cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One Wireless Controller turns off on Windows 10 PC

haapavuo
Protege

Previously all the three Xbox One Wireless Controllers worked like charm on Windows 10 (before Anniversary Update). Now, after the Anniversary Update, as I try them, they stay on for about 5 seconds and then turn off.

This is not a battery issue. Rebooting computer helps sometimes, and I can then again play without problems until I again disconnect one controller. After that, all the controllers get again disconnected after 5 seconds when being on.

The controllers work well if they are wired (USB) to the PC. I have updated the controller firmware to the latest. They also work on another computer that has Windows 10 (no Anniversary Update).

I think this issue started after Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Any possible fixes for this? Thanks.

I already tried to reinstall Windows 10 (Anniversary) and update the Wireless Dongle drivers but it didn't help. I have also tried multiple different USB ports (2.0, 3.0).

The same problem was also mentioned here: "Installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update caused our X...

I have already contacted Xbox Support and Microsoft Support but they were unable to help (said they will send a ticket to the developers but you never know...). I am sure I am not alone with this issue since ArsTechnica has mentioned it too (link above).

I have also made a post regarding this issue here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/288881/xbox-one-wireless-controller-turns-off-on-windows-1...

125 REPLIES 125

haapavuo
Protege
Good to hear that this cancer is starting to spread on other too (he he)!

I also have the latest firmware update installed on the controllers, have tried the newest win10 driver but also version "20.24.34.491" which was supposed to help but it didn't.

I am now going to try the "Shut down Oculus runtime" method mentioned above.

Anonymous
Not applicable
What good is shutting down Oculus when I need Oculus to run the VR games? But this has been going on for months!?

PerfectConsumer
Honored Guest
I think the older version of the driver only helped if you were unable to install the dongle initially, but for us old timers who have had working devices that recently stopped working, we are going to need some other solution.  This update has really, really screwed up the Rift experience.  I read somewhere that some guy discovered a memory leak with the controller, but I have no idea if that's related to this issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had no issues since I first got the Rift months ago, now it seems I'm getting plenty. The main two are sensor disconnects and my oculus pad shuts down. Something did really screw up somewhere along the line of updates.

master4382
Honored Guest
Chance the energie settings! This works for me!

master4382
Honored Guest

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok will change it and have a look in a bit. Thanks! 

master4382
Honored Guest
I have also change the usb energie settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed the advice above and downloaded the xbox accessory app, ran it with my controller plugged into a USB 2 port (USB 3 wouldn't work), the controller was then updated and it fixed the issue  🙂

Could you please post the current firmware version of the controller you updated?  When you say USB 3 wouldn't work, do you mean it did not find any updates, or the accessory app would not detect the controller?  Just curious, because I don't have any USB 2 ports on my PC, only USB 3.

Granted, I also checked my controllers for updates on my Xbox One just to be thorough, but I don't know if there are separate firmware versions for the PC and Xbox One.

When I plugged it into the USB 3 port the controller lit up but the xbox app couldn't find it, luckily I've got a mixture of USB 2 and 3 on my PC.

I'll have a look at the firmware version of the controller and windows 10 and post them here tonight.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My controller is also annoyingly starting to turn off all the time and I have to restart my computer to fix it

This is seriously ridiculous. Anybody knows if you can use Oculus Home fine with the normal x360 controller? I'm thinking on just rolling back to that and be done with it