinkering with your USB placements on your board and ensure that you turn off the USB Power Management options in your device manager.  These settings got turned back on during the update if you had previously disabled them.  Also, double check your motherboard or USB expansions' firmware for updates.

I can't tinker with my usb placements as I have a Asus ROG G20CB with almost sealed case with would make It 
extremely difficult if not impossible. Thanks for the help though.

superdave132
Explorer
The Update erased/overwrote my drivers for the Oculus as shown in the attached picture. it was working 5 min before I started the update. Ill probably have to reinstall the entire Oculus software for it to reinstall the drivers.
v5kezvroe574.jpg

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Superdave132

Run C:\Program Files\Oculus\OculusSetup.exe. Select the repair option and follow the instructions. It will prob download the oculus software again but should repair your install.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Roaster
Rising Star

Roaster said:

No was that necessary, and will a reinstall of the Oculus software fix it?  

That's what I'm trying to find out.  It's a prophylactic measure. 
Yes an Oculus reinstall should fix it, but who knows what happened to your registry. I hate worrying about dangling entries causing errors, and if a program is borked, it may not uninstall properly.
You know how you can't delete a file if it's in use?  Maybe the same thing happens if the Rift is trying to be initialized while the update is moving things around. Total guesswork though.
I disconnected the hmd just in case.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

kzintzi
Trustee
Hi @superdave132

a lot of people had issues with the Creators update unfortunately (myself included).

This may not be helpful, but:

• my Device manager looks likes yours does - if you check the HardwareID of the "unknown device" and it shows ViGEmBus you can ignore that issue (not sure what it is, but a few people have reported it including me it and it doesn't break anything - I assume it's either related to something that's coming, or it's something that's miss reporting)..
  • to my knowledge the Rift headset doesn't actually show up as anything in Device manager (not sure if it did before Creator's update or not but it doesn't now).
  • I have had the headset be black for me, but I unplug both the HDMI and USB cables and then reseat them and it resolved it for me. when it's black is the light on the sensor inside the headset on? does it change colour if you place your hand close to the lenses inside?
  • one of the things you can check is open OH, go into Devices and see what's showing. if you open it up does your headset show as connected? if so, what happens when you unplug the USB but not the HDMI? what about the other way around (HDMI but not USB)?
  • a lot of driver issues are resolved by using the Repair option inside Programs and Features (in case you were going to uninstall and reinstall).
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.