cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix temporarily Oculus 1.11 tracking problem (UPDATED 08/02/2017)

AlehandoroVR
Protege
**NEW UPDATE IN POST 16
THIS SOLUTION IS TEMPORARY AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE SOLUTION OF THE PROBLEM OR THE IMPROVEMENT OF THE TRACKING

This is the most disastrous way to solve the tracking problem that has been caused by the Oculus Home update 1.11.

It is a very sloppy way to solve it. I was an OSVR user and I had to take the same solution to improve the tracking until I was able to update the firmware of the LED controller.

To put everything in situ this was my problem:

And now this is how it works:

There has been no change of software, nor of position, everything is exactly the same with the same hardware, same cables and same installation of windows / software.

I have not been able to check if it also solves the height problem since I'm doing the tracking tests right now, but for now I've only been able to solve the problem with the Right Touch, but fixing it on the left would not take more than 5 minutes.
As I point out this is a temporary solution until Oculus releases a real solution to our problem.

This problem also appeared in OSVR from the beginning, and was due to a problem in the "blinking" or synchronization of the LEDs that caused jumps to spoil the whole experience.

At the time the publication of the firmware that solved the problem in OSVR consisted in a rewriting of the code of synchronization and the shutdown of certain LEDs of the HMD to facilitate its vision by part of the sensor.

I discovered (it is on reddit in case you want to look for it https://www.reddit.com/r/OSVR/comments/501ta6/osvr_hdk_tracking_demonstration_pre_post_ir_board/ ) that plugging those infrared leds with black tape would get practically the same effect as updating the firmware.

And indeed, the same solution I adopted at OSVR has come back to work here until Oculus solves the problem via software.

7pftl3d79mc3.jpg

Sorry for my English.

28 REPLIES 28

YoLolo69
Trustee
Really interesting Reddit post explaining the OSVR leds problem, and effectively could be the same issue here, thanks for posting!

Saying that, that's a really weird way to solve the problem temporally but if it improve tracking, why not? Duct tape can do Magic stuffs 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

jamolo3
Honored Guest
Thank you, i hope this helps oculus staff to improve the tracking issues 

AlehandoroVR
Protege

Bobpies
Explorer
how you know which leds to blank off?

elboffor
Consultant
@Alehandoro, you sir are a legend and I salute you.

Please release more in depth images of what you have blocked out and how we can all get to testing for you.

Out of interest, is blocking the leds on the headset strictly necesary?

Edit;
The handover between your front and rear cameras looks violent! It may be because of how smooth the rest of the tracking is.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

elboffor said:

@Alehandoro, you sir are a legend and I salute you.

Please release more in depth images of what you have blocked out and how we can all get to testing for you.

Out of interest, is blocking the leds on the headset strictly necesary?

Edit;
The handover between your front and rear cameras looks violent! It may be because of how smooth the rest of the tracking is.

I believe blocking the headset leds is what avoids the height glitch, as it's probably caused by confusion between the cameras when they can see it rotating. Maybe blocking the back ones would work

AlehandoroVR
Protege

This is a temporary solution to my case.

I do not know if it will solve other problems, but for me it is much better than to be watching as my hands constantly jump. Right now there is some leap, but I think I'm plugging incorrect (or insufficient) leds I do not know.

The jumps that were produced only with the sensor no longer gives, and that for me is something important because it made me unplayable.

If the control LEDs are not plugged, the sensors jump is still produced, but in the Touch it is more complicated to "hit" with the LEDs that need to be plugged. In some cases, I have covered the one that is not and my command has become two.

All this seems to be the same problem that had OSVR and was a problem of Leds synchronization, in OSVR was solved updating the firmware of the controller of infrared leds, in Oculus I have no idea ...

So that the HMD does not produce jumps in the sensors, block these leds:

d74cv05trtak.jpg

AlehandoroVR
Protege
If you also block some upper and lateral LEDs, You will not have problems when you turn.

rv1r8adtra9d.jpgdq0pjn94mfcu.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Holly shit Oculus... Why are they even using the headset to determine if the sensors moved? Shouldn't the sensors be used as a fixed stationary point?
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?