cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me understand VR and 3D

tinkertron
Honored Guest
So I know the difference between VR and 3D, but it's the 3D part that has me confused. As a kids 3D to me was that you had to wear the blue and red glasses to watch a movie that was recorded by two camera one with a blue tint off set by the one in red tint (pretty much). I made pictures in 3D with a still camera and using special software the combine the two image as one and you just put on your glass. Here's and example of an image. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/fb/24/c6fb24d43b1083259ab644edebe0a529.jpg

Now when it comes to VR I see several places that offer 3D movies for the VR. When I check these out the movies are split into two screen, one of the left and one on the right. Doesn't most of the VR apps out there already split the screen once you play the videos?

In other words how to I take my movies and convert them in 3D? Even YouTube offer videos in 3D for people with VR headsets.
25 REPLIES 25

AceHighness
Honored Guest
"VRising" wrote:

Not sure if this counts but my uncles TV can convert a 2D movie into 3D in real time and you can then watch it. (with glasses) It's not great 3D but it does work.

that 3d is what is called 'totally fake and ***' (no offense lol)

Post edited by cybereality. Offensive language.

tinkertron
Honored Guest
Well from what I been reading about how the image "movie" is display one side of the movie will display this "even" lines and the other side will display the "odd" lines. How hard is it to have the software end part of it split these like it's been describe to me and everyone else? Yeah you might need a fast system to do it, but rending frame by frame should really take my of a standard pc to do this. Yeah it might take 4 to 8 hours to do, but it can be done in a days time to convert a 2D movie into 3D. But enough of that, I don't want to p*ss of the 3D GODS or forum trolls out there.

I have been able to get my hands on some 3D movies and so far they look awesome.

I would like to rip my own 3D movies soon. So it's my understand that 3D movies are no longer widely available on DVD. The only place I am able to find 3D version of movies in on Blu-Ray?

Ashles
Protege
"tinkertron" wrote:
#1 - Leave the forum then, you don't have to stress out over me asking question and try to learn and understand. I think I have finally got the gist of the 3D aspect of it all so stop begin a douche bag.

It's not my issue if you can't comprehend simply explained concepts. You also might want to hold off on the name calling - it's not very grown-up and might get you reported.

Well from what I been reading about how the image "movie" is display one side of the movie will display this "even" lines and the other side will display the "odd" lines. How hard is it to have the software end part of it split these like it's been describe to me and everyone else? Yeah you might need a fast system to do it, but rending frame by frame should really take my of a standard pc to do this. Yeah it might take 4 to 8 hours to do, but it can be done in a days time to convert a 2D movie into 3D.

Yeah, you clearly still aren't getting it, to the point I am genuinely wondering if this is deliberate now.
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

tinkertron
Honored Guest
"Ashles" wrote:
Yeah, you clearly still aren't getting it, to the point I am genuinely wondering if this is deliberate now.

Funny how you left this part out
"tinkertron" wrote:
But enough of that, I don't want to p*ss of the 3D GODS or forum trolls out there.

***Poof*** be gone troll.

Ashles
Protege
"tinkertron" wrote:
"Ashles" wrote:

Funny how you left this part out
"tinkertron" wrote:
But enough of that, I don't want to p*ss of the 3D GODS or forum trolls out there.

***Poof*** be gone troll.

How exactly am I a troll for responding (more than once) to a question you asked?
As well as 3-d I think the term 'troll' is also something you don't understand.
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

noan
Honored Guest
My "my video" folder did not have a 3D folder until I added either. The instructions given by Oculus actually tell you to add one. Also, DVD Fab is a good program from ripping 3d blurays giving options to rip straight up or convert to side by side and Handbrake (it's free) will convert them to mp4 or whatever you want. For anything off the web...

For 3D video content, Oculus Cinema supports the side-by-side and top-to-bottom formats. To designate that a file is 3D, create a text file with the same file name as your video and place it in the same directory. For instance, for mymovie.mp4, create a text file mymovie.txt, with the following content:

{
"format": "3D"
}

Where the format can be any one of:
“3D” : 3D movie side-by-side
“3DLR” : 3D movie side-by-side (same as “3D”)
“3DLRF” : 3D movie side-by-side full screen
“3DTB” : 3D movie top-to-bottom
“3DTBF” : 3D movie top-to-bottom full screen