cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No HDMI connection" error message on CV1

yoinkop
Honored Guest
So, my Rift was working perfectly well for two nights and now I am getting "No HDMI connection" no matter what I do. USB is connected fine, constant orange light on the Rift. The HDMI cable is plugged in firmly at both ends. Only thing I did since it worked last was update my nvidia drivers. Please help!

Firmware is 707 / 41670b3eb7. Asus 980 strix & i7 4770

26 REPLIES 26

DarkTenka
Trustee

I have the same issue.
Also a strix 970gtx.
Very strange.
For now i dont get it working. I requested a cable replacement on the support.
For those where the DVI->doesn'twork adapter works. did you also exchange the cable on the rift?

Hey Tosken. I also had this problem on a strix gtx-980. I requested a new cable but in the time it took them to respond I went out and bought a hdmi to dvi adapter and it worked with the cable I already had. I have had 0 problems since although presumably the picture is not as sharp.. though regular hdmi connection still doesn't work so i have nothing to compare it to.

They are still sending a cable but being in Australia means it will probably take a while. I have been using it non stop with the dvi adapter though and im loving every bit if it. Considering it cost me $800 aud i don't mind the extra $15 adapter.

hope it works just as well for you.

Tosken1337
Honored Guest
Thanks for your answer KillCard.
I have ordered a dvi->hdmi adapter today. I will let you know if it works for me.
I hope so.
I also wrote a support ticket with my issue and asked for a cable replacement.
I hope it does not take so long.

Tosken1337
Honored Guest
Using a hdmi->dvi adapter works for me.
Do you have an ide if this has some effect on the performance (lower refresh rate)?
or the image quality?

Tuukela
Honored Guest

Oculus CV1 must be plugged into the HDMI port of the real graphics card, but in Laptop computers default HDMI-port is connected to Intel integrated GPU. So this might be reason why you not able to connect to CV1

Normally it is possible to change in Nvidia settings that certain applications uses real graphics card instead of Intel integrated GPU, but in Oculus Rift case this is not possible. It is useless to change Oculus setup to use real GPU and n NVIDIA setting there is no possibility to define setting where HDMI port uses the real graphics card.

Do you have ideas how to force HDMI to real graphics card instead Intel integrated GPU?

DarkTenka
Trustee

Using a hdmi->dvi adapter works for me.
Do you have an ide if this has some effect on the performance (lower refresh rate)?
or the image quality?

I cant say for sure .. I think theoretically the image is not as high resolution as the picture looks different on my monitor hdmi vs dvi.. the hdmi looks sharper there so I think the image is not quite as good. Although it is adequate and still works perfectly for everything.. after that 24 hr period of being scared that I bought a $800 brick I'm just happy to be using it now lol.

notaprimenumber
Protege
It's happening again and again, it got rapidly to number one problem for me. No only HDMI, also another code I haven't written (it'll happen again, I'll note it next time), or some generic no connection or bad tracking.
This is in a comfy chair, for E:D, not while jumping around. I checked the connection in the Rift, which isn't connected to any extension cable, directly to the supposedly good inateck/frescologic card with added power from the power supply, and the gpu HDMI.
Side note, the camera is actually connected to an extension cable, but it hasn't given problem at this time. Both correctly say usb3 in the devices section of oculus home.

Now, if it's a cable related problem, as in the ports, not the cable itself, this might be the only problem oculus will have with room scale. If this connection thing happens when sitting, moving won't help any.

p.s.
The "code" nominated, it was "Your headset isn't working properly. Please check device/ u00a0settings." that comes and expires. Too bad it all goes black in the headset, and when it regains focus it stays black in the game, although I can use the remote and check the status, the game does not return to the hmd.
Random connection problems like this makes the experience frustrating at least.

splicer12
Protege
It's strange. I have a Strix GeForce 970 and I get intermittent HDMI connection issues. Usually a cold boot of my machine will correct it, but I have found that reinstalling the drivers using the GeForce Experience can get the HMD back up if shutting down the computer doesn't help. I think the glitch is more on the Strix and less with the HMD.

jamesp99
Explorer
I solved this issue: Spent an evening unplugging cables etc thinking I had a broken rift but it turned out to be the new Nvidia drivers: Uninstalled them and installed an older version. All working after that.

Then installed the new version again and the problem hasn't returned.

westernten
Honored Guest
what older version of the driver did you install?, this is driving me crazy

flexy123
Superstar
I bet any money this is YET ANOTHER NV driver problem which can be solved by connecting a monitor via HDMI on the port where the Rift normally is, and then resetting everything in control panel. NV control panel/drivers sometimes do WEIRD things with displays on HDMI and the fact that the Rift normally doesn't have a dedicated NV control panel accessible doesn't exactly help.
I bet 90% that you can get your Rift working, plug a monitor in, bring up NV control panel and check all the settings.