cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any way to import images

danknugz
Superstar
any way to import images so we can use them for reference, like a naked person in an art class.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
55 REPLIES 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not yet! I feel your pain too, I find it really helpful to have a reference. Ive just been peeking at images while sculpting. The guys working on Medium mentioned they are currently working on it but i guess it might be hard to do.

Devilstower
Expert Protege
This is my biggest request. Seems like an obvious need that's much greater here than in a non VR-based sculpting tool. I find myself constantly flipping up the headset to check details against a source image.

I've yet to delve deeply into medium... but can a 3D object be imported complete with its textures? If so, an image could be placed on a flatish object in another package, then imported as a reference canvas. Or does import just import the shape?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@DaftnDirect
It's just the shape. On the plus side, I've noticed that when you export a layer as a stamp, it preserves the colours (at least on the preview) This seems a bit wasteful unless they're planning to have them coloured at some point in the future. Coloured stamps would be sick, btw!

Thanks @P3nT4gR4m, I've probably asked that question before. Really need to have another play with Medium

OK I found a way.... at least it's a way if you have Photoshop. Will put together a short set of instructions and example.

zk2h72e7eik8.gif

The only way I can find is to put the image on the clouds backdrop, there's no other way to do it that I can find but this also means the backdrop itself can be changed.

Instructions for above:

Go to x:\Oculus\Software\Software\oculus-oculus-medium-retail\assets\raw\textures\environment\clouds
MAKE A BACKUP of clouds_skybox.dds and rename it.

Download nvidia Texture Tool plugin for Adobe Photoshop: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop  (this will allow you to open and save .dds images).

Open clouds_skybox.dds (not the backup) in Photoshop
Open your referance image and copy it into the clouds_skybox.dds image as a new layer

Reduce the horizontal size of the referance image by about 40%
Apply the 'Distort/Polar Coordinates' filter to the image, with 'Rectangular to Polar' as the set option

Rotate and position the image to roughly where I've shown below

Save as clouds_skybox.dds back into same folder as above.

15fdgooyn4vq.jpg

I can post a.psd template if that helps

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@DaftnDirect Dude,  you are the reigning king of awesome! Im not too bothered about ref images but if I can change that skysphere to something a bit more - P3nT4gR4m, I'll be the complete man!