cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undercurrent - Deep Sea Exploration Indie Game

Chard6
Honored Guest

Hi everyone,

This Underwater Exploration demo for the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset will give you a taste for the kind of experience we're crafting within the Unreal Development Kit with Native Headtracking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE Working Download Links: GOOGLE DRIVE 0.4 OR DROPBOX 0.3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your goal is to explore the level by moving between canisters of air to refuel your submersible. Your oxygen bar is projected onto the glass floor of the cockpit, it will drain slowly unless you are next to a canister. To complete each level, follow the lights through the environment to reach the exit located in the hull of the ship. There are two levels for this demo experience, complete the first to load the second.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

- Plug in your Oculus Rift

- Set desktop resolution to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and Duplicate Screens

- Download ‘UnderCurrent α0.3 - Demo Download'

- Install ‘UnderCurrent α0.3 - Demo Download’

- Launch Game upon completion from shortcut or ‘/Binaries/Win32’ & launch ‘UDK.exe’

- Hit F11 a couple times until the game is full screen with stereo vision and black circles around the edges which denote the image warp

- Use a USB Windows Xbox Controller or WASD + Arrowkeys or Mouse to move.

Please Enjoy! Any feedback, bugs or questions please send to: undercurrentgame@gmail.com

Thanks for looking!
Richard.
Hammerhead & Hyperast Please spare us a like on social platforms: Facebook, Twitter
41 REPLIES 41

OculusOptician
Explorer
This is a brilliant idea, I really liked that atmospheric underwater feel that was present in Bioshock and this is a perfect avenue for Rift integration. The cockpit will really convince the user they are in an underwater environment and this in turn will reduce VR sickness as well. Biggest thing I would recommend is that you focus heavily on quality interior cockpit sounds to really build upon the immersion factor. Send me a PM of the demo link when it's available and make sure to kickstart this project once your ready to get funding. I would back this project for sure.

Chard6
Honored Guest

Hammerhead & Hyperast Please spare us a like on social platforms: Facebook, Twitter

Chard6
Honored Guest
"OculusOptician" wrote:
Send me a PM of the demo link when it's available and make sure to kickstart this project once your ready to get funding. I would back this project for sure.

Thanks OculusOptician, I'll be sure to send you a playable demo when it's ready. Can't speak for Kickstarter yet, I'd like to show the game off at some gaming conferences in the UK and get feedback from the gaming public first. And of course confer with the rest of the team before we'll be ready for a crowd funding campaign. I'll have some more concrete answers after the summer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly the sort of project I think the Oculus needs, great work guys! Blowing stuff up is all well and good, but I think many VR gamers are going to want to spend a lot of their time immersed in something less stressful.

Huckleberry
Honored Guest
This looks excellent guys! Beautiful, atmospheric, fluid (motion wise, not water-wise). Exactly the kind of thing to innervate exploration and wonder into a digital, interactive experience (two things I think gaming has been missing). I can't wait to get me Rift in the next few weeks and try it out!

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah i would also love to see it on the rift! demo would be much appreciated!

Dycus
Honored Guest
This looks excellent! An underwater exploration game is what I've always really wanted in the Rift. I'll be eagerly watching this.

edzieba
Honored Guest
I was playing the Hydra Tuscany demo, and was just thinking a legless Atmospheric Diving Suit (e.g. the WASP or SPIDER) simulator would be perfect for working within the current limitations the Rift & Hydra combo. Guess you beat me to the punch.

One suggestion I would make is to reduce the movement speed, as well as the acceleration (underwater you are slow to get going and quick to slow down). Moving underwater is rarely a fast process, caution being important to remain safe and free of obstacles, but fast movements in the Rift also quickly induce nausea.

Chard6
Honored Guest
Thanks for the feedback guys, That WASP suit looks awesome. I'd love to know how it works.
Movement speed is going to be something we will tweak once we get it working in the rift and have some time to polish our demo.