cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me understand VR and 3D

tinkertron
Honored Guest
So I know the difference between VR and 3D, but it's the 3D part that has me confused. As a kids 3D to me was that you had to wear the blue and red glasses to watch a movie that was recorded by two camera one with a blue tint off set by the one in red tint (pretty much). I made pictures in 3D with a still camera and using special software the combine the two image as one and you just put on your glass. Here's and example of an image. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/fb/24/c6fb24d43b1083259ab644edebe0a529.jpg

Now when it comes to VR I see several places that offer 3D movies for the VR. When I check these out the movies are split into two screen, one of the left and one on the right. Doesn't most of the VR apps out there already split the screen once you play the videos?

In other words how to I take my movies and convert them in 3D? Even YouTube offer videos in 3D for people with VR headsets.
25 REPLIES 25

tinkertron
Honored Guest
Alright I found the problem and the solution but still don't understand why, but maybe one of you can explain.

I took some of the other 3D videos I could find online, mostly from YouTube 3D channels, copy and movie them to the SD card under folder Oculus > Movies > Trailers > 3D folder. It seems that this is the only location that will play your 3D videos. Now I know that saving the file in this location is NOT the main reason why it would be able to play from. I think that the video player app that was install only knows to play that type of file from that location on the SD. So it is a special app you would need to be able to play these type of video. Is there an 3D VR app that online that just a standalone player?

Ashles
Protege
The Youtube 3d videos are side-by-side - that means the video is split into two halves, the left showing what the left eye should see and the right showing what the right should see. (These need to have been filmed/created using two different viewpoints in the first place to create meaningful 3-d)
If you just watch them on Youtube all you'll see is two different (almost identical) images at the same time.

If you drop a side-by-side video into the 3-d folder in the Gear SD card, what it tells the video player to do is to 'chop' the video in half and send the left hand to the left eye and right side to right eye so then you are receiving two slightly offset images simultaneously giving you the 3-d efffect.

This wont work for a normal video as there are not 2 different images in the first place - dropping these into the 3d folder would only chop the image in half and send confusing different images to each eye making it unwatchable.

"tinkertron" wrote:
Now I know that saving the file in this location is NOT the main reason why it would be able to play from.

This IS the main reason as the software knows to 'chop' videos in this folder in half and send each half to different eyes, whereas in the other folders it just sends a duplicate of the same image to each eye (so you see a meaningful image but without 3-d)
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

tinkertron
Honored Guest
"Ashles" wrote:
The Youtube 3d videos are side-by-side - that means the video is split into two halves, the left showing what the left eye should see and the right showing what the right should see. (These need to have been filmed/created using two different viewpoints in the first place to create meaningful 3-d)
If you just watch them on Youtube all you'll see is two different (almost identical) images at the same time.

If you drop a side-by-side video into the 3-d folder in the Gear SD card, what it tells the video player to do is to 'chop' the video in half and send the left hand to the left eye and right side to right eye so then you are receiving two slightly offset images simultaneously giving you the 3-d efffect.

This wont work for a normal video as there are not 2 different images in the first place - dropping these into the 3d folder would only chop the image in half and send confusing different images to each eye making it unwatchable.

"tinkertron" wrote:
Now I know that saving the file in this location is NOT the main reason why it would be able to play from.

This IS the main reason as the software knows to 'chop' videos in this folder in half and send each half to different eyes, whereas in the other folders it just sends a duplicate of the same image to each eye (so you see a meaningful image but without 3-d)

So if I simply create a 3D folder any where on the SD card the movie app will notice that it's a 3D movie? I will try it out and see if works.

g4c
Explorer
Docs for this subject are here:
https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/art ... lus-Cinema
Android VR Developer. https://twitter.com/SiliconDroid

Ashles
Protege
"tinkertron" wrote:
"Ashles" wrote:

"tinkertron" wrote:

So if I simply create a 3D folder any where on the SD card the movie app will notice that it's a 3D movie? I will try it out and see if works.

What makes you think you could set up a 3-d folder anywhere and it would recognise it? And why would you do that?
There are already two 3-D folders set up - in the Movies folder and in the Trailers folder. These would be the sensible locations to put any side-by-side 3d video as the software has already been set up to play 3d movies from these folders.

AceHighness
Honored Guest
"Ashles" wrote:

What makes you think you could set up a 3-d folder anywhere and it would recognise it? And why would you do that?
There are already two 3-D folders set up - in the Movies folder and in the Trailers folder. These would be the sensible locations to put any side-by-side 3d video as the software has already been set up to play 3d movies from these folders.

Pretty sure he wrote that because he could not believe the answer he was given (as he denied the possibility himself earlier in the thread).

Ashles
Protege
"AceHighness" wrote:
"Ashles" wrote:

Pretty sure he wrote that because he could not believe the answer he was given (as he denied the possibility himself earlier in the thread).

I'm getting increasingly confused by the OP. I'm not sure how much more thoroughly it can be explained what 3-d is, how it works, and how to play 3-d movies on the Gear VR. (And that 2-d movies can't be magically converted to 3-d by use of some mystical app)

tinkertron
Honored Guest
"Ashles" wrote:

#1 - I didn't see a 3D folder in the My Movies section.
#2 - I would like to have a 3D folder not only in the trailer section even though I could have moved my movies over there but rather watch it from the My Movie folder.

"Ashles" wrote:
I'm getting increasingly confused by the OP. I'm not sure how much more thoroughly it can be explained what 3-d is, how it works, and how to play 3-d movies on the Gear VR. (And that 2-d movies can't be magically converted to 3-d by use of some mystical app)

#1 - Leave the forum then, you don't have to stress out over me asking question and try to learn and understand. I think I have finally got the gist of the 3D aspect of it all so stop begin a douche bag.

#2 - and for all the rest of you who would like to continue on helping me, thank you.

Are the movies that are 3D that are on blu ray are they active 3D or passive 3D? or does it matter?

cybereality
Grand Champion
"tinkertron" wrote:
Are the movies that are 3D that are on blu ray are they active 3D or passive 3D? or does it matter?

Active and passive refer to the type of 3D glasses used (display type) and have nothing to do with how the data is stored on a disc or in a computer file. On the Blu-Ray disc the data is stored in a special codec for 3D called MVC (multi-view-coding), but on a computer the most common format is SBS (side-by-side).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

VRising
Honored Guest
"Ashles" wrote:
"AceHighness" wrote:
"Ashles" wrote:

Not sure if this counts but my uncles TV can convert a 2D movie into 3D in real time and you can then watch it. (with glasses) It's not great 3D but it does work.