cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift and Laptops. - [April 2016 Update IT WORKS]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey all, I'm somewhat confused with the state of Oculus' software recently.

I own a DK1 and two DK2s. I used to have a desktop with an Intel 2500k @ 4.5GHZ, 8GB DDR3 and an MSI 7970 Lightning running Windows 7. Obviously the DK1 worked great with this.

I then sold my desktop about 6 months before the DK2 came out and I got a laptop with a Core i7 4710HQ, 8GB DDR3 and an nVidia 860m 2GB (Optimus) Running Windows 8.1. Again the DK1 worked perfectly with this and I had purchased a DK2 the second it became available and this also worked perfectly on the laptop.

I've now recently upgraded my laptop again, Core i7 4710MQ, 16GB DDR3, nvidia 970m (Optimus) running Windows 10. And for the first time I just can't get the Rift to work. My biggest issue seems to be that even though the Rift is plugged in, it's receiving power AND displaying an image, the Rift config utility says "HMD is not powered, check HDMI connection".

The way my laptop works is if anything is plugged into the HDMI port, the 970m is turned on and controls that output exclusively. So I'm very baffled to why it's returning this error. It seems like the Rift software has taken a huge step back in this regard?

I suppose my biggest question is, what is Oculus doing to remedy this? Is laptop support a priority? For people like myself with powerful gaming laptops it's a bit of a kick that it doesn't work.
29 REPLIES 29

dreimer1986
Adventurer
Right, same story like ppl showing up in cinema at a movie I and many other ppl went to, too and noone of these few read the (OT) meaning Original Tone aka ENGLISH and then being pissed like hell. Oculus said EXACTLY which cards will be supported as bare minimum and a mobile variant is not even close to the desktop one. I am very sure there won't be many returns at all.

xalex
Protege
I was worried my msi dominator pro g219 (980m gpu) skylake cpu also, was not going to work with my rift, but low and behold its working pretty decent and I haven't even switched my laptop to high performance mode. It still says at the top of my home screen that my computer isn't up to date yadda yadda. But eve is working and demo videos and VR desktop are working and I'm about to try edge of nowhere soon. So if you have a laptop with skylake cpu and 980m,it should work,your not going to get the best settings on everything. But I'm happy to wait for 1080 gpu or 1080ti, to put in my desktop to get 90fps,untill them I'm rocking out on my laptop!

xi11ix
Adventurer
@xalex It's awesome you managed to find a laptop that works but it's still a good idea to stay away from laptops for the time being. Not only will you get better performance with a desktop, which will will reduce the risk of getting sick, but you'll get support from Oculus if you run into issues.

ProntoJr
Protege
Any config for Vive and Rift compatible laptop?

xi11ix
Adventurer

ProntoJr said:

Any config for Vive and Rift compatible laptop?

If you want a good experience don't use a laptop.

xalex
Protege

xi11ix said:

@xalex It's awesome you managed to find a laptop that works but it's still a good idea to stay away from laptops for the time being. Not only will you get better performance with a desktop, which will will reduce the risk of getting sick, but you'll get support from Oculus if you run into issues.

Since I haven't gotten high end gpu yet, (cuz they are sold out at most places) So when I do get my gpu for my desktop, I can assume the clarity and the occasional blurriness with be like crystal clear?

Sebyte
Honored Guest

Cyph3r said:

Necro'ing my own thread here.

I'm happy to report that the same Optimus enabled laptop that didn't work with my DK2 and runtime 0.8, now works perfectly with the new Oculus Home Platform:

Full thread I made about it on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4dtomo/so_optimus_laptops_work_yes/

How did you get to the left image? My PhysX configuration looks a lot different. I only have a select proccesor option; so even though I select the GeForce GTX 980m the display doesnt change and I can't connect the headset. 

Grobm
Explorer
DK2s work fine on GTx970-980m laptops.... rift Cv1 does not work... latest update creates a mad crazy power cycle.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a MSI Dragon series my I just bought from best buy.  It is advertised to work with VR.  It runs everything great. (even though I get the message on the rift that my system is not compatible)  The only thing I can not do is use Virtual Desktop and Big Screen.  It will not let me share my screen.  Not sure If I am missing something.  Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can run everything great but can not do this?  When my Rift is hooked up should it show up as an extra monitor in display settings in windows 10?  

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, Rift does not show up as an external monitor in Windows. This is normal and intentional.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV