cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using their motherboard USB 3.0 and NOT PCIe card with their Rift?

kandlewax
Explorer
Been reading reddit and I noticed few post in the past their motherboard USB 3.0 causing problems even though it passed the Oculus compatibility check. And of course, after purchasing the recommended Inateck card, it works for them.

To ask specifically. Is anyone using their motherboard USB 3.0 that is using the intel USB 3.0 eXtensible by Microsoft with no problems? Took a picture of device manager: http://i.imgur.com/ryGPPuv.png

I don't blame Oculus, it seems some motherboard manufacturers are skimping out the USB 3.0. I just want to know whether or not I need to purchase the Inateck card in advance.

Yea, would be great to hear anyone that has the intel USB 3.0 eXtensible driver and running Rift properly or not.

Thank you.

Oh, my motherboard is the Asrock z97m OC Formula and it passed the Oculus compatibility check but still has me worried.

45 REPLIES 45

dougchism
Expert Protege
When I had only two sensors I was able to get great tracking with my Z77 Sabertooth, HMD in the Intel port and sensors in the 2 Asmedia 3.0 ports ( although Oculus identified them as running USB 2.0 they ran great with no issues ). 

CaptainInfamous
Protege
I'm using the onboard intel usb 3.0/3.1 ports with MS drivers on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TB motherboard without too much difficulty.  2 sensors, roomscale 360 with 15' active usb 3.0 extension cables for both HMD and sensors and a 15' hdmi extension cable. No perceived dropped frames or missed tracking for touch controllers in about a 2.5m x 2m play area, so it all seems good so far.

YoLolo69
Trustee
No USB extension card, all using my dear old MB Asus P8Z77-v (summer 2012).
Headset and rear sensor on USB2, and the 2 front sensor as USB 3 on same controller. No bandwidth problems.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

vannagirl
Consultant
i am sorry can some please explain how i can tell what ports a pc usb is using i mean are they such as this innatek or intel or how

i think i read someone mention how but i am unsure now, my tracking is fine but i would just like to know in case i run into issues later
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Your motherboard manual should tell you which ports are run by which controller. usually each stack of four ports are on one controller (or two stacks per controller), and if you have two ports stacked with the ethernet jack, that's often shared with the internal header for the front ports.

Here's the section from the manual of one of my motherboards, for example:
dlgvnv1ypt76.jpg

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

assettomio
Adventurer
Jep here, I'm using a simple cheap MSI H110m pro-vd.. no problems whatsoever..
It looks like most if not all people that do have problems with the usb ports are using asus motherboards, could be wrong but it seems like it

bizjer
Expert Protege
msi z97 gaming 5, using onboard usb3 , all fine until last update but nothing that cant be fixed.

danknugz
Superstar

sparkie14 said:

I have an asus z170 gaming pro and use the onboard usb 3s there a 4 of them and a couple of usb 2's  no issues here whatsoever..

same, asus z170 pro gaming

the difference in my case, is that I use the usb 3.1 port for one of the sensors (doesn't work with the amazon basics 10ft extension, when I use that in the 3.1 port, the sensor detects it as usb 2.0 - so I have to use this sensor as the one closest to the PC case)

the remaining usb 3.0 ports I use for the other 2 sensors and the HMD.

it works fine for the most part, but occasionally the tracking will shit the bed (get the chimes and notification that the sensor isn't working properly), and other times one or two of the sensors will show "wireless sync failed", these can typically be resolved by restarting Oculus, the PC, or switching usb ports

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

danknugz
Superstar
I should also mention that I never have a problem with the sensor that is not on an extension cable, so it could also be the fact that I'm using passive usb 3 extension cables on the other 2 sensors.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

vlodato
Adventurer
I don't think it's board manufactures. It all depends on the chipset your CPU uses. Anything ivybridge and down will be a pain in the ass to get working properly. Everyday new USB 3.0 perifials are giving me more and more headaches. so yeah my CPU might be more then powerful enough but its chipset is garbage especially when using windows 10. Counting the days to my Ryzen 1700x build.