cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Pirate Trainer: Leaderboard

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
So after enjoying this game for a good bit, I decided to try a serious attempt at increasing my scores. Here are my results.
I noticed there's no hardcore mode rankings for single weapons like there is for classic. If anyone wants tips or wishes to post their scores as well, feel free, the more the merrier. 🙂

Mixed                          | Rank 75 | 66075 (hardcore - Rank 31 - 41175)  - Wildt 56 - 71475 (Wildt's hardcore mixed - 0)
Quark Cannon             | Rank 16 | 65025     - Wildt 35 - 56375
Pulse Laser                 | Rank 9 | 42200     - Wildt 34 - 30550
Shotworks                   | Rank 21 | 48575     - Wildt 16 - 56100
Railgun                        | Rank 48 | 18000     - Wildt 65 - 16350
-Raygun                        | Rank 13 | 60875     - Wildt 9 - 71475
Ion Grenade                | Rank 22 | 64975      - Wildt 75 42350
Brawler (sword only)   | Rank 35 | 23550      - Wildt 277 6850

I may update this later as I beat old scores and such. Pretty fun game, easily the best wave shooter I've tried.

Edit - Updated ranks to be accurate, added a rival to the list in the spirit of competition. If anyone else not a friend of mine that wants to add me feel free, or just post your scores here.
105 REPLIES 105

Vetkin
Expert Protege
What would you say is a good strategy for a beginner?  I've played this game a decent amount but still rank in the thousands.

kzintzi
Trustee
don't die :tongue:

I'd like to know too
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
I would say to do good you really need more than standing room only. I use around 6x8feet play space and I feel if I had more I could rank even higher. It may help to start off in a corner of the playspace and go right/left from there to dodge slowly.

When there's a lot shooting at you, try to imagine your body has a tron cycle trail and if you go back through your previous path you get hit. So when time slows and you need to move, slowly go right (or left) non stop and when you can't go farther, stoop/squat/bend down to go under the path then left again until you're almost back at the spot you started at.

The premise is you need to steadily move in a path you haven't been in recently and they should not be able to hit you, like the old snake games but in a 3d cube instead of 2d in a square. It also seems to be essential to make the ones about to fire a priority target, and if they're charging and get hit or moved by blast then the charge restarts. One reason my ion grenade is my highest score is because those grenades are the best weapon for disrupting their charges, fire 2 into a group and detonate them and many die and those who don't are flung around and have to correct themselves to even aim to start charging again.

I also personally think the shields are a bad idea if you're going for a high score. They do protect you and all, but they also half your damage output/rate of fire, and make you stand still more making yourself more of a target. Plus it's really hard to think about where to block while you're trying to shoot with your free hand, making dodging while dual firing the much better option.

Also save all your power-ups for the more difficult waves, it's temping to grab them when you see them, but not really worth it. Also, Ray-gun has a neat effect where you can cross the streams of both guns and it combines into a stream that's stronger than both individually.

And it may help to know that "a" and "x" on the touch controllers are a previous weapon quickswap so you don't have to fumble with the thumb-stick selection to easily use 2 sets of weapons, I find it works good to have ion grenades and shotworks (or quark cannon) on quick-swap to do same quick heavy damage with the 'nades then instantly start picking them off with the accuracy of the quarks.

Good luck, hope some of that helps.

Wildt
Consultant
Good initiative @OpticKing

I agree with not using shield. I'm only at 46k on mixed though (a few hundred below @LordQuake grrrrr :angry: )

I usually start of with a mix of default laser and shotworks gun as it's my best way of reliably clearing the early levels quickly (time bonus). Then at around wave 10 ish I switch to ION grenades as @OpticKing described.

One tip I can toss in if you decide to go with the laser/shotworks - it's important to go John Woo style with your arms wide apart as the projectiles otherwise hit eachother and cancel out.

I'll start gunning for some of your weapon specific scores @OpticKing  - some of them look achievable :grin:

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Warbloke
Superstar
OpticKing takes his games so seriously and approaches them scientifically. I bet he can solve a Rubix cube in seconds.... without peeling off the stickers.
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

Wildt
Consultant

Warbloke said:

OpticKing takes his games so seriously and approaches them scientifically. I bet he can solve a Rubix cube in seconds.... without peeling off the stickers.

One of my coworkers son can literally do that with his eyes closed, after inspecting it for a moment.

Vetkin
Expert Protege
Thanks for the tips!  I hadn't really considered the size of my play area being such an issue but there's no way for me to really dodge without crossing my previous path.  My office is a small shared spare bedroom with two computer desks in it, so the only space I have to dodge is about one or two steps in any direction. It barely meets the minimum recommended play area during the guardian setup.

Because dodging is so difficult, I'm forced to use the shield, and as OpticKing said it's difficult to have your attention split between blocking and firing your weapon. When I get hit it's usually because I'm getting shot at from multiple directions and I can't focus on blocking both and shooting at the same time.

Even when handicapped by space limitations it's still a blast to play. Probably one of the most immersive games I've tried.

Applecorp
Rising Star
Yeah it's funny, I'm pretty crap at this but I blame my own ability and not the game, and it's still fun. Kind of like how crap I was at Space Invaders when I was a kid (1980).

Wildt
Consultant

Applecorp said:

Yeah it's funny, I'm pretty crap at this but I blame my own ability and not the game, and it's still fun. Kind of like how crap I was at Space Invaders when I was a kid (1980).

I could seriously post the above in the Thumper thread :wink:
But please post your scores anyway, or invite me as a OH friend. 
My ego needs a boost