cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ozelon sketckbook

ozelon
Protege

Hi guys, I’m slowly learning medium. Had it for a week but
didn’t get a long enough stretch of time to complete anything. Here are my first
test sculpts. Upload unfortunately won’t work as I’m not in the US.

As a long term zbrush user I have to say that I’m blown away
by the possibilities VR and in specific medium opens up for sculpting.

Even this first version of medium has significant advantages
over Zbrush or mudbox.

Anyway, feedback and comments are very welcome.

Cheers.n2s1cayel9yn.pngbas5oy98jxsk.png0gcg8p3s7o1u.png

19 REPLIES 19

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's great!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Upload feature should be working for everyone now 🙂

Great work! I really like your creature sculpt, I'm currently working on my own monster type thing at the moment! 

ozelon
Protege
Thanks guys,
I will try the upload again later today. 

FrozenPea said:

The Upload feature should be working for everyone now 🙂

Great work! I really like your creature sculpt, I'm currently working on my own monster type thing at the moment! 

I'll check it out one you posted it!

ozelon
Protege

This is somewhat WIP, I
may go a little further to finish it up. Feedback is as always welcome.

I didn’t get to
uploading my other sketches yet but may try later today if I have time. Things
I learned/realized in the process:

pros:

- medium still feels a lot faster and more fun in
many aspects than Zbrush

-       Creating your own stamps is incredibly easy

-       Even relatively complex scenes don’t slow down my
PC

-       OBJ export looked like it would crash but Medium
exported the file and it didn’t take too long. OBJ size 1.3GB. Imported to
Zbrush and rendered in Keyshot without a problem.

-       Stamps as brushes are crazy powerful

Cons

-       Posing anything is very painful without masking
to rotate or translate

-       Layer management becomes tedious when having
more than 10. Especially when trying to pose something as you have to create
layers to be able to do so.

-       Stuff always looks better in VR than in Zbrush
once exported 😛

-       I wish alphas were supported for sculpting as
well as painting

-       Brush size manipulation should work similar to
the saturation slider in the color picker and go beyond current max size. This
becomes especially apparent at “higher resolution”7z3et98htzdu.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Really amazing sculpt man!

Glad it's not just me then!  😄
Stuff always looks better in VR than in Zbrush once exported 

What do you do to it in Zbrush?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
First off - Siiiiiick!

In relation to your cons points:

"Posing anything is very painful without masking to rotate or translate"

Totally agree that masking is something I'd like but, in the meantime, I've found a surprisingly fast pose workflow using the cut tool on the joints. Ordinarily (in flatscreen) this would be a nightmare of a thing to put back together (even thinking about it is giving me the heebies) but I find in Medium, even if I'm working at fine detail level, "gluing" a split back together and tidying it up is pretty much effortless.

"Layer management becomes tedious when having more than 10. Especially when trying to pose something as you have to create layers to be able to do so."

Very this! Naming, ordering and grouping are desperately required. Arsing about with layers currently accounts for a significant percentage of my sculpt time and is generally quite a teeth-grindy experience.

"
Stuff always looks better in VR than in Zbrush once exported" 

Can't speak for zbrush but my stuff looks better in blender, just cos I can do proper multi-source lighting and PBR.

"I wish alphas were supported for sculpting as well as painting"

Yes. Inflate/deflate through an alpha would almost make Medium a zbrush beater all on it's own

"Brush size manipulation should work similar to the saturation slider in the color picker and go beyond current max size. This becomes especially apparent at “higher resolution”

The devs have addressed this and unfortunately it's a performance limitation, unique to the voxel environment Medium uses. They've said they're looking at ways to deal but I get the impression we're waiting on someone on the team having a eureka moment so we might be stuck with this for a while.

ozelon
Protege

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your
feedback and your tech reply/input.

I agree that posing cut layers feels very
natural in VR but what I’m missing is a soft falloff.

Also, I maxed out my layer count many
times in the process of making this. And I think the worst part was that after
cutting the layer was added on at the bottom of the list. In order to merge
them back together I have scroll all the way down which doesn’t seem like a big
deal but if you cut something from one of the top most layers it gets annoying
after a while.

A cut layer should go right underneath
the “parent” layer from my point of view.

Also sometimes the cut tool isn’t
long enough to cut through certain things. In which case posing becomes
impossible?

Stuff looking worse in Zbrush was
somewhat of a joke. I think due to the lower resolution of the rift I didn't realise that I was missing detail in many areas. It’s really my fault
of not putting it there in first place. However it didn’t seem to be necessary while
looking at it in VR. It became a lot more apparent once in Zbrush.
Also I put much more time into his
right boot than the left. The one that is hidden behind the rat. It didn’t occur
to me in VR that I wouldn’t really see that in a render.
I mark this down to learning to work
in VR and making the right decisions in the progress.

I thought that the smooth strength
was limited by tech does that apply to brush radius as well? That’d be unfortunate.

I also wanted to mention in my wish
list above that stamp size is unfortunately limited. I wanted to use stamps for
the iron gate pattern but I couldn’t make the stamp big enough. Therefore I had
to clone layers instead.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
" Also sometimes the cut tool isn’t long enough to cut through certain things. In which case posing becomes impossible?"

Yeah, only way around is to clone and then delete alernate parts but this is a cheap workaround and you will feel hollow and kinda dirty for a couple of days after. 

"
I thought that the smooth strength was limited by tech does that apply to brush radius as well? That’d be unfortunate.

I also wanted to mention in my wish list above that stamp size is unfortunately limited. I wanted to use stamps for the iron gate pattern but I couldn’t make the stamp big enough. Therefore I had to clone layers instead.
"

With polygon 3d it's got to store a bunch of vertices and the engine blasts in the polygons between them, with voxels it's a 3 dimensional matrix. Everything you can see is stored as an individual value. It's memory intensive as hell. My workaround is to max the stamp-size (this will always get you the highest detail available for the stamp) and stick it on a separate layer. The layer can then be stretched independently of the rest (both grab buttons + layer-mode) so you can blow it up to the size you need. You'll lose detail in doing so but you can always sculpt that back in. 

ozelon
Protege
I shared that second sculpt here in case anyone is interested in checking it out. I will share more stuff in the future.

https://www.oculus.com/medium/artists/ozelon/

@P3nT4gR4m: congrats to the poster of the week trophy 😛
Also thanks for the voxel explanation, makes sense. I used the method you described for increasing stamp sizes however if you want to make many copies of the same item it becomes a very tedious process in comparison to using a stamp the regular way.

I mean all of these issues are minor if you consider that this is the first version of the software. Let's just hope that the Medium team has as much fun continuing development as we have using the software.