cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED Win10 after the installation Oculus

kamskill
Honored Guest
Hello,
I installed Oculus Rift drivers downloaded from oculus.com/setup/. Everything is plugged in and installed properly.

The computer’s parameters:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
Intel Core i7-6700 CPU 4,00 GHz (8 CPUs)
32768MB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080

Oculus worked correctly, I tested demos, but the problem began at shutting down my computer. My PC couldn’t shut down on its own, I had to do it manually.

When I restarted the computer, the following error notification appeared: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25nij6g1pchslxb/20170204_003627.jpg?dl=0

restoring the system using a disk failed
trying to restore the backup failed
trying to enter safe mode failed
the backup from 3 days back was restored after typing rstrui command three times

The second attempt to install oculus rift

Correct installation and configuration, additionally with Steam VR installed
Movies and VR games tested – all worked properly.
I was trying to restart the computer, this time the device shut down without problems but right after starting up the same error notification appeared
https://www.dropbox.com/s/25nij6g1pchslxb/20170204_003627.jpg?dl=0

This time the system was fixed fast and the previous-day backup was restored.

What can be source of the error?
109 REPLIES 109

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same exact problem. I have an ASUS desktop as well with a 970 GTX. The box even said "VR ready" on the front of it. I've had my rift since December and have had ZERO issues until I tried to use it yesterday (hadn't used it in two weeks) and once I plugged it into my USB port I immediately got the BSOD with the same error. I had to do a windows reset and reinstall everything including oculus home. Once I had everything installed, I plugged my rift back in and immediately got the same error and BSOD loop and had to reset again. Needless to say I am pretty irate at this point. Has anyone found a fix yet? 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sorry to hear that. Would you mind grabbing your log files and then uploading them here? You should also submit a ticket to support so we can better keep track of the issue. Thanks.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cyber, do I need to reinstall the oculus software do give you the logs? I can't get any logs after I plug in my rift because it will immediately crash my system again. 

Sparmane
Honored Guest
Mine is now stuck in a restart loop with the blue screen and the error message. Also have no windows boot disc so basically looks like the rift has ruined my rig. Wtf

Sparmane
Honored Guest
Oh and there's no asus anything on my rig so nothing to do with that 

cybereality
Grand Champion
I see. Yeah, it may be hard to pull the logs then. However, the Windows crash dumps may be useful if you can manage to login under safe mode. I'd recommend reaching out to support in any case for further help. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Sparmane
Honored Guest
Oculus support isn't great mate and you know it. 48hr response!? Insane. I'd understand if I had a low end rig but it is far from it and was working perfectly fine yesterday. Waited a long time for the rift and now grimacing over the fact I'm going to have to return it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Once I get to the BSOD loop I can't run in safe mode at all. My only option is to do a full system reset. I'll reach out to support though. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sparmane.. Do you have windows 10? If so, start up your PC and let it get to the BSOD again and it will restart and try to repair the error. Eventually it will give you an option to restore at a prior point. Select that and more than likely it won't correct the issue, however it will say that the repair failed and give you the ability to select advanced options. Click on the advanced options and in one of the options (Can't recall the exact one) you will be able to select "Reset this PC". Now, this will erase all installed programs and allow you to keep anything in your personal or download folders and will reinstall a fresh windows. This did the trick for me. 

Sparmane
Honored Guest
Yeah I tried that. Failed now just stuck at the first bsod where it tells us Windows has been unable to start and that it will restart