cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not charging in gear Vr (S7)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just picked up a gear VR and having lots of fun with it however, connecting the micro USB cable to it to charge while in use is not working. I first tried a generic cable, then the Samsung fast charger and cable and finally the Samsung cable that came with the phone but I keep getting the same message: "Charger connected. cannot charge mobile device while wearing gear VR". Any help would be appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer
o:) Have you tried turning it off and on again ?

cybereality
Grand Champion
The USB cable on the Gear VR is to power the device while you use it (so it doesn't drain the battery). It won't actually charge your phone.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

tomithey
Honored Guest
When I first got my Gear VR it would charge my phone while I played.  Then there was an update to my phone and the next time I plugged it in I got the message "Charger connected. Cannot charge mobile device while wearing Gear VR".  Was a change implemented?

kinggio71
Honored Guest
Mines 2. It was working. charging then the update and now it wont charge.

ritchiethompson
Honored Guest
Experiencing the same thing with galaxy s7 edge.  I just got a gear VR and when I connect charge cable via USB passthrough on gear VR it tells me I cannot charge while in use and won't let me continue until I unplug the charger.  From what I've read it seems this is supposed to work.  Ideas?

sohala
Honored Guest
Having the same problem with my S6. It has been working fine for a year and stopped working from yesterday. Tells me I cannot charge while in use..

Jermonte
Honored Guest
I figured this was some new crap update.  

LesioQ
Honored Guest
Big update just done, but charging problem persists ... 😞

lairdcregarron
Honored Guest
We have same problem. A case of the consumer being screwed again.