cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can mirrors throw off the sensors?

cybernettr
Superstar
 I have a pair of large, mirrored sliding closet doors in the room in which my Rift is located. Although I can open one or the other door, they are built into the wall and impossible to remove completely.  I was wondering if it is possible that it could throw off the sensors? Maybe they see the image of the touch controller in the mirror and think it is the actual controller? Not sure is this is technically possible, but I wanted to rule this out, as I am having some tracking issues with my two controllers. 

ewzq5qltmuzy.jpg
(Not my room – my room is more cluttered LOL!) 
13 REPLIES 13

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
It's possible but I think most tests have shown that reflections aren't an issue.  You might have an extreme case though.  Should be easy enough to throw a sheet over it to rule it out.

BTW, if you have that same type of door you just lift the whole door up, angle it out at the bottom and it should slip out of the rail at the top.

Then throw it out in the hallway. 🙂

elboffor
Consultant
Off topic here, but i like that paint.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

kojack
MVP
MVP
If the camera can see the controller in the mirror, there might be a problem. In theory the software could detect this by checking if the orientation is impossible (you can't rotate an object into a mirrored pose), but I don't know if they are doing that or what happens if it both sees a touch and its reflection at the same time.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

maxpare79
Trustee
I have a huge collectible display (8 feet wide by 3 feet high) with a mirrored background...my 2 front sensors are on top of this case and my 3rd sensor on the wall perpendicular to this case...I had tracking problems in A chair in a Room, where my hands would go back and forth and back and forth...after some testing, I found out that it was my mirrors that were causing the problem with probably the 3rd sensor seeing the controllers in the mirror. After putting a sheet over my display everything worked out fine
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

brackus1
Protege
Depends on how far the mirrors are from the sensors.  Range of sensors are about 10 ft.  They shouldn't see anything beyond that.

Luciferous
Consultant
I was wondering this a while back. Couldn't the reflection be used to improve the coverage. Could it tell it is a reflection by the inverse IR pattern and use it. I mean the controllers may not be visible from behind but the headset would be and you could also see the front of the headset in the mirror.

kojack
MVP
MVP
The problem is it has no idea about the actual position and orientation of the mirror, therefore it could tell it's a mirror image (the inverse pattern) but not where the hmd is being reflected from. It would just appear to be further away through the wall.
If the exact mirror dimensions/position/orientation was known relative to the camera, then it would be potentially possible if the distance didn't become too great for leds to be distinguished.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering this a while back. Couldn't the reflection be used to improve the coverage. Could it tell it is a reflection by the inverse IR pattern and use it. I mean the controllers may not be visible from behind but the headset would be and you could also see the front of the headset in the mirror.

Code would need to be written to account for that. Since there is no mention of such from Oculus, we'd have to assume they did not account for it. 

cybernettr
Superstar
I've been experimenting with opening one door and then the other, as well as leaving both doors closed, and as of yet have not been able to detect any definitive difference in tracking. I will have to try hanging a sheet over it as has been suggested and see if that does anything.   Seems to happen in some games more than others so maybe it's a software issue.