cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Guide For The New Forum

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hey everyone!

I realize change can be difficult, so I want to share a quick guide on how to use the new forum.

First off, if you want to switch between the different forum areas, click the drop-down menu on the upper right-hand side of the forum. It will say "Community" with a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and choose "Developer", for example, to go to the developer section. This same menu is also used for the different international language forums.

To create a new discussion topic, click the "New Discussion" menu button on the top right. Be sure to pick a category it should go in, for example "General" or "Off-Topic". Enter the topic title and the post content. And click "Post Discussion".

To comment on a post, just use the comment box area at the bottom of the thread. You can also interact with posts in varying ways with reactions. You can, for example, "Like" a post to show your appreciation. There was a "Dislike" button, but people were abusing it so it was removed. If you see a post that is spam or abusive, please private message one of the moderators with a link to the comment.

Your post may be flagged as spam by the automatic spam filter, and require moderator approval. If this happens, please don't just double-post the same message over and over (these will be detected as spam as well). Just wait a few hours for a mod to approve the post, or send me a PM and I can do it for you. I can also verify your account, so you are exempt from the spam filter in the future.

Editing your own posts is possible. Just click the gear icon on the black bar above the post and choose "edit". Please keep in mind that deleting your own posts is not currently supported. If you wish to delete a post, you can edit it and put in "[deleted]" or something like that, or send me a PM and I can delete it for you.

New topics you have not visited will be in bold title text in the discussion list. If you click them, they will become unbold and have a slightly darker background. If new posts are made, they will become lighter with bold text again. There is also a small yellow bubble with a number to show you how many new posts were made since you last visited the thread. After clicking you will be taken to the newest post available.

You can "bookmark" any discussion thread by clicking the orange star icon on the right-hand side. This will give you forum notifications when people respond to that topic. It will also give you access to your bookmarks on the top right header if you have a few particular discussions you wish to follow.

To post YouTube videos, you don't have to do anything special. Just post the YouTube video URL in your post on it's own line and it will automatically become an embedded video. Since the forum uses the HTML5 YouTube player, videos will even work on your mobile device.

Have a link to a particular Twitter post? Just post the URL on it's own line and it will embed the tweet. People can see the images or interact with the tweet directly inside the forum.

If you wish to post an image, you can click the paper document icon above the post area and either paste the image URL or upload a file from your computer. It will be inserted into the post and resized to correctly fill the space. You can also drag and drop images directly from a file explorer window into the forum post box. It also seems to work if you are on a website (like Google image search) and right-click, do copy image, then paste it into the post area.

We now have a Badge system. These are sort of like achievements you gain by interacting on the forum. For example, making a certain amount of posts, getting a certain amount of Likes, adding an avatar image, etc. You may also notice the star icons next to your name. There are currently 5 Levels that you can unlock based on how much you interact on the forum. Everyone starts at Level 1 and you can move up the ranks just by interacting with people in the community. Check the Activity tab on the top of the forum to see how you stack up in the leaderboard.

You can also add tags to posts near the bottom of the post area. Use popular tags or create your own.

RSS feeds are available on a per category basis. Click "Categories" on the top menu, then click the orange wave icon on the right next to the category you wish to follow. Separate from RSS, you can also mark an entire category as "read" by clicking the gear icon on the right and choosing "Mark Read". The "Hide" functionality does not appear to be working currently, but I can look into it.

Please feel free to ask any questions here in this thread if you are confused or need help with this new forum. Thanks again for your continued support of Oculus and the VR community and hope you have a good time.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
160 REPLIES 160

cybereality
Grand Champion

Thoemse said:

You can't distinguish a dev from regular posters. If the Icon is supposed to give it away that is too far fetched. On the PC it looks like one of those dreadful mobile versions of a regular forum. 
It's also a lot more unclear than the old one. I understand the new buttons and the design - all part of the oculus corporate identity. I still don't like it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "distinguish a dev". This was never a feature on the old forum. Do you mean development posts? Because the "Developer" section of the forum is sort of sectioned off and if you just come to the site directly from forums.oculus.com you will only see the "Community" section of the forum (for consumers).

I honestly think the new design is pretty good and a huge improvement over the old forum. It's different, for sure, and may take some time to get used to, but I think it's better overall. Once you know how it works, and what all the buttons do, etc. it should be no problem. And it's a living site. There are still small (and not so small) bugs and issues we'll resolve over time. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

joan
Protege

Percy1983 said:

I did like before being to see all the threads I was involved in and if more posts have been made, is this possible now?

New topics you have not visited will be in bold title text in the discussion list. If you click them, they will become unbold and have a slightly darker background. If new posts are made, they will become lighter with bold text again. There is also a small yellow bubble with a number to show you how many new posts were made since you last visited the thread. After clicking you will be taken to the newest post available.

I think Percy1983 was referring to the small star that appeared inside the topic icon, that let you know that you did participate in a specific discussion, regardless of there being new posts or not.

EliteSPA
Superstar
The contrast is too high, dont like the black bars it looks little bit kiddy for me, and no signature anymore? thats a shame. The rest looks cool, is like FB, why doenst surprise me that?  😛

Anyway I see that you updated your pic CR :smile: 
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
When editing text, if I press CTRL+left or right arrow, I just want to move the cursor to the previous or next word, but in this text editor the cursor moves to the start or end of the line, which makes it quite hard to edit my text.

Otherwise the new forums are not too bad but the text and black bars are just too big, maybe should be scaled down a little so the bars aren't bigger than the avatars.
Live for Speed - www.lfs.net

joan
Protege

Scawen said:

When editing text, if I press CTRL+left or right arrow, I just want to move the cursor to the previous or next word, but in this text editor the cursor moves to the start or end of the line, which makes it quite hard to edit my text.

Ditto. This is frustrating as it's ingrained in finger memory. Selecting by word with CTRL+Shift+arrow also doesn't work and select all the way to the start/end of the line.

EliteSPA
Superstar
CR, unanswered stays @ 178, I click there but is empty.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

joan
Protege
It seems the entire "Answers" part of the site was merged into the development forum, however most of those questions seem general and could probably be redirected to "Support"?

maxpare79
Trustee
Hey Cyber quoting doesn't work on my Android Phone (using Chrome)...when I try to quote someone it just writes "Null" in my comment...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Marulu
Adventurer
First of I have to say I like the new style, but I miss signatures.

I just noticed that there is a star next to my name and when I hover over it, it says "level 1".

What is the meaning of this?
How does one earn levels?
Is this similar to the badges/level system in Steam?

Constellation
Expert Protege

2- I think in general the font size for the mobile site is adequate.. but could you reconsider the size for normal posts on the full site? Or at least being able to configure it if you are not on mobile?
Second! The font is way too big. I'm using Firefox on Windows 10.