cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor USB not detected

artvegam3
Explorer
I just got my OR today and I can't finish the setup because the Sensor is not being detected as a USB 3.0. I have a MOBO Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 that has 4 USB 3.0 ports, 2 in the back and 2 on top. I'm connecting the headset into the HDMI of the GTX 970 videocard and the USB into one of the back USB 3.0 ports, both are recognized as OK by OR setup. Then I plug the sensor in the other USB 3.0 port in the back and marks an error. I swap the USB 3.0 port connections with the headset and the sensor, but I get the same error. I plug back the headset and is marked as OK. I have tried in all the other USB ports, even the 2.0 but still get the error.
In the Device view in control panel, it shows the OR sensor and it says at the bottom that is connected at a USB 3.0 port. but is marked as an unrecognized device. 
Could this be a faulty sensor? or what other alternatives do I have to explore before discarding that possibility?
Please help. $650 USD is not a small amount of money, to get something that doesn't work out of the box.
Thanks.
44 REPLIES 44

TheBrightSide
Honored Guest
I have the same problem. Sent in three help desk tickets, no solution. The sensor was working for a while but then failed. I uninstalled and re-installed the oculus software multiple times. Tried all the USB 3 ports, The sensor turns on, then shuts off, then on, then off.

TheBrightSide
Honored Guest
Holy smokes, plugging it in through the usb 2 extension worked. Weird.

TheBrightSide
Honored Guest
I ordered a PCIe USB 3 card. I suspect that will solve the connection issues. Not sure why some of the USB 3 connections on the front of the computer cabinet will not run it. This computer doesn't have enough USB 3 connections on the motherboard for the sensors and the headset. 

TheBrightSide
Honored Guest
The bouncing is some conflict between the sensor being plugged through the usb 2 dongle. I plugged it strait back into usb 3 and the bouncing stopped but it says it can't find the sensor.

retiredfe
Honored Guest
Well, I have the same exact problem.  I have tried plugging the sensor into the xbox cord to the USB, that did not work, I just put Oculus on my D drive, that did not work, I tried plugging into a 2.0 USB port, that did not work.  This whole problem started a few days ago after the Oculus 1.7 update.  It's been nothing but headaches since.  Worked well until then, now the sensor is in, out, in, out.  $600 for nothing.  Hope they get the memo from these forums and get another update to fix it, or figure out a way to let us roll the update back.  This is ridiculous.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You probably have unsupported USB ports, or a below spec computer. Try getting a USB 3.0 add-on card. This one is confirmed to be working. 
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TheBrightSide
Honored Guest
I installed a PCIe USB 3 card. It didn't fix it. Oculus finally got back and offered to replace the sensor. Haven't got the new one yet. Replacing the motherboard tonight with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming. On Reddit alot of people said they were having this problem with ASUS motherboards, so it's worth a try.

Way frustrating though. 

I will update. 

LokiThorne
Protege
For Asus boards, trying uninstalling the ASUS AI Suite.  The USB driver on that thing KILLED my Oculus.  As soon as I uninstalled it, I had a whole lot better performance.  I still have camera dropouts (although I haven't gotten one in the 12 hours since I plugging it into a powered hub...), but the performance is MUCH better.

47thTime
Honored Guest
I had this same problem last week, it's fixed now.
I got my CV1 headset about 4 months and everything was working great.  Then along came a Windows update and suddenly my system would not detect the sensor.  The other devices connected to the USB hub worked just fine. I tried a lot of different things, even connecting to a 2.0 port, rebooted about 30 times, all to no avail.
My fix, I hope it works for you too.  From the device manager, Update the driver for the Rift Sensor, but not by using Windows to search for the latest driver. Instead, use the "browse my computer...", navigate to the Oculus folder/ sub folder to find the Rift Sensor driver.  Once I did that it all worked again.
Also, from the Device Manager, go into the properties popup for all your USB root Hubs, and de-select "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" located under the Power Management tab.
Good Luck.

spammaleros
Honored Guest
Same problem on gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. Works only on USB 2.0, not 3.0