cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with nVidia settings

GrahamH
Honored Guest
Hi,

I have played around with my Rift for a while now and started to play with Unity a bit tonight and I think I need to finally ask for advice on the various settings in the nVidia 3D settings and their likely effect on the OR.

I have read a lot about some settings (v-sync in particular) but not about a few of the settings or, at least, not enough for me to know what to tweak.

So I thought I would list the settings here (with their possible values) and ask if people could explain the effect they think each would have and what a recommended setting would be (with the caveat, of course, that different applications prefer slightly different settings.)

I know there is a lot but if people can give their view on it, then we can have a quick reference for people like me who don't quite know enough about 3D (having grown up with peek and poke on an Apple ][ !)

Ambient Occlusion
[off | performance | quality]
Anisotropic filtering
[Application controlled | 2x | 4x | 8x | 16x]
Antialiasing - FXAA
[off | on]
Antialiasing - Mode
[Application controlled | off| Enhance the application setting | Override the application setting]
Antialiasing - Setting
[Application controlled | 2x | 4x | 8x CSAA | 8x | 16x CSAA | 16xQ CSAA | 32x CSAA]
Antialiasing - Transparency
[off | Multisample | 2x (supersample)| 4x (supersample)| 8x (supersample)]
CUDA - GPUs
[all | GeForce GT 750M (my GPU of course) ]
Maximum pre-rendered frames
[USe the application setting | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4]
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration
[Multiple display performance mode | single display performance mode | compatibility performance mode]
Power management mode
[adaptive | prefer maximum peformance | nVidia driver controlled | prefer consistent performance]
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation
[off | on]
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias
[allow | clamp]
Texture filtering - Quality
[Quality | High quality | performance | high performance]
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation
[on | off]
Threaded optimisation
[auto | off | on]
Triple buffering
[off | on]
Vertical sync
[Application setting | off | on]

And finally, the PhysX configuration.
This is currently set to auto-select, but I can choose to set it to my CPU or to the GeForce GT 750M.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

G
==================== London ... or whereever I feel like being in my Rift.
5 REPLIES 5

cybereality
Grand Champion
Make sure triple buffering is off, and pre-rendered frames are lowest (probably 1).

Oculus says to enable v-sync, I find you get a faster response with it disabled.

AA at a moderate level will make the graphics nicer, but if you have an older machine turn off for a decent speed boost.

Other options are mostly for looks and will not have a major effect VR-wise.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

GrahamH
Honored Guest
Thanks Cyber - I'll have a check of those later tonight ...
==================== London ... or whereever I feel like being in my Rift.

Sylas
Protege
I have to disagree with Max pre-rendered frames 1. Different games are going to give you different results and in the past, it defaulted to 3 on a global scale. Some games did benefit from changing that value to 2, and what it did was decrease mouse lag, but when you set it to 1, it typically made the game worse. On a global scale, I would stick with default. If you find an application that benefits from lowering it, I would simply change the value for that app alone. Here is an excellent article on all of those settings. It's a little dated, but still relevant for our cards, and I think the author updates any major changes. http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

Hadwell
Honored Guest
pre-rendered frames smooths out gameplay at the expense of latency... that's its whole purpose... the more pre-rendered frames you have, the more likely you'll get sim sickness... 0 pre-rendered frames would be ideal for VR, but huge performance hits on lower end cards...

if you can lower every graphics setting in your game and in the NV control panel to get 75 fps (for the DK2) with pre-rendered frames set to 1, do that.

the goal for VR is to decrease latency at any expense and pre-rendered frames do the opposite of that...

BaseDeltaZero
Honored Guest
when rendering transparent objects like trees and grasses i have found that setting the antialiasing transparency to 8x really helps keep the trees from aliasing badly, in vr this is a lot more noticable than on a screen. It has a performance hit but its worth it if you can optimize your scene to keep the frame rate high.

I would love to know how you could access that parameter inside unity, anyone know?
Ambient Flight Eagle Flight Experience Dinosaur Voyage Running from Dinosaurs