cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous

bigmike20vt
Visionary
holy hell guys.......... I sm going to sound like a screaming fanboy now but....

I got ED working. No idea why, it just worked when this morning it didnt. it must have been me rushing. but cripes.

This is THE best gaming WOW moment I have ever experienced.

You know that notion of building up a tolerence in the rift... that went right out of the window just with pushing 2 hrs solid in there.

everything is so BIG you just do not get a sense of scale on a monitor (and that is coming from someone who games on a 70 inch)

If I was going to be objective (tough i know!) the resolution is still not ideal, with not all text being usable. This should be fixed for CV1 however. Also the FOV is not an issue in this game because you would wear a helmet anyway right?

I love the rift, and this game is certainly going to be one of the all time greats in it. Any one who owns a rift has to get ED.... should everyone with ED buy a rift? I dunno, maybe not, but they should certainly have a go on a friends and then make their own mind up.

PS I have an ok spec PC, with a heavily overclocked GTX 670 but I run ED on low settings. I will wait till my next gpu before i ramp that up.

oh and if you put your stick roughly where your avatar has his, the tracking on it is perfect so much so i was grinning just waggling my stick!. It was so convincing after a while, so much so when i dropped something off my desk for a couple of seconds i was looking on my cockpit floor for it!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
772 REPLIES 772

Anonymous
Not applicable
"tresch" wrote:
"nerocom" wrote:
I've done 0 configuration with Elite Dangerous and the rift works out of the box in direct mode for me.

Minus trying to learn the game (I'm debating trying to get the hang out it outside of the rift, finding what joystick button to press for what action is difficult, and the tutorial is somewhat interesting) this is friggen awesome.

Do you have a 75hz primary monitor?

I was able to get the refresh rate right on the rift in direct mode by setting my monitor to a lower resolution with refresh rate at 75hz, but there was a lot of latency in the head tracking

To be totally honest, I guess I had not actually checked the frequency and resolution. I will check that later when I get back home.

Edit: Apologies. My primary monitor is currently at 59hz. I have 2 monitors and I forgot my 120hz one is at work.. my bad 🙂

Earl
Honored Guest
I have my position tracking thing on the screen pointing directly at me, but for whatever reason it shows up as if i am looking 45 Degrees off, so I have to move the screen/myself, does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Edit: wait a second, how far away/close to it am i supposed to be? Right now im only like 50cm maybe.

Edit: also I have a nvidia card (760) and want to do the stuff with nvidia experience, but it cant seem to find Elite Dangerous? : (

acarrilho
Explorer
"earl" wrote:
I have my position tracking thing on the screen pointing directly at me, but for whatever reason it shows up as if i am looking 45 Degrees off, so I have to move the screen/myself, does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Edit: wait a second, how far away/close to it am i supposed to be? Right now im only like 50cm maybe.

Edit: also I have a nvidia card (760) and want to do the stuff with nvidia experience, but it cant seem to find Elite Dangerous? : (

If you don't lose tracking looking around, you're far enough. F12 is the default key in Elite to recenter the Rift.

As far as Nvidia GeForce Experience goes: http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/supported-games
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
"acarrilho" wrote:
"nerocom" wrote:
I've done 0 configuration with Elite Dangerous and the rift works out of the box in direct mode for me.

Minus trying to learn the game (I'm debating trying to get the hang out it outside of the rift, finding what joystick button to press for what action is difficult, and the tutorial is somewhat interesting) this is friggen awesome.

By "works out of the box" you mean you get the right resolution and frequency on the Rift??? :shock:

I'm getting 75hz (at least I'm pretty sure I am, I'm at 75fps). The ingame resolution is set to 1920x1080. Unless I'm missing something..

Anonymous
Not applicable
i just can't get the rift to work with ed 😞 can anyone tell me how to properly set it up. i even can't see that "oculus mode" in the 3d optoins - only "anaglyph" and something like "next to each other" :(((

(almost every other game/demo works fine - just ed doesn't want me 😞 )

NjayNL
Protege
Try pausing the service

acarrilho
Explorer
In the "3D (Experimental)" drop menu you should definitely see the Oculus options.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Frankygailla
Honored Guest
"maboo12" wrote:
i just can't get the rift to work with ed 😞 can anyone tell me how to properly set it up. i even can't see that "oculus mode" in the 3d optoins - only "anaglyph" and something like "next to each other" :(((

(almost every other game/demo works fine - just ed doesn't want me 😞 )

Hello i had the exact same problems, I was in side by side and i didn't had the oculus(headphones) or oculus (speakers) in the 3D experimental mode only the first 3 options...

I can't tell you what solve it exactly because i've tried a lot of things to make it work, but I finally did so they're is hope for you too !! 8-)

Some of the things i've tried:
I've tried to kill the process with Bilago's tools, and also by the taskmanager and finally manually ( taskkill /im wscript.exe /f and taskkill /im ovrservice_x64.exe /f )
Now I just open the Oculus Config Utility then pause the service and it works so i don't think you need to try the above!!
I did also reinstall Windows and the game
I've autorised the game and launcher in the Firewall
Re-updated the DK2 Firmware
I've change and rechange a lot of graphical options in the graphics setup of the game and I think that's probably the solution to your problems, maybe the "Oculus (headphones)" options doesn't appear when some other options is already activated...!

Good luck !! 😉

Gods3nt
Honored Guest
Not sure how many of you are familiar with me on the Elite forums but I play this often, and I have to say that even playing on the monitor is mind blowing. What I've read so far here makes me cringe about not having my Oculus yet. Oh and I've even started making videos showcasing this game, the first one is still uploading. I mean it's only a 22gb file with 50 something hours to go. :lol:

sotti
Protege
So how much game is there to Elite at this point?

Is it a big MMO sandbox?

Is there some progression to follow?

So far the rift has a lot of cool stuff, but the only real modern game (excluding old modded titles, q2vr, hl2) is Alien Isolation which gives me nausea after 30 minutes. Cockpit games, mostly racing, work really well.

$75 for beta access seems awfully steep, I'd just like to know a little more about how it plays before I take the plunge.