Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzom (MMORPG) [dl: 2014-AUG-07: v0.9.1.dev2] [SDK 0.4.0]

kaetemi
Honored Guest
New build available.

http://dl.kaetemi.be/ryzom/bin/ryzom_client_mingw_x64-0.9.1.dev2.7z

For use with 0.4.0 in Extended mode with DK1 or DK2.

Create an account (if you don’t already have one) via: https://secure.ryzom.com/signup/?language=uk
Install the full Ryzom client from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ryzom/files/ryzom_setup_644.exe/download
Run it, and make sure you can get in-game.

Next, extract the dev client archive, and modify the client.cfg to point to the data path of your installed Ryzom client.
Run ryzom_client_r.exe.

After you get in-game, go to the Configuration window (press U on keyboard), go to the VIRTUAL REALITY tab, check Enable VR, select your Rift, and hit APPLY. The game will automatically switch over to your Rift display.

Mouse cursor tracking to scene isn’t implemented yet, and in-scene interface elements are not positioned correctly. They sort of align when your display is centred, so you can use it that way for now.

Positional tracking isn’t implemented yet either.

===================================================================================
Original post:

Yes, I'm porting an MMORPG to the Oculus Rift.

Finally got that mess of a main loop cleaned up. The distortion and head orientation is in. GUI is not handled yet at all. User and camera controls still need to be patched up as well.

Right now stuff like names above people's heads and textballoons stay horizontal to your view, as the GUI doesn't rotate. I suppose it would make more sense to keep it horizontal with the world instead. Textballoons are pretty cool, though, for chat.

Also wondering what the sanest way for selecting in a 3D scene with the mouse cursor is. I assume it's most interesting to put the cursor at the same distance as the target.

Walking around without UI in first person is just... awesome. Vegetation that's moving by the stormwind actually gets pretty scary at times when you're in an area with aggro. The somewhat wobbly ground makes movement feel very natural.
35 REPLIES 35

kaetemi
Honored Guest
"lidytheman" wrote:
I keep trying to modify the client.cfg But i don't know how to make it point to my data folder

Replace "F:\games\Ryzom\data" with something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ryzom\data" or whereever you installed the full Ryzom client.

lidytheman
Honored Guest
Ok, i got the client to work, but there is no head tracking, and the UI isn't working well. The UI isn't a problem because well you're one person lol.

The head tracking is a killer tho, and makes me think i must be doing something wrong, is there head tracking?

Otherwise bravo, the scale and depth is so well done i KINDA feel presence, with a DK1 lol. It's as good as the native unity demos and 10000x better than injection drivers. REALLY well done lol

kaetemi
Honored Guest
"lidytheman" wrote:
Ok, i got the client to work, but there is no head tracking, and the UI isn't working well. The UI isn't a problem because well you're one person lol.

The head tracking is a killer tho, and makes me think i must be doing something wrong, is there head tracking?

Otherwise bravo, the scale and depth is so well done i KINDA feel presence, with a DK1 lol. It's as good as the native unity demos and 10000x better than injection drivers. REALLY well done lol

Yes, rotational head tracking should work... If not, PM me your client.log file (it's in the folder where your .exe is), and I'll see if there's anything there that can hint what's going on.

Just to be sure, make sure your Oculus Runtime service is running, and in the Virtual Reality settings ingame, check if your actual device is present (that it's not using the DEBUG device).

lidytheman
Honored Guest
Ok i got the head tracking to work and now it's 100x better. But there is a major problem, the drift is super bad. Even after a minute or 2 my orientation is 100% wrong. Is there a reset view? Also i can't target or actually play the game.

My mistake or just a early build?

Also just curious, are you a modder or an actual dev of the game? lol

kaetemi
Honored Guest
"lidytheman" wrote:
Ok i got the head tracking to work and now it's 100x better. But there is a major problem, the drift is super bad. Even after a minute or 2 my orientation is 100% wrong. Is there a reset view? Also i can't target or actually play the game.

My mistake or just a early build?

Also just curious, are you a modder or an actual dev of the game? lol

Yeah, the drift is terrible with DK1. I'll put in a RESET button in the next build. Maybe calibrating your DK1 might help, not sure.

Targeting doesn't really work yet. Only works when looking straight forward and at center of vision, as the coordinates for the mouse cursor to scene aren't remapped yet.

I'm a developer on the Ryzom Core project, which is the open source side of the project which handles the code. The "official" client (the Windows version that is) is no longer maintained, and the official game servers just keep running without getting patched. Content is added by the Ryzom Forge team (or at least, they're trying), which is entirely independent from the Ryzom Core team.

lidytheman
Honored Guest
Yah, so i'm still playing and i can do most things and even attack stuff, the targeting is a problem but this is a early build. This might be my first full time game to play with oculus. It's almost on par with minecrift when it comes to presence

niebieski
Honored Guest
wow kudos for doins this, but can I ask why out of all the MMOs out there did you chose this one?

kaetemi
Honored Guest
"niebieski" wrote:
wow kudos for doins this, but can I ask why out of all the MMOs out there did you chose this one?

Because I have access to the source code.

niebieski
Honored Guest
Right. Makes sense 🙂

jonasion
Honored Guest
Okay, I cannot get Ryzom onto the rift itself. It keeps running on my default desktop.

I have:
- installed the full game
- installed the patched version and pointed the data to the correct folder of the original installation (dl: 2014-AUG-07: v0.9.1.dev2] [SDK 0.4.0])
- I'm running the modified ryzom exe file
- I've deselected mouse hardware acceleration
- I've set the DK2 to Extended mode (with and without support for 0.3, tried both)
- I've flipped, extended, duplicated, changed resolutions
- in the UI selection menu where I have different VR displays, I have 2 x "DK2" and 1 x "DK1", plus an "Auto" and I've tried with all of them.
- I've also tried getting Ryzom onto the other desktop by using Windows+Shift+Arrows.
- yes, the blue light is on too, and in general it works with other demos and such
- I'm running Win7x64 UK, ORDK2, firmware 2.12

Any suggestions for how I get the darned thing onto the Rift glasses?

All the best,
The VR noob