cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous

bigmike20vt
Visionary
holy hell guys.......... I sm going to sound like a screaming fanboy now but....

I got ED working. No idea why, it just worked when this morning it didnt. it must have been me rushing. but cripes.

This is THE best gaming WOW moment I have ever experienced.

You know that notion of building up a tolerence in the rift... that went right out of the window just with pushing 2 hrs solid in there.

everything is so BIG you just do not get a sense of scale on a monitor (and that is coming from someone who games on a 70 inch)

If I was going to be objective (tough i know!) the resolution is still not ideal, with not all text being usable. This should be fixed for CV1 however. Also the FOV is not an issue in this game because you would wear a helmet anyway right?

I love the rift, and this game is certainly going to be one of the all time greats in it. Any one who owns a rift has to get ED.... should everyone with ED buy a rift? I dunno, maybe not, but they should certainly have a go on a friends and then make their own mind up.

PS I have an ok spec PC, with a heavily overclocked GTX 670 but I run ED on low settings. I will wait till my next gpu before i ramp that up.

oh and if you put your stick roughly where your avatar has his, the tracking on it is perfect so much so i was grinning just waggling my stick!. It was so convincing after a while, so much so when i dropped something off my desk for a couple of seconds i was looking on my cockpit floor for it!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
772 REPLIES 772

TomSD
Honored Guest
Beta 3 release notes posted, sounds like some good Oculus Rift improvements:

- Avoid a crash that may happen when switching from side-by-side mode to Oculus Rift in the main menu

- Make camera view in system map less incorrect for Oculus Rift

- Oculus Rift/System map: Tweak the min/max dolly distances when OR is enabled, to try and get the same feel (sizes, proximity) as when OR is disabled

- Oculus Rift/System Map: While wearing the Oculus Rift, allow moving the camera even closer to planets, but hiding the UI elements while the camera is quite close to them

- Oculus Rift/Direct Access: Allow the window to be resized to the desired dimensions (the ones specified in the options menu), while making sure the swap chain is created respecting the size of the Oculus Rift display, when Direct Access is enabled

- Oculus Rift/Galaxy Map: Billboards are now closer to the camera than they were, and have also a larger scale, and the billboard reference technique breaks for them

- Oculus Rift/Loading Screen: Push the ship models forward to prevent clipping artifacts if the camera gets too close to them

- A lot of the hanger cameras which were near the floor were clipping slightly when viewed on the Occulus Rift. Have moved the affected cameras upwards slightly which should improve the issue

- Hide System Map UI when the dolly distance is small (if the user is using Oculus Rift)
i7-4770K, 2x GTX 780 SLI, Windows 7 64-bit, Oculus runtime 0.6.0.0

drdogris
Honored Guest
I have to say that I was blown away. I played the original Elite back in the day and when I experienced it today on the Oculus it brought tears to my eyes. The experience was like nothing I have experienced in 30 years of PC Gaming. I feeling nothing but gratitude for the Oculus project...thank you.

Nick

Jpeg
Honored Guest
"david6479" wrote:

Hi Jpeg, I never use Nvidia Experience for anything. Just go into your NV Control Panel and add the Elite dangerous .exe to it. Then go into NV Control Panal global settings and select DSR, tick all the boxes to activate it. Load up Elite and then increase its resolution.
I honestly think NV Experience causes more problems than good.

That should work for you but let us know if you have any problems.

Hey David,

Thanks for the info. It helped a lot! Also, the new Beta 3 seems to at least address the botched system view. I havent tried it yet, but I am optimistic.

Jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Downloading Beta 3 now.. will report..

speed is pretty bad at the moment however. May be done in next 5 month

acarrilho
Explorer
I have direct access working with Beta 3. Albeit with the monitor's resolution and frequency, which obviously has unbearable latency, but it's pretty close to working. Which is interesting since in the first ticket I submitted I was told direct access "wasn't working". Could've fooled me... :roll:

In extended it's running pretty good.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

darkcrayon
Protege
"acarrilho" wrote:
I have direct access working with Beta 3. Albeit with the monitor's resolution and frequency, which obviously has unbearable latency, but it's pretty close to working. Which is interesting since in the first ticket I submitted I was told direct access "wasn't working". Could've fooled me... :roll:

In extended it's running pretty good.

Same here. I got excited for a moment, until I realized I couldn't set my monitor to a higher refresh rate with the Rift in direct mode. My monitors are 1920 x 1080 and can go up to 144 Hz... Still with the Rift in Direct mode it forces my display choices so that 60 is the only selectable choice (radeon 7970).

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've done 0 configuration with Elite Dangerous and the rift works out of the box in direct mode for me.

Minus trying to learn the game (I'm debating trying to get the hang out it outside of the rift, finding what joystick button to press for what action is difficult, and the tutorial is somewhat interesting) this is friggen awesome.

acarrilho
Explorer
"nerocom" wrote:
I've done 0 configuration with Elite Dangerous and the rift works out of the box in direct mode for me.

Minus trying to learn the game (I'm debating trying to get the hang out it outside of the rift, finding what joystick button to press for what action is difficult, and the tutorial is somewhat interesting) this is friggen awesome.

By "works out of the box" you mean you get the right resolution and frequency on the Rift??? :shock:

tresch
Explorer
"nerocom" wrote:

Do you have a 75hz primary monitor?

I was able to get the refresh rate right on the rift in direct mode by setting my monitor to a lower resolution with refresh rate at 75hz, but there was a lot of latency in the head tracking
VRJam game: GravWing Racing! viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3480

acarrilho
Explorer
"tresch" wrote:
"nerocom" wrote:

Do you have a 75hz primary monitor?

I was able to get the refresh rate right on the rift in direct mode by setting my monitor to a lower resolution with refresh rate at 75hz, but there was a lot of latency in the head tracking

Did you turn off blur? That gives off the impression of latency.