Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disney Movies VR

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Today I downloaded this new Free Experience:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1437254706307136/

So far I have only gone through the Star Wars section. I'm looking forward to the Marvel update, and soon I will go through the Disney-specific experiences.

If you haven't tried this yet, while the main menu screen is pretty awesome, the actual experiences themselves are simply 360 films, where the quality and scale may be less-than-desirable on a Rift. I think this type of experience is best for Mobile-VR.

What I did find rather fantastic was the behind-the-scenes footage of Rogue One. I think the App is worth the download just for that brief glimpse of being on a Star Wars film set.

But I decided to make this thread after going through the "Spy" experience, because even though the video quality (as experienced on the Rift) wasn't that great, I did love the way the Player is able to "click" to move on to the next film scene. A very simplistic concept, however, I immediately began to think of all the possibilities for adventure/puzzle games that center on interactive film.

I'm someone who began PC gaming in the early 90's, and "interactive movie" games were all the rage for awhile:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_interactive_movies

My first introduction to this genre was with: Dracula Unleashed

But there are far more popular cult classic titles such as:
Gabriel Knight (the Beast Within), Phatasmorgia, and The 11th Hour

And if you notice the timeline on the Wikipedia link I provided above, you can see that in the 90's the number of these games released was much, much larger than the number released post-2000. However, now with Virtual Reality there is a part of me hoping that this gaming genre can make a comeback. They were always a personal favorite (like that one shirt, pair of pants, or shoes you keep in the back of the closet because you refuse to throw it away); and I really look forward to VR Interactive Movie games becoming a valued edition to my VR Library.

If done correctly they can have truly epic potential for multiple genres, and give rise to a new form of story-telling and filming.

11 REPLIES 11

CrashFu
Consultant
So is this one of those 360 video apps where the quality seems to differ wildly from one person to the next (like that Obama in the National Park one from a while back)   or is it just low quality to begin with?

Guess it wouldn't hurt to download and check out, being free and all.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
Just in case people are put off by the 360 videos (which aren't that great imo), two of the Disney experiences are actually in real-time (The Jungle Book one with Kaa, and the Beauty and the Beast one with Lumiere).
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer
So, I assume these are all streaming experiences (though maybe not the ones Fluke mentions)? If so, I'll pass until I get better internet, hopefully about one month from now.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
You can download the films locally instead of streaming. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Disney videos are better on this app. 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
This has been around for ages since last May last year as I remember letting my son watch the scenes. The Jungle Book Snake is good, the menu is excellent but the 360 videos are low quality poop even though there are options to download or stream. At least there was in the early build. Maybe they improved it since then?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@Shadowmask72 you just sent me to an HTC Vive link. How dare you, sir!

Clearly I'm talking about the Oculus Rift version, which just hit the App store this week.

I'm not sure how much has improved, but I wouldn't call in sick to work for this one. The main point of my post was a discussion on nostalgia for interactive movie games.

Raradin
Honored Guest
Note the Beauty and the Beast one is VR with touch enabled. It even has some achievements to obtain, so it is almost a little mini game.

mosiff
Expert Protege
I found the "Trust me" (the one with the snake from jungle book) interesting. Right before the end I felt very weird.