Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless Reach

Soverance
Honored Guest

Download the FREE BETA on the Official Website

THIS GAME HAS BEEN UPDATED TO v2.4
Check the website to download the update, or scroll further into the thread for 2.3 update notes.

[UPDATE NOTES]

These features and fixes have been implemented for 2.2:

• Updates to Oculus SDK 0.4.1

• Level 2 – The Celestial Plains is now able to be unlocked.

• Universal online leaderboards have been introduced. View the leaderboards outside the game on the official website. Leaderboards are separated by individual level. You will be prompted to enter your name if your score surpasses one of the universal high scores. Entering names must currently be done with a keyboard.

• When starting the game, a Soverance splash screen now prefaces the title screen, during which the HMD orientation is automatically reset

• Screenshots can now be captured during gameplay by pressing the Left Stick (L3). This is an experimental feature, and is resource intensive. Using it will cause a momentary pause in frame rate. Additionally, only one screenshot may be saved, and all successive screenshots will overwrite the previous one. Future updates will allow for multiple saved screenshots.

• Cameras now fade during level loads

• The game can now be paused by pressing the “Start” button at any time during gameplay. You can restart the level, or exit back to the main menu from the pause menu. Hit “Start” again to unpause the game and resume play.

• A new model for the player’s starting drone has replaced the placeholder model using in version 2.1. This new drone is currently known as the Mark I.

• All firing rates have been slightly increased, and bullet collision has been improved.

• Fixed a bug where the player could still overload after defeating the boss, causing both a complete and failure status screen to appear, as well as a constant and unstoppable controller vibration.

[KNOWN BUGS]

• All sound effects are still super rough.

• Status screen does not recenter properly when returning from viewing a Leaderboard

• Targeting reticles on Boss 01 – Aern appear in the incorrect positions. They are centered instead of around Left/Right engines

• While Boss 02 – Celestial Archon’s head can be targeted with homing missiles, no reticle appears. It’s actually there, it’s just too small for his giant head

I hope you enjoy the 2.2 version update of Endless Reach! As always, be sure to provide me with any feedback you may have here in the comments or on the game's official subreddit.
If you enjoyed the beta demo, be sure to vote on our Steam Greenlight page, or give a rating on Oculus Share. You can also follow me on Twitter @Soverance.
Shmups in VR? Yes, please! Endless Reach Beta demo now available at endlessreach.soverance.com
21 REPLIES 21

Soverance
Honored Guest
Made a playthrough video of Level 3... The Spiral Downs!

Shmups in VR? Yes, please! Endless Reach Beta demo now available at endlessreach.soverance.com

Soverance
Honored Guest

I am really excited to release version 2.3, as we're turning the difficulty up to eleven with The Watcher! You'll find him in Level 3, the Spiral Downs. This one is a smaller update, though it should help balance the gameplay a bit, and add a fair challenge for the devoted shmup fans!

Download the 2.3 Beta, free on the Official Website

You'll find the change log below!

More in-depth information on the game's intricacies can be found on the wiki page.

[Implemented for 2.3 Beta]

• Updates to Oculus SDK 0.4.2

• Level 3 - The Spiral Downs has been added.

• A new enemy type has been added.

• A new turret type has been added.

• Limit Break Chaining has been added. A countdown timer will now appear on the HUD to notify the remaining duration of a Limit Break. Collect another blue orb before the overload begins to reset the countdown timer and extend the Limit Break duration.

• HMD Orientation can now be reset manually at any time by pressing the "Back" button on the gamepad.

• Turret lasers now have a mid-beam energy pulse that dictates the hazardous point along it's path.

• The screenshot function has been removed.

• Fixed a bug where the targeting reticles on Boss01 - Aern and Boss02 - Celestial Archon would appear in the incorrect positions.

• Fixed a bug wherein the Limit Break shield would remain visible during the status screen.

[KNOWN BUGS]

• Status screen does not recenter properly when returning from viewing a Leaderboard

• Instantiating audio will sometimes cause a frame rate lag

I hope you enjoy the 2.3 version update of Endless Reach! As always, I'd love to hear from you, so be sure to provide me with any feedback you may have here in the comments or on the game's official subreddit.
If you enjoyed the beta demo, be sure to vote on our Steam Greenlight page, or give a rating on Oculus Share. You can also follow me on Twitter @Soverance.

sparkie14
Expert Protege
"sparkie14" wrote:
Running at 260 fps in extended mode on 75hertz must be running without v sync as that's why everyone is only hitting 75fps because its capped. I personally am having freezing issues when i collect power ups and this makes it unplayable for me.
Other than that this game is right up my street, graphics are great and its clear as anything with no smearing or ghosting.
Excellent work and i think the issues are my pc good specs but something went wrong the other day with no explanation and all demo's not have some issue or other.
Excellent work.

Freezing is because of accidentally pressing left controller down when moving. You dont notice when you do it but thats the cause.

Soverance
Honored Guest
"sparkie14" wrote:
Freezing is because of accidentally pressing left controller down when moving. You dont notice when you do it but thats the cause.

Yes, this is absolutely the case. It's quite annoying sometimes, I know.

I haven't yet worked on smoothing out the screenshot function, cause I don't use it very often. Seeing as how I don't really use this feature much, I've gone ahead and amended the 2.3 update to exclude this function.

Head over to the site and download the only available 2.3 Beta, and you'll find a version that takes no screenshots and cannot lag because of the thumbstick. I took the opportunity to fix a pair of minor bugs I had missed, as well.

I do believe small lag spikes can also be caused by the audio instantiations. It's difficult to reproduce unless I open up a ton of programs and bog my machine down, and even then the lag spikes are very erratic. But I'll occasionally witness a spike when too many sounds try to play simultaneously (for example, boosting at the exact moment you collect a powerup). I'm sure this is simply due to poor audio programming, so I should get around to fixing it for 2.4.

Thanks for checking it out!

Soverance
Honored Guest

I'm super excited to bring you a teaser video of something I've been working on this week, a new level I call the Nautilus! Here's a quick description of the stuff going into version 2.4:

Here's some stuff I've already added for version 2.4

• Updates to Oculus SDK 0.4.3
    The scores based on which players receive medals have been adjusted to the following:

• Bronze: 300,000 or better

• Silver: 600,000 or better

• Gold: 1,000,000 or better

• Audio programming and resources are more efficiently optimized

• Certain sound effects have been modified, and their replication counts have been capped.

• An "Exit" button has been added to the main menu, allowing users to more easily quit the application.

• The first version of the Nautilus has been implemented. The Nautilus is an interstellar drone carrier, piloted by an advanced A.I. known as "The Voice of Ethereal". It can be considered a "hub" level, as the place you'll dock the starfighter between missions and select new systems to explore. In future updates, you'll also be able to install upgrades to your starfighter from the engine bay of the Nautilus.

• The Voice of Ethereal has been added. The Voice of Ethereal pilots the Nautilus, and is your A.I. companion during your missions into the Reach. Ethereal will provide you with the information you need to know.

• The Galaxy Map has been added. The Galaxy Map is effectively a replacement for the "Level Select" menu, which has been removed. To activate the Galaxy Map, simply approach the pedestal, and hit "A" once the black hole appears. Selecting a system will close the map and notify Ethereal of your intended destination. Approach the staging rune to deploy your drone to the system and begin the level.

Soverance
Honored Guest
The 2.4 update is now available! Check out the release notes below, or on soverance.com

• Updates to Oculus SDK 0.4.3
    The scores based on which players receive medals have been adjusted to the following:

• Bronze: 300,000 or better

• Silver: 600,000 or better

• Gold: 1,000,000 or better

• Audio programming and resources are more efficiently optimized

• Certain sound effects have been modified, and their replication counts have been capped.

• An "Exit" button has been added to the main menu, allowing users to more easily quit the application.

• The first version of the Nautilus has been implemented. The Nautilus is an interstellar drone carrier, piloted by an advanced A.I. known as "The Voice of Ethereal". It can be considered a "hub" level, as the place you'll dock the starfighter between missions and select new systems to explore. In future updates, you'll also be able to install upgrades to your starfighter from the engine bay of the Nautilus.

• The Voice of Ethereal has been added. Ethereal is the A.I. companion on board the Nautilus. He is your psychic link to your starfighter drone, Aurgus, and will be your sole source of information concerning mission objectives and status. Listen to what he has to say, as the voice of Ethereal provides valuable insight into playing the game!

• The Galaxy Map has been added. The Galaxy Map is effectively a replacement for the "Level Select" menu, which has been removed. Activate the Galaxy Map by pressing "A" when in range of the pedestal. A black hole will appear to let you know you are in range. Use the Galaxy Map to select the system you wish to explore. Choosing a system will notify your intent to Ethereal, who will open a portal in the staging area. Entering the portal will link your mind to his, and together you will launch the Aurgus to the chosen planetary system.
  • You can hit "B" at any time to close the Galaxy Map

• Level 4 - Coral Dreamscape has been added.

razalom
Explorer
Looks great will be trying this one tonight

acarrilho
Explorer
I get a crash on both extended and direct modes. Where should I send the report files?
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Soverance
Honored Guest
Thanks for trying it out. Yes, I've been getting many reports of crashes during startup on the latest version, which runs on Oculus SDK 0.4.3.

every error log I've looked at produces this:
OculusPlugin.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module OculusPlugin.dll

Looking into it now. Best advice I can give right now is to ensure you're running the latest version of the Oculus Runtime, run the demo in extended mode using DirectToRift, and possibly try the -force-d3d11 argument. I realize that's not much to go on 😕

It's so strange, having it crash >.> I must have tested that build 15+ hours over the last few days and never saw it once, now it's like everyone with the issue! Still can't reproduce it on my hardware. May just end up needing to revert to 0.4.2... /sigh.

CountFloyd
Explorer
The fix for crashing (for me at least) was applying the old Unity trick:
Hold Ctrl while opening the .exe and change quality from Fastest to Good. After that, no more crashes for me.