cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide: Installation of Oculus Software to Non-System Drives

cybereality
Grand Champion

NOTE: This guide is NOT NEEDED anymore as the setup installer supports multiple drives natively.

WARNING: Some users are experiencing issues with the steps below. You may wish to hold off performing these steps for the time being while we investigate. Thanks.

The team's releasing an update that enables installation of Oculus software and apps to drives other than your system drive (typically, C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus) in one of the first Rift updates (likely the next 2-3 weeks). In the meantime, there is an unofficial workaround you can use to move your existing Oculus software and all installed games to a different drive.

Note that this is unsupported (!) and doesn't have a migration path back to a good state once we release the update in the next few weeks. Also, note that the full OculusSetup.exe functionality (uninstall, repair) won't work if you're using this workaround.

Your destination drive will need the following to be true:

• NTFS file system
  • Not a network drive
  • Not a removable drive (like a portable external HD)
  • Its drive letter (such as E:\) won't change for any other reason
  • 1.2GB free space (in addition to the size of your installed games)

Process:

1. Install Oculus using OculusSetup.exe ( www.oculus.com/setup - available Monday morning PST)
  2. Launch a command prompt with admin privileges:
    1. Win 7: Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> right-click Command Prompt, choose Run as administrator
    2. Win 8 or Win 10: Right-click Start or hit Win+X, choose Command Prompt (Admin)
  3. Shutdown the Oculus VR Runtime Service:
    1. Run in the command prompt: net stop OVRService
  4. Move your Oculus folder to another drive while maintaining permissions (as an example, E:\Oculus). You must move the folder using xcopy, or you will break Oculus and risk opening security holes in your system.
    1. Run in the command prompt: xcopy “C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus” E:\Oculus\ /O /X /E /H /K
  5. Delete the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus” directory
  6. Symlink your new directory with the old directory location:
    1. Run in the command prompt: mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus" E:\Oculus
  7. Restart the Oculus VR Runtime Service:
    1. Run in the command prompt: net start OVRService
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
113 REPLIES 113

SOTBMP
Protege
@maxx11111 - just delete links and copy back the folders.

maxx11111
Adventurer
this is what im trying   xcopy "D:\Oculus" C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\ /O /X /E /H /K
and getting invalid number of parameters

sorted was just being stupid

TommyEn
Explorer
@maxx11111 If I were you I'd just unistall the software and install it fresh. Then symlink just the Software and Downloads folder.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You need quotes around any paths with spaces in them. For example:

xcopy "D:\Oculus" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\" /O /X /E /H /K

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

maxx11111
Adventurer
thanks I've sorted it now 🙂

betavr
Protege
Unfortunately this doesn't work for me, after starting OculusClient.exe a window pops up for a moment, then it exits immediately.

Edit: after reading the instructions again, I see that the destination drive needs to be ntfs formatted, but mine is fat32. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, FAT32 won't work.

Lurch666
Honored Guest
I would also like to know if I can use the files of my already installed elite dangerous instead of downloading it again-would take ages with my download speeds.

Shannonb1
Explorer
Windows 10, NTFS, Not working for me. Tried a reboot, store flashes and then closes.

wiser
Honored Guest
i have the same problem than betavr, but my disk is ntfs