cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any way to import images

danknugz
Superstar
any way to import images so we can use them for reference, like a naked person in an art class.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
55 REPLIES 55

Just tested Paint.net and that also opens .dds images and it's free: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

It has layers and also provides the ability to carry out polar distortions so may be able to do what Photoshop does.

johnboyjr
Protege

Just tested Paint.net and that also opens .dds images and it's free: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

It has layers and also provides the ability to carry out polar distortions so may be able to do what Photoshop does.

it imports  and opends fine in the sky but i am not sure how to get the distortion right it looks worped in medium

@johnboyjr, can you use my example (see above) as a layer? then use that as a guide to position the reference image in Paint.net?

I've not used Paint.net so will have to have a play to figure out the exact steps needed in that app

Edit. OK I've just had a play and it looks like Paint.net won't let you distort the reference image in the right way.

Paint.net will let you convert any image to and from .dds format though, so if you have another paint package that performs the polar transform ok, then you can use Paint.net to convert it to .dds.

Otherwise it looks like Photoshop is the only option!

johnboyjr
Protege

@johnboyjr, can you use my example (see above) as a layer? then use that as a guide to position the reference image in Paint.net?

I've not used Paint.net so will have to have a play to figure out the exact steps needed in that app

2 problems its mirrored and it looks like its leaning back

Edit. OK I've just had a play and it looks like Paint.net won't let you distort the reference image in the right way.

Paint.net will let you convert any image to and from .dds format though, so if you have another paint package that performs the polar transform ok, then you can use Paint.net to convert it to .dds.

Otherwise it looks like Photoshop is the only option!

@johnboyjr, was that done using Paint.net or Photoshop?

Basically you need the sides of the reference image to point towards the centre of the sphere, that will ensure the image appears upright and not leaning back.

Reversing the image should be easy enough so that it's not mirrored.

johnboyjr
Protege

@johnboyjr, was that done using Paint.net or Photoshop?

paint

I will post how to do it with paint.Net latter

That's a much better result than I got with Paint.

Photoshop pretty much sets that image to the correct proportion by default but I realise it's a lot of money if this is the only reason to purchase it!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
You know those cute, fluffy sculpts I do from time to time? Well you can wave goodbye to those. As of tonight everything I make will be CENOBITES!!!

ye3qybvx3jis.jpg

johnboyjr
Protege

P3nT4gR4m said:

You know those cute, fluffy sculpts I do from time to time? Well you can wave goodbye to those. As of tonight everything I make will be CENOBITES!!!

ye3qybvx3jis.jpg

how did you get the model next to the photo?