cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.7/0.8 GPU Setup [LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!]

cybereality
Grand Champion
Reminder: GPUs below Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series are not supported. In addition, laptops typically are not supported well or at all (especially if they include Nvidia Optimus or AMD Switchable Graphics).

See this post for some details as to why laptops aren't supported.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28836&start=20#p328120

- Multi-GPU (like SLI) is not compatible and may result in artifacts on the screen. It can be disabled.
- Nvidia Surround is also not compatible and may result in slow performance and issues. It can be disabled.
- G-Sync monitors may result in issue. You may have to disable or unplug the monitor.

If you do have a supported GPU and are still having problems, read on:

If you are getting the “HMD Powered Off, Check HDMI Connection” error, please make sure you:

1. Have the correct GPU driver installed. Be sure to use the ones linked below.
---> Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/oculus-07- ... er-support
---> AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx
2. Have your HMD plugged in.
3. Reboot while the HMD is plugged in.
4. If you still have the same error, please send Server & Diagnostic Logs.
Instructions for obtaining the logs are here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23521

If you’re on Windows 7 or 8, and thinking of upgrading to Windows 10:

1. Uninstall Oculus runtime software
2. Upgrade to Windows 10
3. Install the correct GPU driver from below:
---> Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/oculus-07- ... er-support
---> AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx
4. Install the 0.7 Oculus runtime
5. Reboot with the HMD plugged in

NOTE: Please do NOT set a Debug HMD Type in the Config Util. This disables your actual hardware and uses an emulated setup designed for development testing. Your headset will not function in this configuration.

NOTE: If you upgraded to Windows 10 with the Oculus runtime previously installed in Windows 7/8, you may need to manually go and uninstall the “Oculus Display Driver”, which is not compatible with Windows 10. Go to Start -> Search for Add/Remove Programs -> Select “Oculus Display Driver” from the list -> Select Uninstall. When this uninstall has completed, please make sure your HMD is plugged in (both USB and HDMI cables) and then reboot.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
377 REPLIES 377

cybereality
Grand Champion
@redman18752: Can you provide these logs? viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23521
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cybereality
Grand Champion
@redman18752: Also, are you using a DVI cable for your monitor? Can you use DisplayPort instead?

kob123
Honored Guest
Can't get my new DK2 working quite yet unfortunately.

I've got the runtime config to say "Oculus Rift DK2: Ready" but when I click "Show Demo Scene" it just opens a window that stays blank and never runs anything, tried reinstall and many restarts.

I have pc, nvidia geforce gtx 670m.

Also, I've read so far that a firmware upgrade is pretty necessary at first and may solve problems, but unfortunately in my oculusconfigutility under Tools -> Advanced there is no firmware upgrade option, only "Diagnostic Log, Disable System Tray Notifications, and Show Performance HUD" so I'm not sure how to do that either.

Help very much appreciated. Thanks!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Is it a laptop? Because laptops don't work very well.

kob123
Honored Guest
Yeah it is but it's a gaming laptop, asus g75vw...

fustian
Honored Guest
"kob123" wrote:
Can't get my new DK2 working quite yet unfortunately.

I've got the runtime config to say "Oculus Rift DK2: Ready" but when I click "Show Demo Scene" it just opens a window that stays blank and never runs anything, tried reinstall and many restarts.

I have pc, nvidia geforce gtx 670m.

Also, I've read so far that a firmware upgrade is pretty necessary at first and may solve problems, but unfortunately in my oculusconfigutility under Tools -> Advanced there is no firmware upgrade option, only "Diagnostic Log, Disable System Tray Notifications, and Show Performance HUD" so I'm not sure how to do that either.

Help very much appreciated. Thanks!

Having the exact same problem with AMD Radeon 290. (Not a laptop obv).

YoLolo69
Trustee
Guys, if you want some help, it's obvious you need to provide the minimum numbers and flavors:

Which exact Operating System you're using (Windows 7 64Bits, Windows 10, etc.)

Which exact version of video drivers (355.84, 355.60, etc.)?

Which exact version of the Oculus runtime (0.6.0.1, 0.7.0.0, etc.)?

And don't answer "the latest" / "the most recent" / etc. because that don't work. E.g. for NVidia you need to grab beta drivers which are not the latest official and certified drivers.

This is far more important than Mother Board model and graphics cards (unless you're under the minimum specifications).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

fustian
Honored Guest
"YoLolo69" wrote:
Guys, if you want some help, it's obvious you need to provide the minimum numbers and flavors:

Windows 10 64bit.
Oculus Runtime 0.7.0.0
AMD Catalyst Driver 15.201.1151-150821a-1884551E

WillianB
Honored Guest
I installed the runtime 0.7 and now whenever I try to run something on the oculus, like Virtual Desktop or the scene demo, it restarts my PC.
I'm using windows 7 64bits and the AMD 15.20.1062.1005 driver.

christiannavelo
Honored Guest
Hi,

Same problem as kob123 : I have :
- a clean Windows 10 64 bit installation,
- Nvidia 355.84 drivers,
- Oculus 0.7.0,
- my primary display is on Display Port of my MSI GTX 770 OC
- primary resolution is 1920x1200x60 hz (monitor can't go 75hz)
- Oculus DK2 is on the HDMI

Light stays orange whatever I do, and no video at all on the Oculus with the Demo Scene.
In Oculus Configuration Utility : Oculus DK2 : Ready.

Also, demo scene window is either totally blank, or we can see the scene, but with a refresh rate of about 0.1 fps, making it useless.