cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE4 Rollercoaster [v1.0 Now with real physics!]

Teddy0k
Explorer
Playing with scale in VR, this rollercoaster shrinks you down the size of a mouse and zooms you around a living room!

Download v1.0;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4s08nfl9pct339/UE4Rollercoaster_v1_0.zip

To celebrate the release of Unreal Engine 4 I decided to make a rollercoaster! I've been interested in playing with scale in VR (like in my RTS demo), so I thought it'd be cool to see what it feels like to be shrunk down to a tiny size. Turns out it's pretty awesome!

For those of you that are riftless, here's a full playthrough video;

Thanks!

Update v1.0
-Updated to Unreal Engine v4.4.1
-Added fixed timestep simulation to physics to ensure rollercoaster behaves the same at any frame rate
-Added an option to lock the camera's pitch to the track (press c)
-Some more optimizations

Update v0.4
-Added semi-realistic rollercoaster physics, is now a proper gravity coaster
-Adjusted the track to work with real physics
-Changed keypress to Enter key or Gamepad A
-Fixed a bug with the launcher PixelsPerDisplay setting

Update v0.3
-Updated to Unreal 4.3 with Oculus SDK 0.4.1
-Added position tracking support, fixed scaling issues
-Supports Direct Mode rendering, with the output mirrored to the monitor
-Added a front end launcher with graphics settings to help get good performance (I will release this as a standalone plugin soon)
-Optimized the post process code in UE4 for VR
-Added a frame counter to the bottom of the screen if performance is bad

Update v0.2
-Improved spline physics so the rollercoaster is much smoother around corners
-Added a jump over the lamp
-Added a sideways corkscrew at the end
-Added some new sounds
-Ported code to a UnrealEngine plugin to make it easy to share the tools (more on that later)

Editor
I've ported the code for my rollercoaster to an Unreal Engine plugin, so you can make your own rollercoaster with doing any coding!

Download the plugin (supports UnrealEngine 4.6.1)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/az87qdqxc1yqx4s/RollercoasterPlugin_v4_6_1.zip

Source code is up here;
https://github.com/Teddy0/RollercoasterPlugin

Here's a tutorial video on how to set it up and make a simple rollercoaster;

432 REPLIES 432

joeyjojojr
Honored Guest
Ran very well on my system(i5-2500k, 7950).

I had the same problem as Koshinator with the geometry shader.

I am running a 7950 using driver package 13.152.

My only issues is that the physics are really off. I understand that is not the point of the demo but it really breaks all realism for me and keeps me from being immersed. At the moment only the roller coaster demo with the track editor has semi-realistic physics and even though the environment is very plain it keeps me immersed.

The idea is amazing though and I really enjoyed looking around the room from such a tiny perspective.

Thanks for the cool demo!

san
Honored Guest
Thanks looks pretty damn awesome! Could you provide some Linux binaries as well? Thanks a lot!

nanomind
Honored Guest
Great Demo

I have a "white flicker" in the right screen. With your G shaders. (i can't post a pic)
The sense of scale is very good when you are down on the floor near the table (before the green book)

Asus GTX 780 cu : NVIDIA 7.6.740.0

Did you make this in BP ?
Can you share a bit on how you build the "track following"?

Teddy0k
Explorer
"whitelotusinteractiv" wrote:
Awesome!! Is this done with the landscape spline tool? Do you mind briefly sharing how you managed coaster physics (Matinee/Blueprint)?
Yep, there's a hidden landscape terrain under the floor to allow me to use the landscape spline tool. I then coded a new PlayerController that finds the terrain in the level and access it's spline info and moves the chair along the track. The physics are a bit dodgey, I just have triggers to set the speeds at certain points and it accelerates up/down to those speeds to make it smooth.

Once I fix some bugs in this code, I'll post it up to github so folks can build their own rollercoasters!

"Tbone" wrote:
UE4 seems to have the same bug as previous Unreal builds for me - sub-par FPS and severe head tracking latency. Every other engine and demo runs smooth, but I still can't figure out what my issue is with Unreal (using an Nvidia GTX 560M).
Try adding these lines to this file, it should speed up your framerate;
UE4Rollercoaster\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini
bOverrideVSync=True
VSync=False
bOverrideScreenPercentage=True
ScreenPercentage=100.000000
bOverrideAAQuality=True
AAQuality=0

StuPer
Honored Guest
Really great demo Teddy, my only observation was that there was little variation in speed in the car, which given the length of the track felt a little unrealistic, it felt like the car was powered not simply gravity based. I think the original Rift Coaster did the same but because the track was much shorter and the the drops closer together it wasn't as noticeable.
All the same, love your work mate.
Regards
StuPer

whitelotusinter
Honored Guest
"Teddy0k" wrote:
"whitelotusinteractiv" wrote:
Awesome!! Is this done with the landscape spline tool? Do you mind briefly sharing how you managed coaster physics (Matinee/Blueprint)?
Yep, there's a hidden landscape terrain under the floor to allow me to use the landscape spline tool. I then coded a new PlayerController that finds the terrain in the level and access it's spline info and moves the chair along the track. The physics are a bit dodgey, I just have triggers to set the speeds at certain points and it accelerates up/down to those speeds to make it smooth.

Once I fix some bugs in this code, I'll post it up to github so folks can build their own rollercoasters!

Thanks Teddy0k! I love the covert landscape layer underneath the carpet. Such hack. I've also had "dodgy" experience in setting up a roller coaster in UDK with a similar system based on splines. I'm working on making a UE4 coaster, but my colleagues argue attempting to Matinee the PlayerController on top of the spline-based track, and predict better results and more convincing "gravity." Do you have any experience using Matinee as a solution, or do you have plans to further smooth out a spline-trigger-movement based system? Do you think UE4 has any unique advantages over UE3 in this topic?

Welby
Adventurer
Really cool demo and really fun!

I love the scale! I was feeling like a Lego's man :lol:

Thanks for sharing this experience!

lazniak
Honored Guest
Great job! Feels like in CS1.6 de_rats map:)

after running UE4Rollercoaster with Geometry Shaders i have one error - white/orange chair (its shadeless) on right eye only, and it blinks from time to time, rest of the room works fine, left eye view works perfect.
GTX 760, i7 2600k. Latest nvidia drivers downloaded today 335.23.
Screenshot is tottaly black i cant try to do it with some screen-recording software later if you want me to.

I would like to ask you 2 questions. Where can i get demo of this room? Its already inside UE4?
And where did you get that rollercoaster sound? Its great.

marvinthedog
Honored Guest
Great rollercoaster! I don´t usually like rollercoasters in VR because they make me nausseaus but this one didn´t. Maybe it was because I was always in control of my own rotation so the horizontal line always were where it was suppose to be. I use a Radeon HD 5870 graphics card and the chair was flickering in the geometry shaders version. I also noticed that the scale was to big in this demo. The chair you are sitting in is the size of car. I am sitting in my real chair and from the depth it looks like my feet are touching the seat of the virtual chair.

nanomind
Honored Guest
"lazniak" wrote:

I would like to ask you 2 questions. Where can i get demo of this room? Its already inside UE4?

The room is on the UE4 marketplace. You can download it from there.