cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

schrumpelrat
Honored Guest
first of english is not my native language and i'm not great with it, so please excuse bad grammar etc.

i have a problem with my rift. since it came to me i have trouble to play for more than a couple minutes or not even seconds before it loses the hdmi connection.
i tried several steps to fix this issue:

connect hdmi direct to the gpu port
connect hdmi through a front connection in my card reader
connect through a dvi to hdmi connector, a passive displayport to hdmi connector and an active displayport to hdmi connector

i also tried to refit the cable in the rift. i connected the rift to the usb 3 ports of my motherboard and on the port of my add on card. i also tried one usb 3 on the mb and one on the add on card and switch them vice versa.
i disabled the energy savings options on all usb ports, the rift sensor and the gpu.
i also tried different usb and gpu drivers (older ones as well as the current ones)

my specs:
intel i7 4790k
msi gd65 z87 gaming
palit gamerock 1080 (had the same issues on my palit 980ti, but my 1080 came short after my rift and i was thinking the 980ti had a incompatible hdmi port)
32gb ddr3 2133mhz
windows 10 pro 64bit
fresco logic fl1100 usb 3 pcie card

current installed gpu driver is 368.51, for usb 3 it is 10.0.10586.212 for the fresco card and the default windows driver for the intel usb 3 on the motherboard.

i also restart my pc after every fix attempt just to be sure everything is in the right place. 

i hope someone can help me to get in vr already ;_;

i added also the recommended logs. 
197 REPLIES 197

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems as though you have pretty much tried everything! Have you even tried your USB2 ports?

I would recommend contacting Oculus support through creating a ticket: https://tickets.oculus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

You might need a new cable

schrumpelrat
Honored Guest
ahh i was searching for the support ticket system in the first place xD thank you for the link! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
no prob bud, hope it gets sorted!

KevinHerzig
Honored Guest
I suddenly started having this issue about a week ago.  I found that somehow my USB driver for my "Fresco Logic" had been updated.  I reverted the driver to the Microsoft supplied driver, and it's back to stable.  

I seem to remember seeing this driver update having been pushed through the Oculus app, but I can't validate it.

Ruined
Heroic Explorer
I noticed with X79 mobo and GTX1080, RIFT loses HDMI connection if it is plugged into HDMI when the computer wakes from sleep.

schrumpelrat
Honored Guest

I suddenly started having this issue about a week ago.  I found that somehow my USB driver for my "Fresco Logic" had been updated.  I reverted the driver to the Microsoft supplied driver, and it's back to stable.  

I seem to remember seeing this driver update having been pushed through the Oculus app, but I can't validate it.

did the same and rolled back. my rift won't do anything with the updated fresco driver.

Ruined said:

I noticed with X79 mobo and GTX1080, RIFT loses HDMI connection if it is plugged into HDMI when the computer wakes from sleep.

i read a lot about this in my research. my pc is always completely turned off when i'm @work or sleeping. i never use the sleep function.

Ruined
Heroic Explorer

Ruined said:

i read a lot about this in my research. my pc is always completely turned off when i'm @work or sleeping. i never use the sleep function.

Another option is to unplug the rift from HDMI before computer wakes, wake computer from sleep, then plug rift back into HDMI.  I submitted a bug report to NVIDIA.

Hotdog12
Protege
got a similar problem, bending the headset connector triggers the problem. sometimes shaking the headset also turns it off. sometimes i cant play for even a few minutes, sometimes I can play for hours

Javbomb
Protege
This has been happening to me since day one. Got my oculus a few weeks ago. Only just got my replacement cable today. Still the issue persists, If I set the Oculus on the table I have stable connection, as soon as I pick up and handle the unit in any way, the HMD drops connection repeatedly, definitely hardware fault at the HMD connection.

Obviously I have tried 8 different USB ports, 3 different HDMI ports spanning two graphics cards, two Oculus HDMI cables now (Including my replacement today), and the fact that the unit is stable when not physically touched points to the HMD being DOA Faulty. This is incredibly frustrating given it took 2 weeks of useless back and forth communication before I got my new cable. Wonder how long I will have to wait now for a new Oculus unit.

Support is hopeless, I should be able call a number and get to the bottom of my issue with a resolution in the space of one single phone call, not generic ticket based replies.

Hope you get your unit sorted, but prey that the cable is the actual issue, as in my case, my HMD is clearly stuffed.