cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SouthernGFX Sketchbook

southerngfx
Adventurer
A couple of weeks in now and I'm loving working with Medium. Lots of things I want added but to be honest I'm happy enough learning what's there for now.  We've had stuff out and got it into ZBrush with good success. We've managed to get stuff into Mesh Labs, fix it, UV it and get it into ZBrush ready for colour printing on a J750 but nothing amazing to show there yet.

qwkoh5ig5nu3.jpg

41kw0dlmpg6t.jpg

ws72rckrwu5t.jpg
--
v1hgzu04b3ib.jpg
--

Oculus Medium Sculpting - Tethered Amalgam by Glen Southern from SouthernGFX on Vimeo.

h41017kc7irn.jpg

Oculus Medium Sculpting - Ginger Troll by Glen Southern from SouthernGFX on Vimeo.

Oculus Medium Ginger Troll test printed on a Form2
rg2rc5rauojo.jpg
6eydtnbhv81a.jpg

3yanal3phcw9.jpg
--

Oculus Medium Sculpting - Voltaic Construct by Glen Southern from SouthernGFX on Vimeo.

141 REPLIES 141

ozelon
Protege
Thanks a lot for the meshlab steps. That will save me a lot of time.
I'm considering using the colour as a clown pass/colour ID for substance painter.

Did you by any chance do any of this:
I have been thinking about a good workflow of minimising coloring time. I wonder if it makes sense to to paint with a "colored" claybrush to cut down on time required for painting later.

or:
Also splitting a mesh into layers for different material setting. I haven't tried that yet. I seems pretty obvious but in practice it may be a lot harder as cutting a mesh for material properties may require lots of complicated cuts. Maybe if one is diligent enough about using different layers in first place it may be possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @nalex66 yeah it's still pretty much the same 🙂

@southerngfx Problem is I don't have Zbrush 😛 , but thanks for the explanation it is still really helpful! I think I should be able to replicate a lot of the steps using other pieces of software! 🙂

Also splitting a mesh into layers for different material setting.
@ozelon I found this by far the easiest way to do it if you are only using materials, texturing is where the problems come from 🙂 But yeah you have to think about this from the beginning of the sculpt, so I add a new layer for every new material I would like to use.

Then I can quickly import it into Maya and slap some materials on it straight away:
0hnlifv9ahj3.jpg
Bonus image of just throwing some basic materials on the model although the eyes were done with Maya, just basic spheres with texture on it nothing fancy but it just show what you can do if you layer in medium! 
j1aqjdwsyni5.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
If you're not bothered about game-ready assets. I've had not bad results exporting from meshalbs in caldera, straight into blender, plugging the vertex colours into cycles and knocking up some PBR's. Even thought about repainting mono in Medium for  texture blending and specular and whatnot then dragging those over to blender too but not sure how the coordinates system would hold up. Seems a bit twitchy.

Dunno if substance painter and zbrush and the like work on vertex colours maybe still need UV's

d6w3i4tasm45.jpg

Oakshios
Explorer
Please upload these to your Medium Gallery!  I want to see them up close.

southerngfx
Adventurer
ci72nfeq2a6k.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
GODLIKE!!! Photoshop? 

southerngfx
Adventurer
No photoshop at all. I did the paintover in procreate on an iPad Pro. Tweaked the colours with Snapseed.

danknugz
Superstar
amazing work
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Cool, should have said Chop or equivalent. I meant it hadn't been through a renderer is all. 

southerngfx
Adventurer
P3nT4gR4m: sure. No renderer just a screen shot from the internal camera but I set it up in portrait mode to give me more res. And then ipadery 🙂