cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I simply can't wait for cv2 or next oculus rift.

shin777
Protege
I admit cv1 is huge improvement over dk2 but now I experienced cv1, I want better one. Higher resolution + more games will be nice. I just hope many developers bring out awesome VR titles. No matter how good the toy is, if there aren't enough titles and apps, it's no good. :smile:

I've checked many titles but there aren't any titles I would want to play for long. They are just for wow factors and I quickly lose interest. The only title I spend more than 10 hours on VR is.. you know.. that title. I wouldn't say its name but it's free game and lastest version is 1.5. Starts with W. lol. I saw amazing potential for that game. Right now, it's still early and polygon poppings are bad but with some adjustment and improved models, I can see this will be the future of Otakus. I am happy I bought Oculus for just that title alone. :dizzy:
45 REPLIES 45

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I can't get enough of 3D, I always buy blu-ray movies that come with 3D. I only like real 3D though, not the fake stuff, for example I spent £20 or wasted £20 on buying I-Robot in 3D and it wasn't even 3D, it was that fake 3D stuff. Really sucked. But that's only ever happened to me once or twice. 

Another amazing experience was that Nasa space documentary in 3D, omg that was soooo amazing! when they opened the bag of skittles and through the tennis ball and it was like coming out of the screen into my room and towards my face!!! That was so good, some of the best 3D I've ever seen!!

Back on topic, thread's like this bring sadness to my heart because I am still one of those consumers who're yet to purchase their first HMD. I'm planning on finally buying my first Rift at the end of 2017 after getting the mortgage out of the way. So I'm still very excited. And all I've got to go on with regards to experiencing this technology upto now is a 20 minute demo I had of the HTC Vive about 6 months ago which is now quite hard to remember the whole experience. But all I remember is thinking, wow, this is amazing, and it was only some basic demo's like the one where your stood in the castle with a bow and arrow shooting the little men running towards the doors and also shooting the exploding barrels and baloons.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevink808 said:

I have that same projector. But it's like @flexy123 said, the FOV just isn't there. That's what makes IMAX 3D viewing so much more convincing.  I think people like me were hoping for the same level of experience, only to be disappointed at home.  And by the way, I don't think 4k adds anything to a 1080p 3D projector. You need the 4k 3D projector to take advantage of it.  I didn't upgrade because what's the point?

What we all can agree on here is we need 4k per eye VR, then we'd be set and 3D TVs can then fuck off. Am I wrong?

Yes we need 4k per eye VR. Then we can go to a virtual IMAX theatre and watch 3D movies. This is when I think 3D movie content will really take off.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I have only had my Rift for about a month now, and I so love it.
I am definitely among those that now can't wait for the next generation of this device!

cybereality
Grand Champion
3D displays can still be pretty cool. I have an Optoma 3D projector (115" screen) and a 3D monitor for my PC. It's not a VR experience, but it's something different that is still compelling. Though I find most 3D movies somewhat underwhelming, with games you can get a nice experience. Mostly because you can control the stereo and really make it pop. For VR, the stereo is fixed to real-world dimensions, but on a monitor your can really crank it up and get extreme 3D (even if it sort of makes the world like a diorama, which is fine for most 3rd person titles).

That said, I haven't really used 3D as much in recent years, obviously due to VR headsets becoming popular, but also because using 3D glasses typically makes the image much darker and there are still lots of performance and compatibility issues with the DirectX injection driver model. But it's still interesting to me, especially when you consider the large amount of games (that weren't originally designed for 3D) that are playable.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Thane_
Heroic Explorer
3D gaming on a 3DTV is incredible. Fucking period, and NONE of the 3D gamers on Nvidia 3D forums rate their Rifts/Vives as better for gaming than their 3D setups. The problem with recommending 3D gaming on a 3DTV is that there are a hundred caveats you must mention IMO, like:

"Yeah its truly awesome, but..."

- only on a second generation and up 3D TV, because of their high brightness and fast pixels (less crosstalk).

-only good (IMO) if you pull it close for a wide FOV (like VR) such that the horizontal FOV is about that of the RIft. (I must turn my head to look around the world on my setup for example) I view my TV at about 2.5ft, and it replaces my monitor. Or use a projector (also limited to 720p).

HDMI bandwidth limits you to 720p or checkboard (960x1080) resolution.

-try to use a checkboard 3DTV because side-by-side 3D is 720p scaled over 1920x1080 and blurs it quite a bit over the already unclear 720p. Checkerboard miraculously looks like full 1080p.

-when comparing crosstalk among 3DTV, remember to warm the TV up first,
there is always heavy crosstalk when its cold and pixels operate much
faster when warm.

-there are a few sites that measure TV latency and crosstalk. Some sites do it well, some sites are misleading. I (don't think they warm up their TVs)

- passive 3DTV at close distance suck for gaming, the lines are too big. The 3D gaming community has gotten 4k passive to work and they claim to like it ,but my initial tests of passive 3D at close distances indicated that the passive lines were still just too noticeable.

-Input lag increases slightly with 3D mode on. For competitive online twitch gaming, you might have to turn 3D off to really compete at your highest level. I always turned my 3D off when entering cities or other dangerous areas in DayZ for example, mainly because DayZ has the additional problem of low framerate in cities.

-etc, etc, etc.

Do i still recommend a checkerboard (Samsung only unless old DLP) 3DTV if used close to you for 3D gaming? HELL YES! and don't wait to till you need one either, BUY IT TODAY AND TRY IT if you enjoy immersive gaming, but don't if you play games for points\competition\to enjoy with friends, and have a laugh.

kevink808
Superstar

Back on topic, thread's like this bring sadness to my heart because I am still one of those consumers who're yet to purchase their first HMD. I'm planning on finally buying my first Rift at the end of 2017 after getting the mortgage out of the way. So I'm still very excited.

I'm curious to see how your perspective of 3D TV changes or not after experiencing high-end VR.  (Unless I read your post wrong and you've tried it, you just don't own one yet)  Be sure to post back.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

kevink808
Superstar

Thane_ said:

3D gaming on a 3DTV is incredible. Fucking period, and NONE of the 3D gamers on Nvidia 3D forums rate their Rifts/Vives as better for gaming than their 3D setups. 

Are you talking about, for example, Nvidia 3D Vision? I've never tried 3D gaming as I just assumed it wouldn't be that great on a regular-size monitor < 30 inches.  I just have a hard time with moving my projector into my office for this purpose (it's mounted in my family room), nor do I want to buy another one just for this.  What's the best 3D gaming title bar none?
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

cybereality
Grand Champion
My monitor is 27" and it still looks great. A large screen (like a projector) has it's advantages, but physical displays tend to have better color and brightness, and aren't limited to HDMI 720p so look much crisper (in 1440p for example). 

Probably one of my favorite was the Metro series. It has native 3D support and looks insane (was really taxing at the time, but modern GPUs can probably handle it now). The new Tomb Raiders are also great and have native support. You may also want to check Trine 2, simply amazing. I also really liked Alice: Madness Returns and F.E.A.R 2.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer

My monitor is 27" and it still looks great. A large screen (like a projector) has it's advantages, but physical displays tend to have better color and brightness, and aren't limited to HDMI 720p so look much crisper (in 1440p for example). 

Probably one of my favorite was the Metro series. It has native 3D support and looks insane (was really taxing at the time, but modern GPUs can probably handle it now). The new Tomb Raiders are also great and have native support. You may also want to check Trine 2, simply amazing. I also really liked Alice: Madness Returns and F.E.A.R 2.

3D TV is amazing for gaming, indeed. I also loved Alice: Madness Returns. My absolute favorite are Batman: Arkhum City and DCS World. I used a 42 inch LG 3DTV. Amazing stuff.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Oh, I forgot Batman. Played the original Arkham Asylum and it was great.