cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift on a Motion simulator, offsetting to the chair

jhordies
Honored Guest
Hello,

I'm currently working on a motion simulator to use together with the Oculus Rift goggles.

Imagine feeling the virtual world accelerations with the Oculus rift on.
It is one step closer to virtual reality 🙂

Blog3DModel.jpg

This requires to make the Oculus moves relative to the moving chair instead of the ground.
I already got the Oculus goggles working without picking the chair moves.
It was tested and working but I now need to build my motion simulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-WIvSV9438

The motors are on their way so I hope to share my experience soon.

You can find more information on this project on:

http://motiondrift.blogspot.be/p/motion-drift-motion-simulator-is-system.html

Motion Drift will help the user to avoid motion sickness by giving the user the feelings that his brain waits for.

Thanks to the Oculus team for the amazing experience.
22 REPLIES 22

museumsteve
Protege
Very interesting 🙂
I use 2dof motion and so far have no real issues but I tend to have fairly mellow profiles.
I'd definitely be interested in trying this sometime. I guess Live for Speed would be a perfect test case 🙂

jhordies
Honored Guest
Thanks for your comments guys.
Indeed LFS, Assetto Corsa, X-Plane,... would give the best sense of presence experience.
I hope to get in touch with many game developers soon.

lwolfe26
Honored Guest
Anyone else incorporating motion into their projects?

I'm new to arduino but after a couple hours with it (controlling servo from Unity) I'm ready to go on alibaba and drop $10k for a simulator lol.

In Unity I just made a little script that passes the z rotation from an airplane model to a servo. Pretty awesome to be able to read/write commands to pins on the arduino from C# and not have to bother with sketches.

Ordered more servos (only have 1 atm) to mock up a prototype for all 3 axis.

On justifying more than $5k on a simulator, I figure if I can dev for it, it's worth getting the real deal, even if it doesn't make a penny. In general, chasing things that interest me have led to better opportunities in life. I make a good living developing VR experiences and motion/haptics seem like the logical next step.