cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Enmark
Expert Protege
Hi. im Swedish guy with early dreams of VR since i first tried the "Virtuality" arcade machine "Nightmare" later called "Dactyl Nightmare". My goal is to bring my childhood dream back from the dead, for the historic value and because it was a lot of peoples first VR experience!

I have gain the original Programer and graphic designers blessing to recreate the game. but have failed to reach the actual owner of the Game.

The game will be Free of charge and should NOT be redistributed without my knowledge.

Everything is built from scratch and is measured by eye sight from this lone clip!
all 3D work is made in sketchup and all sound effects are taken from the original videoclip.

201 REPLIES 201

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice one! It's about time someone did this!

cybereality
Grand Champion
This was awesome! Brings back memories.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

WhelanWeb
Honored Guest
I'm surprised it took this long to appear on the Rift.

Going to try this tomorrow 😄
Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site. http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com

Enmark
Expert Protege
thanks i really appreciate you guys like it! 😃

Many of my solutions to the engineering, like parenting the player while on the flying pods, with a parenting script and a animated "seatbelt" cube is not pro work, but works for the demo. The extreamly crappy animated Dactyl is shootable (soundFX) and quite hard to hit.

If anyone with skills like to help me out geting this into multiplayer and more like the original. send me a mail! 🙂

Long live the "Virtuality Arcade" 🙂

bretonsvensson(at)aol.com

Jaeger
Explorer
This is great! I've been wanting to do the same thing but just don't have the time. Keep it up!

guygodin
Protege
I'll definitely try this one!

Suggestion: you could add a toggle key to switch to 4 FPS and 552x372 resolution to simulate how it actually looked like in the 90s (or whatever the original specs were) 😛
Virtual Desktop Developer

Enmark
Expert Protege
Hehe. And i thought the 640*800 resolution of the DK1 was bad enough...maybe i could get it to shrink the FOV as well! Il look into that guygodin! thanx 🙂

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
Memories 🙂

AlphaOmega
Honored Guest
HAHA! aww Good job man.