cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound cuts out during online match of Unspoken/Dead and Buried

edwardburch3
Honored Guest
My Rift audio worked totally fine during the entire tutorial for both games. It also works during practice rounds and in menus. But right when I make a connection to another player in any online mode, the sound cuts out. Just silence. If I hit the Home button, it blips in for a split second. If I exit to home, everything works again. Even if I play through the match silently, the instant the other player disconnects my sound comes back. 

I've added exceptions to my firewall, thinking that could be it. Still hasn't changed. Does anyone know whats happening? 
20 REPLIES 20

OmiCron07
Honored Guest
I have exactly the same problem! Whenever it's a multiplayer game using the microphone, the audio stops working. I have the Rift since launch and the problem only started with the arrival of Touch. Tried with and without the extensions. I can make it "working" but people says my voice is really weird, like low deep god like and can't hear me well.

My solution, not a good one, is using Microsoft's generic drivers for the audio of the Rift. I can get the sound working in multiplayer game but doesn't sound great for the mic. If I reinstall the Oculus' drivers, the same problems come back. I don't give the steps because it's not a good solution and making the mic unusable, then just disable Rift mic in the recording devices panel instead.

Or for a temporary solution, while in-game and each game you start, go to recording devices panel, right click on the Rift mic, disable, enable it again, change tab or close the panel. You will have sound while the mic is usable but I don't know if sound great.

The strange thing is, when you disable and enable again the mic, you have no sound until you switch the tab. If you switch back to the recording panel, the sound cut out again.

OmiCron07
Honored Guest
Someone at Oculus can respond to let us know if the problem is investigated?

theboyroberts
Honored Guest
Exactly the same issue.

Would rather play the game with sound and no voice chat though - any ideas how I can do that?

OmiCron07
Honored Guest

Exactly the same issue.

Would rather play the game with sound and no voice chat though - any ideas how I can do that?

Disable the mic in recording devices. But I fixed my problem switching the USB port for the headset.

SuperTuck
Expert Protege
Removing any USB and hdmi extension fixed my problem

Lionheartcartoo
Honored Guest
I use no cord extensions and sadly connecting the headset to a different USB3 port is not an option.  Currently on an Asus P8z77 -V Deluxe and the ASMedia USB 3 ports cause the cameras to not be properly detected.

As with the other users, Dead and Buried works great up till the point I join and online game, where the sound cuts off.  The speaker icon DOES show that the microphone is picking up sounds, but I don't hear anything or have any way to know if someone hears what is broadcasted. 

I can only imagine the nightmare the other players went through, trying to talk to me or tell whoever they could hear to shut up.  Especially if they could hear something, as I always assumed that no one could hear anything if I couldn't hear it.

Looks like my best option is to disable the mic as to prevent said bug.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Rift can be used on a USB 2.0 port and sometimes this helps with compatibility.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TheseGoodTarts
Honored Guest
Try going to playback devices. Select Headphones (Rift Audio). Click on Properties. Then open the Advanced tab, and make sure the Default Format is set to "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". For me, it was set to 48000 Hz for some reason.

I had this problem for a long time. This fixed it for me.

If that doesn't work I'd say just fuck around with the settings. Maybe when you set it up, you (or someone else) switched something from default. If you want to know the exact settings that worked for me, just ask.

Elecman
Explorer
Same problem here.

Excellion
Explorer

Try going to playback devices. Select Headphones (Rift Audio). Click on Properties. Then open the Advanced tab, and make sure the Default Format is set to "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)". For me, it was set to 48000 Hz for some reason.
Cheers, this worked for me.

In VRChat it was even weirder. Since you can change
the input device type (mic), whenever I switched to my main (non-oculus)
sound device for recording, the sound from the oculus speakers started
working again. The output of the sound is definitely linked to the mic
being active/selected or not.