cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me understand VR and 3D

tinkertron
Honored Guest
So I know the difference between VR and 3D, but it's the 3D part that has me confused. As a kids 3D to me was that you had to wear the blue and red glasses to watch a movie that was recorded by two camera one with a blue tint off set by the one in red tint (pretty much). I made pictures in 3D with a still camera and using special software the combine the two image as one and you just put on your glass. Here's and example of an image. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/fb/24/c6fb24d43b1083259ab644edebe0a529.jpg

Now when it comes to VR I see several places that offer 3D movies for the VR. When I check these out the movies are split into two screen, one of the left and one on the right. Doesn't most of the VR apps out there already split the screen once you play the videos?

In other words how to I take my movies and convert them in 3D? Even YouTube offer videos in 3D for people with VR headsets.
25 REPLIES 25

AceHighness
Honored Guest
Back in the day there was no possibility to send truly separate images to each eye, so we used funky tricks like red/cyan glasses.
This improved with 3d tvs with active shutter glasses, each eye would be covered (fraction of a second) while the other one saw an image 'just for that eye'. With passive glasses it works differently, something with bending light (never really understood the physics behind this one) anyway each eye gets a seperate image.
The nintendo 3ds uses parallax 3d without glasses, each eye gets its own image but you have to put your face in the exact right spot.

Now with VR, you get the same as a 3d tv, but much better 🙂 Each eye gets its own image but without any tricks. Not doing the shuttering trick for example gives us much better brightness (double in fact).
Just like you said, the recording is done with 2 cameras, each with a slightly different viewpoint. All the games on the Gear VR support this stereoscopic 3d and some of the 360 videos are 3D as well, however there is also content (mainly a load of 360 videos) that do not have any 3d effect in them.

tinkertron
Honored Guest
@AceHighness or anyone. Is there any special software I would need to rip or convert my movies into 3D for the Samsung Gear VR? If so what are the names? or does the movie apps that are already install take a regular 2D movie and make it into a 3D movie?

tinkertron
Honored Guest
Also I want to mention I took a 3D movie that I had back in the day and rip it over to a MP4 movie file and place my 3D (Blue and Red) glasses in the headstone and the movie was awesome! I would like to see if I can do the same to my other 2D movies.

g4c
Explorer
"tinkertron" wrote:
Also I want to mention I took a 3D movie that I had back in the day and rip it over to a MP4 movie file and place my 3D (Blue and Red) glasses in the headstone and the movie was awesome! I would like to see if I can do the same to my other 2D movies.

That's cool, I'd never thought of using red/blue anaglyph glasses in GearVR.
Android VR Developer. https://twitter.com/SiliconDroid

Yeticrab
Explorer
"tinkertron" wrote:
@AceHighness or anyone. Is there any special software I would need to rip or convert my movies into 3D for the Samsung Gear VR? If so what are the names? or does the movie apps that are already install take a regular 2D movie and make it into a 3D movie?

You can't turn a 2d movie into a 3d movie, unless you're willing to pay a vietnamese sweatshop a few million to do it frame by frame , and can live with the horrible results.

Real 3d requires that there be two cameras when the movie was shot.

mitchellvii
Honored Guest
I watched 3D using some special glasses on a 4k LG TV the other day at BestBuy. By far the BEST 3D I've ever seen. It literally felt as if things were suspended in space in front of me. The KEY to great 3D is lots and lots and lots of pixels. Until we get screens way better than the Note 4, we won't experience truly immersive 3D.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another absultely important thing for totaly real 3D is lots and lots of frames per second.

Its definately a H U G E improvement if 3D stuff moves at 60FPS instead of 30FPS.
Because if it moves at 30FPS, the jidder of the motion just breaks the illusion of that thing beeing real at all.
At 60FPS stuff moves so smooth that it can make you believe that is real.

And if you dont believe things jidder at 30 FPS, just watch 60FPS stuff for 1 month and then return to 30FPS. You wont believe anyone can stand the horrible jidder it does. :lol:

This tool gives a PC user a function that is avaible for very expensive TV:
http://www.svp-team.com/
True motion interpolation (no blending as several other tools do). Its the only existing one on PC.
It works real time, without the need to convert. I use it to watch 2D material at 120FPS or 3D at 60FPS on my projector.
Avatar at 60FPS and 2 meters wide picture is amazing. 😉

This site explains how to convert 30FPS into 60FPS videos using the same libery as the above tool.
http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/

Such converted material of course can be played in the oculus cinema at 60FPS.

I failed to convert 360 degree material however. Need to ask the guy who runs that site above, what must be changed to the script.

tinkertron
Honored Guest
Well for now I just want to watch 3D movies on the VR headset. I just saw one using FullDive YouTube 3D. I take it that you have to RIP the 3D DVD? Or does take special software or just a dvd ripper?

tinkertron
Honored Guest
Alright i am at a lost. As some of you know there are several channels on YouTube that has the option to watch personal 3D videos and some movie trailers. Of course I watch these useing a app, but I also went stright to the channel via PC, downloaded the videos and them moved them to my SD card on my phone and for some reason with wont play like 3D in the theater app that came on the Samsung VR headset, which tell me you need a app that is able to display the 3D video? I saw some pre install 3D movie trailers on the trailer menu like Godzilla and Transformers. Which also leads me to ask what happen to the trailer cause now I get a message stating those trailers are missing from the SD card. WTF?!?