cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retro 3D VR First Person Shooter - New Demo Uploaded!

DarkTenka
Trustee
New Demo Uploaded: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkhe30g5bkzzm5b/VR%20FPS%20Demo%200.02a.rar?dl=0

It's still very VERY rough .. lots of bugs and glitches, but it does have 1 level with a start and a finish.

I still havent fully fleshed out the level design, mostly I wanted to add more details etc. But unfortunately I won't be able to do much work on it for a while as I need to send my HMD back in for a replacement. So I wanted to release something for people to look at.

Warning: Only Free locomotion is currently in the game, I myself am pretty much completely immune so I have no idea if it is going to make you feel unwell.

Controls (Touch Only):

Left Stick: Forward/Backward/Strafe
Right Stick: Rotation

Hold - Y on the left controller or B on the right controller - Select weapon or access the options menu.
Trigger:
     If weapon held in hand - fire weapon.
     If no weapon held in hand - grab weapon grip (maneuver your hand to the weapon grip first).

Right Grip Button - Jump

Other Controls (on keyboard):

F - Toggle FPS Counter
G - Toggle Strippers in the Strip bar - I've disabled them by default because they are terribly unoptimized and may need to be redone from scratch. I made many mistakes with their models/materials due to my inexperience with Unity and how it handles "Draw Calls". I've since learnt a lot, but they are going to have to be redone (they werent all that great looking anyway). In any case, I've left the ability to re-enable them by pressing G, just expect a rather unreasonable frame drop if you choose to do so.

Options:

VR Options have been implemented for: Smooth/Snap rotation and Orientation Switching. They can be accessed by pressing B or Y and selecting "Options" from in game.

Please let me know if this is at least slightly enjoyable... or if it even works.

----
Previous:

This is just something I've been working on over the holidays. It has 2 enemies, 3 guns. Some weapons can be wielded using 2 hands such as the shot-gun (which you have to physically pump action using the touch controllers), or any gun can be dual-wielded Serious Sam style. It's got full touch controller support and features a first person body as well as arms that connect to the hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKGBLl75e38&t=216s

I tried to draw inspiration from the classic FPS style games such as DooM/Duke3D and Quake with maze-like level design that requires you to find keys to unlock doors and are packed with secret areas. I'm close to finishing up the basic functionality/engine stuff and am about to move into fully fleshing out the first level (many of the rooms are very plain at the moment as you can see in the video).

9 REPLIES 9

masterchop
Protege
I like the fact that you didnt go for the teleportation stuff, how is the motion sickness on it? is this the joystick or u r using another method of teleportation.

DarkTenka
Trustee

I like the fact that you didnt go for the teleportation stuff, how is the motion sickness on it? is this the joystick or u r using another method of teleportation.

It's currently only Free locomotion using the analogue sticks. I don't know if I will do Teleportation at all, but if I do, it will be optional and not forced.

As for "how the sickness is" .. I havent had anyone else test it for me yet, and I am pretty much completely immune at this point so I'm not sure exactly how bad it is.

Currently how the movement control scheme works:

Move forward/back/ strafe left/strafe right on the left anologue stick.
Smooth rotate on the right stick.

The direction is currently set to the HMD direction, so if you press forward on the left stick it will move forward in the direction you are looking, if you press left or right on the left stick, it strafes left or right based on which direction you are looking.

I am definitely going to include at least the following options:

Orientation - Headset/ Left Controller/ Right Controller
Rotation - Smooth/ snap 45/ snap 90

If I do choose to implement some kind of teleportation, I would like to actually try the "node" teleportation system that was used in the Bullet Train demo. Placing fixed nodes all over the level and allowing the player to teleport directly to them.

I am also thinking of including options for:

Acceleration - smooth/sudden
Tunnel Vision - off/ on rotation only/ on all movement

I'll be starting work on these after I have finished fleshing out the first level.

DarkTenka
Trustee
Bump - Playable Demo added.

Please give it a try if you are interested and let me know how it goes for you!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Wanna Dance?

Shake it Baby!

I haven't got time to play with myself

<insert Duke quotes here>

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Enmark
Expert Protege
LOVE the retro feeling!  ❤️

I will run this tonight with the kids  🙂

DarkTenka
Trustee

Breton said:

Thanks man!

I look forward to your feedback. 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Breton said:

"Kids" kids, or grown kids? I just ask because of the strippers in the video posted above.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

DarkTenka
Trustee

nalex66 said:

Breton said:

"Kids" kids, or grown kids? I just ask because of the strippers in the video posted above.

Welp... should be ok as long as you don't press G on the keyboard to re-enable them.

Enmark
Expert Protege
No problem we never entered the stripclub! Stayed on the street playing with the guns. 🙂
the kids liked it! 

it was somewhat hard to get the depth feeling from the rooftop looking down. maybe because the street is dark. the hands and guns are really cool!  it reminds me of movies from the 80-90.s when everything was polygonal and lacked texture. 🙂