cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unofficial workaround for “access control list not in canonical form” error during Oculus Setup

cybereality
Grand Champion

There’s a known issue where the Oculus installer (OculusSetup.exe) may not successfully complete due to a Windows registry issue, and instead asks you to reboot your computer. You can identify whether this is the issue you’re having by opening %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\OculusSetup.log and looking for the error message “This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.”

We have a potential fix for this issue in the upcoming release, but in the meantime, the following unofficial workaround may work for you. Warning: this workaround requires that you edit your Windows registry!

1) Run regedit.exe

2) In the left tree view, right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, select "Permissions..."

3) If a dialog comes up stating that the permissions are incorrectly ordered, click "Reorder"

4) Click "OK" in the permissions dialog to close it

5) Repeat step 2-4 on any of the following tree nodes that exist:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus/Config

After you make these changes, re-run OculusSetup.exe, and it should complete.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
34 REPLIES 34

ColinB
Adventurer
Moderator.
Am I in the correct forum here?
Not sure where I should post this.
I did order the CV1 thinking it was a commercial product.
Reading through the threads make me wonder.
Are these problems associated with the CV1 or the DK2?
I have had very little probs. with my DK2 apart from fixes etc. It's fantastic !!
Can someone please let me know if the current CV1 is only for developers at this stage?
If so I may cancel my order and wait until a more user friendly unit is released.
Thankyou.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The consumer Oculus Rift is absolutely a consumer product. However it is for Windows PCs which have literally thousands of different hardware and software configurations, so there are edge-cases that can happen. We will work to smooth these out over time, but I'm pretty sure issues like this are in the minority.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Aivo33
Honored Guest
I put win 10 and all works fine !!!!

onanimation
Honored Guest
Hi!
Is possible know the folder of download installation to no wait 1 hour of downloading every time that I try to solve this problem? This is a madness!

blue-steel
Expert Protege

Hi!
Is possible know the folder of download installation to no wait 1 hour of downloading every time that I try to solve this problem? This is a madness!

if your using windows 8 or 10 it will put it into downloads under this pc

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aivo33 said:

Not work for me !!!!!!
How i can save this keys in reg edit always if i make new keys i close regedit and open again then they are but  after oculus sofware install theys new keys is gone ?????

i need save this keys or folders

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus/Config

other keys i have

I need help

i dont understand i log off my user account logging in my administraator account i make this 2 keys
Oculus and Config
and if i try install oculus software in end its say again restart computer and try again
and then if i go regedit this 2 keys Oculus and Config is gone    WTF ????????

and thats dialog dont gome to me
If a dialog comes up stating that the permissions are incorrectly ordered, click "Reorder"

i have small ssd 256GB
And every time if i try install oculus drivers he download sofware and eat my ssd drive C:
now i cant even try enymore to install sofware because i have only 2gb left my ssd
i tryed 25x times or more install sofware and now my ssd is compleatly full

Where is this oculus sofware downloading  files and why he keeps it and not overwrighting files or not delete this downloaded files if setup failed i feel he make new files just
Where i can delete this downloaded files what oculus setup makes ??????????
i am lost about 15GB free space on my ssd C:

Somthing doing setup if it failed he delete some failes
i take litle time and trying to understand ecactly what is going on how much he eat and where this files are

I am not rooki in pc but i cant handled this problem
Anyone can help me ???

Exactly the same with me.. excluding the SDD part.
No keys for Oculus and Config under Oculus VR, LLC,
No Re-order pop-up in any
Also tried the full permissions, no cigar 😞

Its kinda frustrating. I still have the DK2 only but will appreciate that this update would make it better. And Its kind of absurd that the main setup is just broken as it is.

Please Oculus fine team... dont let the party fail just as it was starting. Wish you the best of luck.

JuliuX
Explorer
Same problem here. No re-order pop-Up in  registry. Any idea?. 

Windows 7 , 256 SSD. Dk2 unplugged. 

DamntheWizard
Honored Guest
Exactly the same with me.. excluding the SDD part.
No keys for Oculus and Config under Oculus VR, LLC, 
No Re-order pop-up in any
Also tried the full permissions, no cigar 

I will hang out here and wait for news. 

Windows 7 64bit and DK2

Thanks you Oculus for your hard work!

Mrluthor
Honored Guest
Running windows 10 same problem here. Have tried now 22 times no message pops up. I am very confused and slightly frustrated Have called Asus and contacted Oculus support...

cerulianbaloo
Honored Guest
On W7 with DK2 here, having these permission errors too. I was able to install it the first go around no problem and even got to play some of Lucky's Tale, but as soon as I exited I've been unable to launch anything since, if I actually do get something on the dk2 it's the white grid backdrop with the health disclaimer but I can't get past this. General Home functionality is fubar too, can't dl new games or apps at this point, it just shows the spinning circle with no progress occurring. Also can't exit the app, have to force quit. Sometimes when I launch Home it just shows the Oculus logo pulsing and never launches, stuck in a loop. Oh yeah and haven't been able to launch a game since the first Lucky's Tale go around. Uninstalled Home about three times now and still dealing with the install and permissions issue. Very frustrating.