cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom 3 BFG Edition (RB + OpenVR)

Leyland
Expert Protege
You can find the latest version here, last updated Dec 13, 2016, 6:19 PM PST, it is based upon RB DOOM 3 BFG and OpenVR:

https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases/tag/1.1.0-openvr12

There is 4 ways to play:
* Seated with Gamepad or Keyboard / Mouse, view independent weapon
* Seated with Gamepad or Keyboard / Mouse, weapon attached to view
* Standing with Gamepad
* Standing with VR controllers

By default it is in standing mode, to enable seated mode in the console (~ key) type:
vr_seated 1

By default seated mode has a view independent weapon, to have the weapon attached to the view in the console type:
vr_aimLook 1

For standing mode you can set your height in the console by typing this with your height in centimeters:
vr_playerHeightCM 171

For seated mode to recenter your body (affects things like movement direction, menu direction, and tilting):
vr_resetPose

The blue circle under your feet is SteamVRs Chaperone, I can't do anything about it in the game BUT you can make it invisible by editing the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings" and change "CollisionBoundsColorGammaA"  to 0 (The source for this work around was http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/535151589885341101/?ctp=2)

If you want to submit issues on github do it here:
https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/issues

83 REPLIES 83

Leyland
Expert Protege

Blasp said:

Also chaperone overlay is visible, and vive controller models. The planet looks weird, with a red-green color gradient, as if with using vertex colors as a texture.

By any chance are you using any kind of injection driver, like VorpX or Vireio?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I checked again and the vive controllers are visible only if steam overlay is enabled, so I guess thats OK. Other issues persist, tough. I can see the menus, HUD and chaperone, and the game seems to be running, but the rest of the graphics is black. I have Windows 10 and no injection drivers installed.

Leyland
Expert Protege
Someone else was having "opengl issues common to doom 3" and they solved it by setting:
r_fullscreen 0
you can do the same thing by pressing alt-enter in game.

Leyland
Expert Protege
edit: this was also a duplicate post WTF!

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
edit: somehow the forum software posted a copy of my comment from before.

RABID
Expert Protege

Blasp said:

I checked again and the vive controllers are visible only if steam overlay is enabled, so I guess thats OK. Other issues persist, tough. I can see the menus, HUD and chaperone, and the game seems to be running, but the rest of the graphics is black. I have Windows 10 and no injection drivers installed.

i had same issue, i uninstalled game deleted folder and reinstalled. was fine after that

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer

Leyland said:

vr_playerHeightCM is intended to resize you into a full size space marine! So in standing mode if you are short it will make you taller and if you are taller it will make you shorter. In seated mode it only affects worldscale. A space marine is 194.31 cm (setting it to that height will make the world unscaled)

For seated mode try playing with vr_resetPose instead, if you feel taller than you should sit up taller and call it or vice versa if you feel shorter. BUT currently you have to restart the game for vr_resetPose to work. I am working on a fix so you don't have to restart the game.

Hm,  
pm_normalviewheight works pretty good for changing the player height (without affecting the worldscale) 
However, I'm happy stuff like this can be easily modified via the configs and without needing programming skills.

on a different note; I noticed some framedrops in certain situations.
it happens often while looking through windows, those glass shaders seem to be demanding.
Maybe I can try fixing that myself by editing some material files or so.
And sometimes there are fps drops between rooms. I guess this has to do with how the engine loads and unloads the map assets, so I assume there is not much that can be done about it?

anyway, I'm sure I'll have more questions and suggestions once 
I've tried it with Touch controllers,. 😄 
I'm curious to see how the analog sticks will work for example.
Seated mode works near perfect for me.

Leyland
Expert Protege

Syndroid said:

on a different note; I noticed some framedrops in certain situations.
it happens often while looking through windows, those glass shaders seem to be demanding.
Maybe I can try fixing that myself by editing some material files or so.
And sometimes there are fps drops between rooms. I guess this has to do with how the engine loads and unloads the map assets, so I assume there is not much that can be done about it?

I don't notice the framerate drops with windows (probably my 980 ti) but I do get the occasional quick one between rooms. There is also sometimes where it autosaves and no updates occur for a number of seconds. Hopefully someday soon Valve will give us ATW/ASW, then I think even loading screens will update.

I was also kind of hoping someone would create an OpenVR wrapper for Oculus SDK, and avoid SteamVR and take advantage of their features. I might do that some day, if I get the time.

Syndroid said:

anyway, I'm sure I'll have more questions and suggestions once I've tried it with Touch controllers,. 😄 
I'm curious to see how the analog sticks will work for example.
Seated mode works near perfect for me.

It is very likely going to require tuning, I am having a field day right now with the fact that I don't have a Vive and some Vive users are not happy with the controls and I've realized that touchpads don't map well to joysticks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blasp said:

It works now, turns out I had some previous mods in Doom 3 directory interfering with this mod, reinstall solved the issue.

Playing an actual AAA game in VR is amazing, best Vive game by far IMHO.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to rebind the controls on Vive controllers? Default movement scheme is way too complex for me, Id like to have simple button press to move forward..