cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift sensor frequently disconnecting and reconnecting

Jadziyah
Protege
Hi all. My rift setup was running just peachy for a while. Then for some unknown reason I thought I'd download the W10 anniversary update. The update took a while but installed fine. My rift setup, however, was completely borked by it. The xbox controller wouldn't connect anymore (as I see many threads here about that), the headset actually wouldn't start up when I put it on my head anymore (I had to manually start Oculus home), and my sensor keep randomly disconnecting and reconnecting while not using the Oculus.

Suffice to say I hastily rolled back the anniversary update. The controller and headset issues are fixed, but the rift sensor is not. When not in Oculus mode it frequently - as in every second or two - blinks off connection and then reconnects itself. I've tried the following:
- Reinstalling oculus, re-ran the full setup
- Went to the item in Device Manager and unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
- Unplugged my Logitech webcam which might have been conflicting with it somehow
- Switched USB ports

I am about to go crazy here 🙂  What else can I do? I rolled the anniversary update back but perhaps some drivers, or something didn't rollback and I need to do it separately? Currently it's listed as W10 version 1511, OS build 10586. All Rift items are plugged into USB 3.0 ports. My graphics card - GTX 970 - is up to date. Help would be really, really appreciated 🙂 
86 REPLIES 86

sether01
Explorer
I have the same issue, and had it before 1.7 as well. Log file attached. I ended up plugging it in a USB2 port for the time being, but haven't had a chance to use the Rift enough since to see if that has fixed it. If you need more information just let me know.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Oculus need to fix this so that it works with all Usb 3.0 ports and usb 3.0 hubs. Why are they messing about limiting the device to use only certain usb 3.0 ports? This was asking for a whole load of problems and it looks like the craps just hit the fan. 

sether01
Explorer

lovethis said:

Oculus need to fix this so that it works with all Usb 3.0 ports and usb 3.0 hubs. Why are they messing about limiting the device to use only certain usb 3.0 ports? This was asking for a whole load of problems and it looks like the craps just hit the fan. 

Some USB3 port are likely out of spec and don't provide enough power, would be my guess.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

sether01 said:

lovethis said:

Some USB3 port are likely out of spec and don't provide enough power, would be my guess.

I've tested using a powered usb 3.0 hub, but even though the sensors got all the power it wants, it still didn't work. My powered usb 3.0 hub didn't even detect the sensor at all though. Why are people suggesting it is a power problem when it only started after the last Oculus update? I've now ordered a different powered usb 3.0 hub to see if that works or at-least detects the sensor. It's starting to feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find a fix though.

Edit: Also, How is a usb 3.0 out of spec when we've had to resort to using 2.0 to get it working for the time being? Usb 3.0 are the usb ports that are on the latest motherboards right now.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is a high priority task and we have engineering and QA teams looking into it now. Really sorry for the trouble, but we'll get to the bottom of this.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

maxx11111
Adventurer
Cyber what driver do you recommend for the 4 port inatek card

Thanks

bunnsnow
Protege
Something interesting I've been reading is about EHCI and xHCI USB controllers and resource limitations. It seems that in the upgrade from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0, there are some trade-offs in terms of fewer devices that can be connected at once. And those limits apply not just to USB 3.0 devices, but to all devices connected to a USB 3.0 host. This is a hardware limitation imposed by Intel starting with Z97. Prior to this USB 2.0 used a EHCI controller and USB 3.0 a xHCI controller. Now all USB ports go through the xHCI controller.

Some systems allow disabling the USB 3.0 (XHCI) controller in the BIOS to fall back to the USB 2.0 (ECHI) controller on the system. This is unfortunately a global settings though which will mean that all devices connected whether USB2 or 3 will be running as USB 2.0.

I would be interested to hear from anyone still having issues with disconnecting issues that have exhausted all other possible fixes suggested on the forums, whether the above resolves the problem for them.

Oculus seem to have some issues with their cables and the HMDs themselves, but I think there are other issues with USB controllers resources/power limitations etc as well, so I think things are probably quite difficult for them at the moment pin pointing the causes of all problems.

cybereality
Grand Champion

maxx11111 said:

The 3.6.8.0 should be good.
https://support.zoho.com/portal/frescologic/home
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

maxx11111
Adventurer

maxx11111 said:

The 3.6.8.0 should be good.
https://support.zoho.com/portal/frescologic/home

ah i was using that  a few weeks ago and contacted support about it due to loads of disconnection issues, is this what you use on your test computer?

memorgan
Explorer
I was having all sorts of issues, HDMI dropouts etc. Uninstalled the fresco logic USB drivers, reboot into windows 10, and no issues for over 2 hours now.  Home is telling me I need to update my drivers, but not going to, its all working, so until a decent fix is done, I'm leaving things as they are....working!