cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much RAM do you wish you had?

cybernettr
Superstar
Of course, more RAM is always better, and it's easy to say, "as much as possible," but within reason, (and within the limits of your current or next PC) how much are RAM do you wish you had? (for both Medium and regular VR)?  

What is the maximum capacity of your current VR PC, and if money were no object, would you max it out it today?  

If your system holds a maximum of 64, would it be wiser to go to 32 instead, knowing that in a couple of years you will be able to get 64 GB at the same cost that you can get 32 today? Will Medium almost never need 64 or will it eat it up greedily for some of the more complex sculpts and operations? 

I asked Google about RAM and it gave this handy little list of frequently asked questions on the search page, including how much memory you need.  Knowing that computer advice can go out of date within a couple of months, this Is was what it offered from extremetech > gaming: 

"A lightweight system today can get by with 4GB of RAM. 8GB should be plenty for current and near-term future applications, 16GB gives you comfortable space for the future, and anything over 16GB is likely overkill unless you specifically know you need it (such as for video editing or audio post-production)."
www.extremetech.com › gaming › 2224...

(A Dell tech openly admitted to me that Alienware sadly underequipped it's high-end gaming systems with only 16 GB of RAM.)
54 REPLIES 54

matskatsaba
Adventurer
32gigs is plenty, there is no game on the market currently that can benefit from more than that.
I have 64 and there is no noticable difference.
It is a nice thing for VR to have 64gigs tho, use 32gigs for ramdrive and running apps from there. beats world`s fastest ssd (and that`s busy running the OS anyway).

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I have 16gb. if I was building a PC today from scratch I would consider 32, no more for sure, and to be honest, 16 is still fine.

just to put into context 16gb is 4x single layer DVDs, or 20 CDs that is a whole shed load of data storage......

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
I JUST built a very high end machine myself (I7-7700k, gtx 1080, etc..) and put in 16GB of 3200. Sixteen is plenty

cleetose
Protege
I've been using the same set of 4x4GB ram sticks for over five years. Haven't seen a need to go any higher yet.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
16 GB is more than enough for gaming, but for doing some CAD stuff or using Oculus Medium, 32 GB or more is better.

I upgraded from 16 GB to 32 GB shortly before Touch came, and I'm glad I did (I anticipated the need for Medium, and that turned out to be a good guess).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I have yet to find that I need to go beyond 16GB, even when I'm using a Virtual Machine and running 2 OS's at the same time. However, even with the software development work I perform, the applications are lightweight so 16 gigs of RAM is more than enough.

Any high-end multimedia app's can only benefit from more RAM (as Nalex the Great pointed out above).

cybereality
Grand Champion
For most people, 16GB should be more than enough. I have 32GB on my main dev rig but honestly it barely ever goes past 16GB that I've noticed.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cybernettr
Superstar
Well, I've been doing a fairly simple sculpt, just trying to put some more ground in for some rolling hills in the background and I've already run into SERIOUS  memory issues with 16GB, to the degree that I had to scrap my plans for this particular project. 

hwsynme0g56j.png

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
I just upgraded to 32 from 16. Only for medium. Was hitting the memory limit regular as clockwork and had to plan my sculpts around it. I've a drive full of half finished stuff that I can go back and finish off now. The rig itself is brand new with a 1080 tooling away inside. If it wasnt for medium I'd never have upgraded. Worth every penny!