Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please sign for free locomotion

favanight
Protege
Just read about the upcoming games from GDC 2017:

- Arktika 1 : teleporting (Q3 2017)
- Killing floor incursion: teleporting (Q3 2017)
- Mage's tale: teleporting
- From other suns: teleporting

for me teleporting should be an option but not a must .....
128 REPLIES 128

danknugz
Superstar
signed, onward was proof that i can deal with locomotion, i have seen the light!
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

DarkTenka
Trustee

OpticKing said:

Signed, teleport changes the entire dynamics of a game. I believe it should be an option for those who DO get sick over free motion, but not the standard and certainly not the only way to move around. I'll tolerate teleport in robo recall(and any other must haves such as fallout vr, etc), but I can instantly tell I would have a much better time with free movement.

The problem is teleport is too cumbersome. You simply cannot point and click a place to move while simultaneously fending off bad guys swarming in to attack you, its like trying to do two things at once with the same control interface (pointing and shooting). If the game is meant to be fast paced, then teleport is an instant disruption to that fast paced nature and it just makes gameplay really awkward.

You can design around it, but it just means making the game slower paced, which puts VR game design too far behind flat game design and will make it too hard to entice newcomers who are experienced gamers. The teleport requirement is just a really bad idea in general for VR, it's already so hard to convey the experience since they can't see/interact with it in anyway that compares with the real thing. Telling people that the VR games cannot do something that flat games can just risks having VR seen as a "gimmick" rather than a legitimate platform.

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
Is there an actual petition somewhere, or are people just replying "Signed" to this thread?  If it's the latter, and the intent is to get a count of how many people in this community are trying to show support for the idea, maybe a poll format would work better?

Either way, sign me up!

SeargentMofo
Explorer
Signed! 

Javelin396
Adventurer
SIGNED. like alot of people i got really  bad nausea at first from using the rift when i first got it when playing games with twin stick locomotion/camera movement, mostly from doom 3 bfg and Elite dangerous. when playing i could probably only play for about 30-45 mins before having to really take a break and rest. however, after sticking with it for awhile, i got used to it. im not gonna say that everyone can get used to it and should be forced to used to it. However,  i think those that people who had their first experience  with free locomotion  movement systems feel uncomfortable at first, might wanna consider if they want to try to do the same. Im just saying its possible to become accustom to, but every should consider how they personally feel about it. That said, having the option between teleporting and free locomotion should definitely  be an option as much as possible, especially for single player games where you dont have to worried about putting some players at a disadvantage because of the difference between how other players move.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Signed. The option is definitely needed.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

OpticKing
Expert Trustee

KillCard said:

OpticKing said:

Signed, teleport changes the entire dynamics of a game. I believe it should be an option for those who DO get sick over free motion, but not the standard and certainly not the only way to move around. I'll tolerate teleport in robo recall(and any other must haves such as fallout vr, etc), but I can instantly tell I would have a much better time with free movement.

The problem is teleport is too cumbersome. You simply cannot point and click a place to move while simultaneously fending off bad guys swarming in to attack you, its like trying to do two things at once with the same control interface (pointing and shooting). If the game is meant to be fast paced, then teleport is an instant disruption to that fast paced nature and it just makes gameplay really awkward.

You can design around it, but it just means making the game slower paced, which puts VR game design too far behind flat game design and will make it too hard to entice newcomers who are experienced gamers. The teleport requirement is just a really bad idea in general for VR, it's already so hard to convey the experience since they can't see/interact with it in anyway that compares with the real thing. Telling people that the VR games cannot do something that flat games can just risks having VR seen as a "gimmick" rather than a legitimate platform.

I agree, but you do see the issue devs have right? 1: make it free locomotion - a chunk o' people get sick review it and sales drop or 2: make it teleport - people can play the game sans nausea but are miffed about the immersion breaking and game mechanic change that comes with it. or 3: make both and try to somehow balance your game mechanics so both are equal during use.

Some games simply won't work with both, seems like robo recall is one that can't really do both (but who knows maybe an update will bring it, I really hope so) but they've implemented teleport into the gameplay in a way that it's used regularly in fights, even making it an objective to teleport in mid fight to use it like an advantage. I'd love if it (and every game) was free locomotion only as it doesn't affect me at all. However my wife is, and it seems callous to say oh well get used to it or don't play it.

When 3d games first started coming out they did the same thing to many people, nausea and headaches, but as people used it more and more they became immune to it, and now finding someone that it happens to on a 2d monitor is rare. It's likely that vr will follow the same path, it will just take time and dev implementation to curtail it for now.

DarkTenka
Trustee

OpticKing said:

KillCard said:

OpticKing said:

I agree, but you do see the issue devs have right? 1: make it free locomotion - a chunk o' people get sick review it and sales drop or 2: make it teleport - people can play the game sans nausea but are miffed about the immersion breaking and game mechanic change that comes with it. or 3: make both and try to somehow balance your game mechanics so both are equal during use.

That issue is a fallacy, they really think people are that stupid that they can't figure out to stop using a mode that causes them to feel ill? This "my target audience is a moron" approach to development is just the wrong way to go about it. Have it optional, have it default to safe.

If they are smart enough to FIND the option to change locomotion to free, they are smart enough to know when/how they should be using it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out .. christ! I know people are stupid, but they're not THAT stupid.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
signed. 

I tried free locomotion in Arizona Sunshine and experienced no nausea. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zandil
Rising Star
Signed