cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kairo - Full game on Steam with Rift support

perrin
Honored Guest
Hi folks,

I've just added what I'd probably call experimental level support of the Occulus Rift to my game Kairo. I've just released a patch so anyone with the Steam version of the game will be able to activate Rift support from the settings menus.

I've not yet recompiled the demo versions of the game with this support in, but I'll get that done in the next couple of days. So everyone will be able to try it out without having to buy the game.

I put a fair amount of time into getting this working, an especially large amount of time rebuilding how my GUI was done, but I don't really consider it complete yet. However a lot of people had been wanting to try it out so I figured I'd release it as it stands now and take feedback to make improvements.

[edit: Rift support is currently only available for the PC and Mac versions of the game]

Steam Link: Kairo

Screenshots:

83 REPLIES 83

jf032
Honored Guest
Decided to buy the game due to Rift support. Very neat experience so far, and there is a certain amount of satisfaction in figuring out the puzzles.

However, please allow for an option to set "body" orientation to head yaw (where the player is looking is always forwards), or, instead, add a key command to set current view to forwards. The Rift always drifts considerably within the span of a few minutes, and this is hurting the experience. I started out going to the menu to disable and re-enable the Rift, but that got me out of the game to a very strong degree, so I ended up just dealing with forwards being whatever arbitrary angle it drifted towards. That can end up being uncomfortable, and it is pretty confusing figuring out which way is forwards, sometimes.

Note: I realize that forwards is reset when transitioning to a new level. Drift accumulates so quickly with the Rift, though.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll be in on this when my Rift arrives (soon!) - screenshots look really cool and looks like just the kind of slower paced exploratory game that I want to play in the Rift.

FictionX
Honored Guest
I bought the game when it came out for Linux, and I like it a lot - but I get a black screen after I enable the Rift in the menu and start the game.

Is it supposed to be working in Linux?

Chaoss
Expert Protege
You just earned yourself a sale 🙂
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."

Chaoss
Expert Protege
That is a highly trippy game, especially when high.
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."

perrin
Honored Guest
"FictionX" wrote:
I bought the game when it came out for Linux, and I like it a lot - but I get a black screen after I enable the Rift in the menu and start the game.

Is it supposed to be working in Linux?

Sorry I should have clarified RIft support is currently only Windows and Mac. My mistake.

FictionX
Honored Guest
Hi

Thanks for answering..

Why is it not supported in Linux? Is it harder to implement?

Will You be adding it later?

perrin
Honored Guest
"FictionX" wrote:

Why is it not supported in Linux? Is it harder to implement?

Will You be adding it later?

afaik right now the Unity implementation for Rift is Mac/PC only. When they add Linux support hopefully I'll have time to go back and put it in.

edulinares
Honored Guest
About the Drift, isn't SDK2.3 suppose to greatly reduce it?

Question to the creator, is Kairo using SDK 2.3 for drift correction and IPD profile settings?

whoisonline
Explorer
Convinced. looking forward to this, but don't know what to expect. I'll post a vid on youtube.
Anyway, installing now. 🙂