cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

schrumpelrat
Honored Guest
first of english is not my native language and i'm not great with it, so please excuse bad grammar etc.

i have a problem with my rift. since it came to me i have trouble to play for more than a couple minutes or not even seconds before it loses the hdmi connection.
i tried several steps to fix this issue:

connect hdmi direct to the gpu port
connect hdmi through a front connection in my card reader
connect through a dvi to hdmi connector, a passive displayport to hdmi connector and an active displayport to hdmi connector

i also tried to refit the cable in the rift. i connected the rift to the usb 3 ports of my motherboard and on the port of my add on card. i also tried one usb 3 on the mb and one on the add on card and switch them vice versa.
i disabled the energy savings options on all usb ports, the rift sensor and the gpu.
i also tried different usb and gpu drivers (older ones as well as the current ones)

my specs:
intel i7 4790k
msi gd65 z87 gaming
palit gamerock 1080 (had the same issues on my palit 980ti, but my 1080 came short after my rift and i was thinking the 980ti had a incompatible hdmi port)
32gb ddr3 2133mhz
windows 10 pro 64bit
fresco logic fl1100 usb 3 pcie card

current installed gpu driver is 368.51, for usb 3 it is 10.0.10586.212 for the fresco card and the default windows driver for the intel usb 3 on the motherboard.

i also restart my pc after every fix attempt just to be sure everything is in the right place. 

i hope someone can help me to get in vr already ;_;

i added also the recommended logs. 
197 REPLIES 197

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer

Ruined said:

I noticed with X79 mobo and GTX1080, RIFT loses HDMI connection if it is plugged into HDMI when the computer wakes from sleep.

Just tested this myself on an ASUS P8Z68-VLX motherboard and I get the same issue. Waking from sleep causes the Rift to lost HDMI connection.

Javbomb
Protege

PIXELATED said:

@javbomb.. did you get your rift made happy again or are you still waiting?

Not just yet...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/417773/#Comment_417773

Javbomb
Protege

Javbomb said:

PIXELATED said:

@javbomb.. did you get your rift made happy again or are you still waiting?

Not just yet...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/417773/#Comment_417773

Got my replacement Rift Finally... After four hours of the amber light and not being able to get it working I found a really odd quirk where I had a rogue file called 'Program' in the root directory of C Drive which was stopping the Oculus services from correctly executing the library and switching on the HMD... I was almost ready to give up when I finally looked really hard at the Oculus logs and found some references to not being a valid Win32 application, googled it, and saw a tip saying that's usually because of a space in the file path... Ha.

Anyway, deleted that file, and holy hell it all seems to work. Didn't play for too long, but I kind of squeezed the HMD and twisted it a bit to the point where the other would cut out and this one is good... played a couple games for about 30 mins and not one drop out despite taking on and off the HMD a few times. I think this nightmare may be over 'touch wood'

Time to try and forget this whole ordeal and just enjoy VR.

Over and out.

PIXELATED
Adventurer
@Javbomb
great that you got your replacement.. - very envious

and that file called "Program" is in my startup process so I disabled it to see if it made a difference to the CV1 - answer 'no' - on or off !
...but what the hell is a thing called 'program' sitting in start up with no details about it... I'm typing this on a Mac which I use for email and internet except of course for downloading Oculus stuff - the Pc is purely for CV1 - Well it was until the HMD didn't work... just a large money cow sitting there waiting for love from support right now (-:
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

SauSack
Protege
...and another one who got several HDMI disconnects - no matter if I manipulate the cable or not.....
Hopefully they will fix their SOFTWARE RELATED issue.....

PIXELATED
Adventurer
@SauSack
Wish I could believe it was a 'software' related issue ! 
My rift worked when I first installed it into a fresh PC... then over a short period of time it gradually worked less and less.. my guess is that something gets hot inside the headset and starts to fail then eventually gives up. 
TO ADD:
Here's a couple of vids from people with exactly the same issue to illustrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1NG8BOJtQ&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCSLPuFBJ0

mine used to do this 'connect/disconnect' behaviour but now there's nothing, zilch happening just orange light

SauSack
Protege
Here its slightly different.
The biggest problem seem to be within starting the rift hardware.
Everything seems to work fine, I can shake the cable as much as I want to, no error, but when I force the rift to illuminate - by putting it on my face, or even by touching the sensor which indicates if its active or not - the HDMI error appears and the rift monitors turn black.
After restarting the oculus software it works again, sometimes for an hour, but when I turn it on again next time the error strikes back ........

Really annoying........

Will have to look further into it.......

SauSack
Protege
.....even more confused after some testing.....

While ingame I can shake and pull as much as I want to(!) - it seems to be stable....

But when I then try to take the rift off the HDMI error pops up, even when I only stretch the headset I get the error message.....

After restarting the oculus software it seem to work again......till I try to put it on and stretch those bands 😕

What a SHITE!

That does not make any sense to me at all.....

Will try to ask the support...

Ybalrid
Expert Protege
I actually got the same kind of HDMI connection problem, and they seem worse when the rift has been powered on for a moment and is a bit warm. This is weird.

It doesn't happen often enough for now for me to bother contacting the support, but I'm quite reassured to say that's it's not only mine that suffer from this.

It only happens when I put/remove the headset from my face while holding/pressuring the left side of the unit. Slightly squeezing the frame through the fabric create the same issue. But only sometimes...

If it gets worse, I'll ask the support for a replacement. 😕
CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3 Developer at LIV

PIXELATED
Adventurer
@Ybalrid
I hope your headset stays alive..!

Mine has now packed up completely, I have tried many things including:

1. Installing / re-installing USB drivers for Asus Z170 deluxe motherboard
2. Turning off power saving mode on ALL USB ports so they are now constantly on - no sleep
3. Buying an Inotec PCI USB3 card
4. Buying a HDMI to displayport adapter - just in case my display port was the problem on the GTX1080 <eek>
5. Re-installing Oculus software - 7 times - not forgetting to delete hidden folders
6. Disabling windows firewall
7. Disabling and then uninstalling BitDefender virus protection software
8. Checking for bent or missing pins on all leads
9. Checking leads for kinks or cuts
10. Formatting Hard drive and re-installing Windoze 10 pro

11. oh forgot to add; trying all the many different usb ports and permutations - I know how to have fun

...so then I contacted support on 19th July and supplied them with all the log files needed - described very well here;
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...

and was asked: 
  • Is your computer a desktop or a laptop?
  • Do you get any sort of error messages at all?
  • Is the Rift plugged into your motherboard or your dedicated GPU?
  • to run the compatibility tool
  • re plug in the headsets hdmi cable
that was even more fun..

Then i sent more log files and pictures of my computer, its usb connections and made a small video (not very good) of the connect disconnect issue and also a photo of the "Hardware Error" message i was getting.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9fw3e90rfz7nsi/Oculus%20hardware%20error.mp4?dl=0

more here but not my videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1NG8BOJtQ&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCSLPuFBJ0

If you've got this far in the post - well done 🙂  

Since the CV1 was a significant birthday present from my partner I asked her to write to Oculus and open a ticket asking them to look into my case as I thought they were ignoring me because I was not the registered purchaser - (despite my messages to them in March this year asking them to transfer ownership of CV1 to my name so I could feel good when it arrived - late June)  I was so excited when it came but hadn't finished building a PC good enough to run it yet - argggh - but it all worked out fine, the Rift worked fabulously for one or was it two days in 15 minute intervals.

Support contacted me and my partner TODAY 23rd July - very polite and apologetic suggesting I send a photo of the headsets plug ends on the leads
<Tick> 

TLDR: Reported all this 5 days ago and now have someone nice at Oculus looking into sending me a postage label via email to return it to the warehouse - somewhere in America i imagine.

Hope you don't have to go through all this mate o:)

PS; I'm an 'old' electronics engineer and sometimes when small things get hot they stop doing what they are intended to do. Cool your rift and only use it for half an hour and it might be OK