cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Elite Dangerous

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm doing generally OK but could use some advice on a few things, some Rift-specific, some not:

1.  How do you all use the Galactic Map with the HMD?  I can't figure out how you're supposed to select destinations from the map.  I can choose a destination from the Transactions screen when looking at a Mission Description but it seems like I should be able to do it from the map itself.  I can scroll the map sideways, and zoom in and out but haven't found any way to move it up and down.  While moving it, what seems like random selections will become available at time and I can select those but see no way to explicitly aim at one.  Is that just not possible with the HMD?

2.  I'm currently using a Saitek X52 I have had for years.  It's set to defaults in its profile and I'm using the X52 setup within the game.  Anything better anyone recommends - different profile, newer HOTAS, etc?  I'm finding a distinct lack of buttons to be a bother.

3.  I notice a Controls option to Use Chaff Launcher.  Does that mean if I bind a button to that it is no longer necessary to have it in a fire group bound to the primary or secondary trigger.

4.  What is Headlook?  Do I care about it with the Rift?

5.  I started in Solo mode.  Does that lock me into that mode for this Commander or can I change to Open mode at will?

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

kojack
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

Elite is one of the most complicated games I've ever played.

You should try DCS. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TheWombatCave
Protege

kevink808 said:

This game looks really cool, but appears to be a steep learning curve.  I don't get longer than an hour or so on a rare night to play something, so can't really get into this.  Maybe when my kids go to college in 15 years. 😉

With multicrew just get them into the cockpit with you and take some of the tactical controls, LOL.  ED really is designed as more of a simulator than a game, and therefore will have a niche market.  That is why they added Arena for those that just want to jump in and play, but half the time Arena doesn't show anyone playing.  You can try the training missions they have added at the start, it is a good way to learn various functions without losing your ship and having to start over.  I had some friends over the other night showing off the VR hardware and let him play my Elite Dangerous.  He left starport pulled trigger and was instantly destroyed.  There went $6 Million credits in insurance cost.  Note to self, no more letting friends play my Elite.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheWombatCave
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vrcave/
CV1 | HTC Vive | Virtuix Omni | Logitech G25 Racing

MowTin
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

MowTin said:

You should try DCS. 🙂

It can't possibly be more complicated. I'm not talking about simulator complicated. I'm talking about what are these powers I can join? which should I join? What are the benefits? Why is everyone shooting at me? Why am I wanted? How do I clear my wanted status? I can't find my mission goal? How do I make enough money? The f-ing map says the commodity I'm looking for is on this planet but I can't find it? And on and on and on...

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Bloodlet
Rising Star
Elite is a confusing rabbit hole. The more you look into it the deeper it seems to go.
Keep it simple to start with until you get to grips with the basics.

Don't worry about the superpowers until you feel ready.
Then it's normally best to start with the power that controls the area you spend most time in.

You become wanted by shooting a clean ship or police ship. I normally clear the bounty by getting into a station fast and switching to a sidewinder, (preferably the free starter one) then getting myself shot by a police ship or the station itself. Bounty cleared switch back to my main ship. (just remember to cash in any bounties you've earned first as you lose them when you die).

Making money:

If you like killing go bounty hunting at a resourse extraction site.
If you like trading check out the trade routes around your system.
If you want to do missions from the mission board try to work for the same factions. The higher your reputation/friendliness with them the better paid jobs they offer.
If you want to run passengers, it works the same way as missions.

The rest of your questions are pretty much dependant on the mission or luck. The deep space scanner will normally ping your objective. It will show as a globe icon on your navigation panel even if the planet/spaceport it's on is still listed as unexplored. (auto scanning the nav beacon also works and will show the whole system if it's too large for your deep space scanner).

MowTin
Expert Trustee
@Bloodlet

Thanks, my questions were rhetorical. I know the basics. I have 15 Mil, a fully loaded Vulture and some other minor ships. 

I tried trading but got incredibly frustrated with it. I don't know if they fixed trading recently. The problem was that the map would indicate something was flowing out of a planet and nothing was flowing in. A source, right? I go there and nothing. 

I go online and I'm told to use various websites that keep track of commodity locations. Really? I have to get out of the game and go to a website? 

Sorry, I get frustrated when I think back to those experiences. 

I tried mining but finding the valuable mining materials also involved using websites. Moreover, the payout just wasn't balanced properly so that it made sense to do. Why can't they balance things so that the same time spent mining, trading or bounty hunting led to the same profit. As it is, only bounty hunting makes any sense. 

Then there is the confusing horror of USS and Points of Interests. 

I love this game and I also really hate it. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

kojack said:

MowTin said:

You should try DCS. 🙂

It can't possibly be more complicated. I'm not talking about simulator complicated. I'm talking about what are these powers I can join? which should I join? What are the benefits? Why is everyone shooting at me? Why am I wanted? How do I clear my wanted status? I can't find my mission goal? How do I make enough money? The f-ing map says the commodity I'm looking for is on this planet but I can't find it? And on and on and on...

By my definition, taking 36 pages of the manual just to explain how to turn the engine on makes it a complicated game. 🙂

MowTin said:

@Bloodlet

I tried trading but got incredibly frustrated with it. I don't know if they fixed trading recently. The problem was that the map would indicate something was flowing out of a planet and nothing was flowing in. A source, right? I go there and nothing. 
I tried mining but finding the valuable mining materials also involved using websites. Moreover, the payout just wasn't balanced properly so that it made sense to do. Why can't they balance things so that the same time spent mining, trading or bounty hunting led to the same profit. As it is, only bounty hunting makes any sense. 

Yeah, the trading and mining are lacking. the vast majority of all the money I've earned in Elite was from bounty hunting and community goals. Which is very different to when I played Elite, Elite Plus, Elite 2 and Elite 3, where I mainly did trading.

X3 has a much better trading system. You can drop off satellite relays in any sector, they show you a real time map of the sector and provide a live feed of market prices there. I can sit in one system, monitoring a bunch of satellites, then send off one of my trade ships to grab stuff. There's even a stock market to trade on (in X3 Albion Prelude).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer

MowTin said:

@Bloodlet

Thanks, my questions were rhetorical. I know the basics. I have 15 Mil, a fully loaded Vulture and some other minor ships. 

I go online and I'm told to use various websites that keep track of commodity locations. Really? I have to get out of the game and go to a website? 

Sorry, I get frustrated when I think back to those experiences. 

Then there is the confusing horror of USS and Points of Interests. 

I love this game and I also really hate it. 

time for an ingame web browser such as the one in Eveonline ...it really saves a lot of time

MowTin
Expert Trustee

time for an ingame web browser such as the one in Eveonline ...it really saves a lot of time

That would really help. But I'm a programmer. I know how easy it would be to create source the data in game from a website. People could upload info using a browser and view it in game. 

I think they wanted people to go from station to station until they found something. 

I didn't even talk about whole USS system. 

I don't want to trash the game. It's really awesome in VR. Bounty hunting is somewhat straight forward. Just be sure you don't go into a haz site with cargo or in a system a hostile to you. And for the love of God never shoot until your scan is complete and the ship is wanted even if the ship is obviously wanted and being pursued by other system authority ships.  🙂

Actually, they fixed some of the most frustration mission bugs. 

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer
I'm a total newb to Elite in VR. I have the Astra voice pack. Last thing I did was training missions. Need to do the mining training then start a mission to scrap the unwanted components on the starter ship and get better stuff to go farther.  If anyone else wants to help a newb , or if any newbs want to train together , especially with the 2.3 multi-crew let me know. I'll be a worthy hand to have on board. My commander name is Puke StarRider