New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Rift on a Motion simulator, offsetting to the chair

jhordiesjhordies Posts: 44
Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
edited April 2015 in Showcase
Hello,

I'm currently working on a motion simulator to use together with the Oculus Rift goggles.

Imagine feeling the virtual world accelerations with the Oculus rift on.
It is one step closer to virtual reality :)

This requires to make the Oculus moves relative to the moving chair instead of the ground.
I already got the Oculus goggles working without picking the chair moves.
It was tested and working but I now need to build my motion simulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-WIvSV9438

The motors are on their way so I hope to share my experience soon.

You can find more information on this project on:

http://motiondrift.blogspot.be/p/motion-drift-motion-simulator-is-system.html

Motion Drift will help the user to avoid motion sickness by giving the user the feelings that his brain waits for.

Thanks to the Oculus team for the amazing experience.

Comments

• KydDynoMyteKydDynoMyte Posts: 322
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I am looking forward to the video and the method you came up with on how to cancel out the platform movement.
  • jhordiesjhordies Posts: 44
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Thanks for your enthusiasm KydDynoMyte.
    We (my friend and I) made a custom version of the Oculus library to change the orientation before it is made available to the game.
    We use a sensor placed on the chair to compute the actual orientation of the head relative to the chair.

The results are above expectations, the orientation picked by the game is very stable when moving the chair and leaving the head in the same position, while the head moves of are still smoothly reproduced in the game.
    I hope to upload a video soon of the test of the stabiliser.

At the moment we still don't have a motion simulator but the hardware is ordered and plans are almost ready.
    So I had to test it on my desk chair on the Tuscany demo of Oculus which is a just a landscape with a house.
    It is really disturbing to feel the chair accelerations without seeing the expected reaction in the oculus rift, it feels like being really drunk !

This means the feeling of presence should be amazing once the game environment will be in sync with the chair moves.
    We can't wait to test it.
  • KydDynoMyteKydDynoMyte Posts: 322
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Nice work. I've heard of people wanting to cancel it out with software only. I thought mounting a 2nd set of sensors to the platform and taking the difference would be easier, and also cancel out any extra movement/slop/vibrations not intended. I am still surprised it works so well. I would of attached an optical tracker to the platform myself, because I never could of got this to work. Bring on the motion platforms!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Hello,

You can now find a couple of videos of our stabilizer without the Oculus rift googles but still explaining a bit how it works.

http://motiondrift.blogspot.be

A video will the Oculus rift will follow, stay tuned.
  • grodenglaivegrodenglaive Posts: 395
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    jhordies wrote:
    Hello,

You can now find a couple of videos of our stabilizer without the Oculus rift googles but still explaining a bit how it works.

A video will the Oculus rift will follow, stay tuned.
    That is a great looking racing/flying sim rig. It sounds like you know what you're doing - good luck with the project.
    GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
  • http://simprojects.nl/diy_motion_platform_v.htm Gene Buckle of www.f15sim.com just showed me this. (A cheap DIY motion sim - also check out the motor rumble device, to simulate engine rumble and noise - he just hooked it up in his flight simulator last night and let me fly it around - too kewl!)

And this:

http://bffsimulation.com/index.php
    mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4123 I am looking into that LEEP VR I lack practical 3d knowledge, I have found some good links, but I am not sure if they are the ones you were talking about. Would you mind direct linking me to them? :oops:
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Thanks for the cheering grodenglaive ! ;)

We are very excited to put everything together.
    We hope to have a fully functional motion platform with stabiliser once our DK2 will arrive, I ordered on the first or second day, lets hope we will get it in July (in Belgium).

I will of course keep you guys posted.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Hello cleverusername,

Looks cool indeed.
    I only have a Saitek pro yoke and it lacks force feedback so for my first test I used a racing game instead with a logitech G27. The force feedback improves the sens of presence (immersion) and together with the Oculus Rift it was fun to see the character hands on the wheel reaction the exact same way. I thought I had gloves on :p

Regards
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    You can now find a video of the offsetting of the Oculus to the chair.
    on
    or
    http://youtu.be/6-WIvSV9438

As you can see the user can still use the Oculus goggles but if the chair moves it is not picked by the game.
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 626
    Neo
    Great work so far.
  • tzuvelatzuvela Posts: 204
    Art3mis
    Amazing project, looking forward to your updates!
    For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.
    Richard Feynman
  • FrusheenFrusheen Posts: 91
    Really delighted to see this project. Do you plan to make it available to other motion platform users?

I am currently building a 6 dof for xplane and am really willing to pay for something like this.

Subscribed!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Hello Frusheen,

Yes will definitively make it available once it will be fully tested !

I'm not sure I will be able to keep all the forums up to date but check our blog : http://motiondrift.blogspot.be we will post any further development of our project.
  • moominmoomin Posts: 18
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    It could be very nice if Oculus will add an extension to their SDK which will expose global vector to be substracted from vision vector before rendering of the view.
    I mean to add methods to check and change of the vector which will globally affect oculus tracking readings before they will be used for rendering.
    This way any game could work with any motion simulator. Even in case it wasn't designed for particular motion simulator. Additionally, there will be no special needs to change the game to make it working with Oculus and motion simulator - even in case of third party drivers used to run older games.
    Imagine LFS with motion simulator - simulator software will just update vector according to the motion platform angles and ... tadaaaa - everything just works. You don't need to make any changes in the game itself nor custom versions of Oculus drivers.

What do you think about this guys?
    Maybe it is worth to ask Oculus to consider such an extension in future release of SDK?
    This is simple change for them and realy in my opinion it could provide next level of immersion when used wit motion simulators. For almost no cost on programming side.
  • moominmoomin Posts: 18
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I know several other projects with motion and rift and in all cases teams are working on the same matter using different approaches and in fact they are trying to invent the wheel only because the lack of such a possibility (with exposed vector to be substracted from tracker readings as described earlier). I believe this vector should be set globally and shared between applications running on the same computer in order to override games with motion simulator specific values.
    We could really get rid of those solutions with two PC's linked together or customized Oculus libraries or hacking the rift with use of opentrack, etc.
    Additionally, it will simplify developer's life if it will be just regular part of Oculus SDK - especially when taking into consideration changes related to positional tracking. We don't know how will it be used in coniuncton with DK1 yaw/pitch/roll tracking.

Please Oculus add this functionality, please. I believe it is not a big challenge for you but it could be really nice addition for all sim lovers.
  • Nice work, im looking into making a motion rig, hopefully all this will be sorted out by then :)
  • misteruumisteruu Posts: 4
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Well, i use the RiftDK with my D-BOX GP-200 motion chair without problems.
    My experience so far is, that with the Rift on, i had to REDUCE the intensity of the movements because they would feel way too intense ;).
    I will receive my RiftUP! FHD upgrade hopefully tomorrow, then i can test on thursday...

EDIT: will receive RiftUp! on Friday :(
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    We made a custom version of LibOvr 0.4.1 and 0.4.2 to add the possibility to dynamically offset the rift orientation to the player seat instead of the ground.
    Combined with a sensor and a motion simulator, it reduces simulator sickness, improves the sense of presence and feeling of motion (Vection).

It's a simple patch file to apply to the Oculus SDK, it doesn't affect the performances
    If your game/application could benefit from a motion simulator, please apply the patch to your SDK version before compiling your game/application.

Please visit http://www.vectionvr.com

vectionok.png
  • This is brilliant. :) Good job
    DK2 ordered on March 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM PDT status: RECEIVED
  • museumstevemuseumsteve Posts: 442
    Art3mis
    Very interesting :)
    I use 2dof motion and so far have no real issues but I tend to have fairly mellow profiles.
    I'd definitely be interested in trying this sometime. I guess Live for Speed would be a perfect test case :)
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Thanks for your comments guys.
    Indeed LFS, Assetto Corsa, X-Plane,... would give the best sense of presence experience.
    I hope to get in touch with many game developers soon.
  • lwolfe26lwolfe26 Posts: 12
    Anyone else incorporating motion into their projects?

I'm new to arduino but after a couple hours with it (controlling servo from Unity) I'm ready to go on alibaba and drop $10k for a simulator lol.

In Unity I just made a little script that passes the z rotation from an airplane model to a servo. Pretty awesome to be able to read/write commands to pins on the arduino from C# and not have to bother with sketches.

Ordered more servos (only have 1 atm) to mock up a prototype for all 3 axis.

On justifying more than $5k on a simulator, I figure if I can dev for it, it's worth getting the real deal, even if it doesn't make a penny. In general, chasing things that interest me have led to better opportunities in life. I make a good living developing VR experiences and motion/haptics seem like the logical next step.